Gun shows are they a problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun shows are they a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun shows are they a problem

Now like any good card carrying gun lugging nuckle dragging male i like to go to gun and knife shows. There are some great deals to be had from them and its also good to talk to other gun people. But should there be more thought and planning regulating some of these shows.

With kids being killed at gun show because of careless parents and careless dealers.

With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.
8-year-old shoots himself in the head at a Massachusetts gun show.

Christopher Bizilj was testing a 9 mm Micro Uzi at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass., as part of the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, when he shot himself Sunday.

"The firearm instructor prepped the weapon for him, and once it was ready he handed it to the child," Westfield Police Lt. Hipolito Nunez told ABCNews.com today. Christopher then pulled the trigger, and the gun's recoil pulled the barrel upward, causing a round to hit him on the right side of his head, according Nunez. He was pronounced dead a short time later at Baystate Medical Center in nearby Springfield.

We also have the little sting operation that was done.
small video to look at

What it boils down to is that some booths are not doing back ground checks on people

gun show loophole - Google News

I think with good judgement by people then most anything can be avoided that kid didnt need to die. And sellers need o be a little more careful on who they sale to inless they want to lose there rights. tell me what you thank

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

People selling their personally owned firearms may do so in most States without paperwork or background checks. This is supposed to allow me to sell a shotgun, rifle or pistol from my personal collection without the hassel of the check but what has happened is theat folks are buying guns and reselling them at gun shows.

This is still within the law as the weapons are their personal collection, just seems some have a very large collection.

As for the issue with the youngster with a fully automatic weapon, this was a sad incident where insufficient training and supervision lead to the childs death. As bad as a parent who does not buckle their child into a car seat, leaves them in a closed car while they shop or home alone while they work.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

The bottom of the bell curve ALWAYS makes life more difficult for everyone else. Fact is, you posted two noted incidents in the past 2 years. In that time MILLIONS of guns were bought and sold, BILLIONS of rounds have been shot without incident.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Now like any good card carrying gun lugging nuckle dragging male i like to go to gun and knife shows. There are some great deals to be had from them and its also good to talk to other gun people. But should there be more thought and planning regulating some of these shows.

With kids being killed at gun show because of careless parents and careless dealers.

With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.
8-year-old shoots himself in the head at a Massachusetts gun show.

Christopher Bizilj was testing a 9 mm Micro Uzi at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass., as part of the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, when he shot himself Sunday.

"The firearm instructor prepped the weapon for him, and once it was ready he handed it to the child," Westfield Police Lt. Hipolito Nunez told ABCNews.com today. Christopher then pulled the trigger, and the gun's recoil pulled the barrel upward, causing a round to hit him on the right side of his head, according Nunez. He was pronounced dead a short time later at Baystate Medical Center in nearby Springfield.

We also have the little sting operation that was done.
small video to look at

What it boils down to is that some booths are not doing back ground checks on people

gun show loophole - Google News

I think with good judgement by people then most anything can be avoided that kid didnt need to die. And sellers need o be a little more careful on who they sale to inless they want to lose there rights. tell me what you thank
Gee let me see what I think,

Are you people really buying into the liberal BS, close up the Gunshows because some stupid ass dealer and equally guilty father allowed a kid to shoot an uzi??
Thought this was a gun forum, sorry for my mistake.
I guess being further south is a different climate in more ways than one.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have bought quite a few guns at gun shows and have never seen a dealer sell a gun without doing the proper paper work and now background check. Are there a few doing it wrong,I am sure there are,but they will not keep their federal firearms liscense very long or their freedom. I would like to see the statistics on sales from a dealer verses private sales at gun shows,I would bet 95 percent of sales go legally through dealers. I see all the controversy coming from a bunch of liberal blowhards trying to blow smoke up all the sheeples arse.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

50 years of attending gun shows and I can't think of one that had dealers displaying loaded weapons.

I think the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass. incidence was a negligent outcome from two culpable individuals (father and firearm instructor) and a totally different purview than a true "Gun Show" that is being vilified by the lamestream media.

In the prophetic words of our resident, uncommon sense, balance beam:

“The stupid it burns.”

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

The firearm instructor prepped the weapon for him, and once it was ready he handed it to the child," Westfield Police Lt. Hipolito Nunez told ABCNews.com today. Christopher then pulled the trigger, and the gun's recoil pulled the barrel upward, causing a round to hit him on the right side of his head, according Nunez. He was pronounced dead a short time later at Baystate Medical Center in nearby Springfield.

Firearm Instructor my ass!!! I associate with, teach and train with Certified Firearm Instructors, and I do not know one that would not assist a young child, let alone an 8 year old boy, by not standing behind him and assisting support of the weapon and child, especially shooting an automatic weapon for the first time. Piss poor Instructor in my book. Also, loaded weapons and gun shows usually are a bad mix. JMHO yours may vary.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I think the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass. incidence was a negligent outcome from two culpable individuals (father and firearm instructor) and a totally different purview than a true "Gun Show" that is being vilified by the lamestream media.
I was under the impression that was a dedicated shooting experience at which people could pay to test fire some weapons that require special licenses and such to own as well as some classic military arms like Browning machine guns. I was also thinking that happened about a year ago.

I have made a purchase of a rifle from a person selling from his personal collection at a gunshow. I would prefer that the feds stay out of the business of regulating personal transfers. I had been background checked for a pistol purchase at a gunshop maybe a few weeks before this personal transfer. The guy i purchased the rifle from had no more than maybe a half dozen rifles & a table full of accessories (most of which seemed to have come from the rifles for sale).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hell yes gun shows are a problem!

I don't particularly like walking down the aisle of the grocery store picking out whatever food tastes good while Dr. Bicep is over there with his black tank top on holding package after package and reading ingredients.

I don't need that kind of reminder of what kind of shape I am not in. Geez.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

That was not a gun show in the usual sense of the phrase. It was an outdoor event with live fire of (mostly) machine guns. All such firearms are already regulated to the nth degree.

Guns are dangerous tools. Cars are dangerous tools. People get hurt and killed at car racing events (NHRA, NASCAR, INDY, CART, etc). That does not get teh same knee jerk reaction from the public. "Oh my gosh! A spectator was killed at NASCAR race by flying debris after a collision. We must ban all cars!!!"

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball