You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Gun shows are they a problem


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 124
Default

I want no govt or any man women or child to mess with my god givin right to bear arms. I have been to a few shows when they came to town and now i have never ran into a loaded weapon on display that would be just stupid and the person who had the weapon on display should be SHOT. As for for buying weapons at a gun show i like to think that people that are doing the buy and selling are all going to be on the up and up but frankly thats not always the case but you cant let the few ruin it for the many so i say just becareful who buy from what you buy and do your own home work because what one person is selling somebody prolly else is selling to.. If it sounds to good to be true it prolly is. So go to gun shows have fun buy buy buy and mingle what can it hurt.
dirtysouth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,156
Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Guns are dangerous tools. Cars are dangerous tools. People get hurt and killed at car racing events (NHRA, NASCAR, INDY, CART, etc). That does not get teh same knee jerk reaction from the public. "Oh my gosh! A spectator was killed at NASCAR race by flying debris after a collision. We must ban all cars!!!"
What about the penis? How many people get hurt because of penis related incidents.
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 1,657
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The only problem with gun shows is that there aren't enough big ones. Here in Las Vegas we get quite a few shows but most are in small venues (like the "meeting rooms" of casinos). The only really good ones are at Cashman Field because that is a HUGE convention space and there is plenty of room for a LOT of distributors. Other than that, I see no problem, whatsoever, with them. I've never seen gun sales at these shows done without the necessary Nevada paperwork being completed.
AcidFlashGordon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
What about the penis? How many people get hurt because of penis related incidents.
I bet you have, orangello!
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,156
Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I bet you have, orangello!
Well, i did lose a few tires to the knife of jealousy.
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 346
Default

We discussed this incident at the gun store I used to work. Do you guys know the "range officer" was a 17yr old kid? The gun show was run and owned by the Sheriff of that town.
1. Father should know better and dont allowed his 8yr to handle a fully auto pistol. Common sense say he is to young to handle the recoil.
2. A 17yr old kid doesn't have the experience necessary to instruct or supervise a child with a fully auto.

Guys. The reason I mention this is because I haved worked with customers of all ages with fully automatics for 4 yrs. Our common sense at the store that a kid that small could handle it. The youngest I have deal with was 10yrs and he shot an mp5.

Awful and tragic. I can imagine the father witnessing the death of his son.
To concluded....bad supervision by event staff. Bad judgment by father.

Last edited by james_black; 10-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.
james_black is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Windwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma
Posts: 80
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

As a private owner, I have bought and sold several guns at gun shows. If someone was looking at a gun I had for sale and made the statement that he was buying from an individual because he could not pass a background check, I would thank him for his interest but would not sell him the gun. That is just my personal reaction.
__________________
America: Love it and protect it or leave it!
In God I Trust
I Support Arizona
Windwalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
As a private owner, I have bought and sold several guns at gun shows. If someone was looking at a gun I had for sale and made the statement that he was buying from an individual because he could not pass a background check, I would thank him for his interest but would not sell him the gun. That is just my personal reaction.
Right....but do you carry the forms with you? Or are you going to take some crazy idiot's word for it?
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #19
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

In WA we have gun shows where people can buy, sell or trade firearm with out the paperwork. I believe most who sell at the show screen those they sell to as you would in any private sale. Often I have seen sellers pass on a guy who walks up and says "I want that one", they like to talk a bit about the gun and learn a bit about the person wanting to buy it. On another level we have WA State Arms Collectors, you have to be a member to buy, sell or trade at the show and have to pass a background check to be a member. I have bought and sold in both venues and doubt I have sold a firearm to a criminal and have never purchased a "hot" gun. Every purchase I make is followed up with the serial number check with the State patrol and that include purchases from a pawn shop.

Gun show are a way for people to sell, buy or trade there firearms with out the middle man. Imagine if the only way you could buy, sell or trade your car was through an authorized car dealership. Before you say it isn't the same thing google deaths caused by privatily owned cars and compare it to deaths caused by privatily owned firearms.

The OP example is the extreame example, A full auto "rent to shoot" event compared to the more common unloaded firearms shows. The gun show I attend I have to leave my conseal firearm (that I have a license for) in the car or have it zipped tied in an unfire postion. Every gun the in show I go to have the actions zipped tied in an unfire condition, if that isn't possible they have a trigger lock installed. The show in the OP was a full auto shooting event, not the normal gun show.
__________________
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
In WA we have gun shows where people can buy, sell or trade firearm with out the paperwork. I believe most who sell at the show screen those they sell to as you would in any private sale. Often I have seen sellers pass on a guy who walks up and says "I want that one", they like to talk a bit about the gun and learn a bit about the person wanting to buy it. On another level we have WA State Arms Collectors, you have to be a member to buy, sell or trade at the show and have to pass a background check to be a member. I have bought and sold in both venues and doubt I have sold a firearm to a criminal and have never purchased a "hot" gun. Every purchase I make is followed up with the serial number check with the State patrol and that include purchases from a pawn shop.

Gun show are a way for people to sell, buy or trade there firearms with out the middle man. Imagine if the only way you could buy, sell or trade your car was through an authorized car dealership. Before you say it isn't the same thing google deaths caused by privatily owned cars and compare it to deaths caused by privatily owned firearms.

The OP example is the extreame example, A full auto "rent to shoot" event compared to the more common unloaded firearms shows. The gun show I attend I have to leave my conseal firearm (that I have a license for) in the car or have it zipped tied in an unfire postion. Every gun the in show I go to have the actions zipped tied in an unfire condition, if that isn't possible they have a trigger lock installed. The show in the OP was a full auto shooting event, not the normal gun show.
Many of those responsible for rampages that left many dead were intelligent people. I'm sure they could speak intelligently.....well enough to fool a private seller at a gun show. Just my opinion, and I don't live in Washington, but selling privately at a gun show could potentially be putting firearms into the hands of the wrong people. And the "selling of the car" analogy is apples to oranges, IMO.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shopping at Gun shows Gergify General Rifle Discussion 15 09-18-2009 02:44 AM
Questions about gun shows laynejc Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 02-19-2009 10:39 PM
gun shows cattivo The Club House 3 02-25-2008 11:34 PM