Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Gun Shows (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gun-shows-28273/)

FlBob518 06-13-2010 11:44 PM

Gun Shows

I think Gun Shows have changed. What market are they aimed at?? I am starting to feel that they are mostly aimed at the beginner. The one I went to in Clearwater, FL yesterday was a pleasant departure from the usual "sea of black polymer". It was put on by 2 Guys, LLC, and was mostly used stuff.

I have noticed the couple of gun shows that MSRP seems to be the low price and they up after that. You would think after moving all that stuff for two days, they would want to sell the most they could. USED Ruger LCP for $350.00?? That type of price structure has not been uncommon at the Tampa show and and locally.

I guess it gives you a chance to see what you want and then buy it from your favorite local gun dealer (mine is Cracker Boys) and get it for much cheaper.

Who knows where it came from, but there was a ton of bagged .380 ammo there.

c3shooter 06-14-2010 12:17 AM

Have pretty much been disappointed in my last 5 shows. I have all the costume jewelry and beef jerky I need, along with the "Death from Above" T-Shirts.

If I am looking for a new-in-da-box gun, I have 6 local dealers to shop. I collect older firearms, mostly 1940s-50s, and have a soft spot for Mossberg 22s. I have more Mossys than the last 5 shows I attended.

At one time, shows were the stomping grounds for the part time dealer- the guy with the odds and ends, and the holy cow, lookatthat- have not seen one of those in a long time- what price does he have, does he haggle, will he take a C&R FFL? Unfortunately. looks like the Feds killed most of those folks off.

Sorry, I'll go put the soap box away now..............:cool:

FlBob518 06-14-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 299386)
Have pretty much been disappointed in my last 5 shows. I have all the costume jewelry and beef jerky I need, along with the "Death from Above" T-Shirts.

If I am looking for a new-in-da-box gun, I have 6 local dealers to shop. I collect older firearms, mostly 1940s-50s, and have a soft spot for Mossberg 22s. I have more Mossys than the last 5 shows I attended.

At one time, shows were the stomping grounds for the part time dealer- the guy with the odds and ends, and the holy cow, lookatthat- have not seen one of those in a long time- what price does he have, does he haggle, will he take a C&R FFL? Unfortunately. looks like the Feds killed most of those folks off.

Sorry, I'll go put the soap box away now..............:cool:

I too have a fondness for old Mossberg .22s. I have a model 142 that I bought when I was 15 for $10.00 used. Still shoots fine after countless rounds. I saw one at the show yesterday and just wanted the stock. It was a bolt action and he wanted $400. That wasn't even CLOSE to what it was worth.

Rick1967 06-14-2010 02:12 AM

Every time I have been to a gun show in the last 2 years it seems like they are just looking for the next sucker to pay twice what everything is worth. $33 for a box of 22lr. They had them at Walmart for $19 the same day!

DrumJunkie 06-14-2010 02:21 AM

It's been like that since the last election. Prices all shot up in lieu of the next ban (Still waiting). There are a lot of dealers that frequent these shows that are still trying to capitalize on the panic. Prices have dropped on some the last couple shows I went to but they still are not where they should be. Dealers and online sellers that once have or are still trying to gouge those too scared to pass the price up are the worst of the worst. In my opinion they are no better than the grabbers themselves. Many will spout crap about the larger demand an d suppliers not keeping up. I might have let that go a little last year but even the AR makers have caught up . There is no reason to pay 650.00 for a damn WASR.

Bigcat_hunter 06-14-2010 02:24 AM

I don't know what shows you guys go to but the shows here are VERY competitive. Most guns are marked up 10% at most. Cheaper then Bi-Mart and Wal Mart yet most people still think they are getting ripped off. The fact is that there is not much money in this business due to manufactures cost to the wholesalers.

DrumJunkie 06-14-2010 02:55 AM

I bought an M70 for 475.00 at a show a couple years ago. I seen the same rifle at the same booth at the next show selling at 650.00. Was that the manufacturer jacking up the price? When I asked about the price I was told I better get one now because they where getting banned soon. The difference between the two show was the election. The last show I seen the same dealer selling the same rifles still and the are around 550.00 now. ASking about itu again I was again told that supply was drying up and there was going to be no more because of an upcoming gun ban. THe same mind set is played out again and again. Yes, there are a lot of new buyers out therre getting a gun because they are afraid they wont be able ot later. Many of these new buyers probably would not be looking at all. Thees are the people that always say "Yeah one day I'd like to get a gun". Bbut they never got in a hurry becausae they knew that the gun was always going ot be there for them to get when they got around to it. But now the ban is just around the corner! Web blogs, political pages, tin foil hat sites are all predicting the gloom and doom for the 2A. THis forum is a perfect example. There are tons of new to guns" people. Are all of these people scared and getting while the getting is good? Of course not. But some are. Some that might have went to a gun show or knew someone that did got the news that the ban is coming and time is a wastin'. This fear is what helped put ammo makers behind for a while. and how many heard about Brand X the AR maker that was 12-16 month behind on orders?

Yeah, prices are up. Check out one of the new price guides. I have one here that shows a Para LTC in Exel. condition at 575.00. The last one I got to look at that was at a show was 675.00 and it had a good bit holster wear and really needed cleaning. The seller said I had an eye for a quality weapon and I should jump on it because they are imported from Canada (there is a U.S. factory now) and imports are going to stop soon. It's the baaaan!!! THe BAAAANN!!! :rolleyes:

Prices are up because people are willing to pay them. And a gun show is a great place to find a sucker that will. It's amazing how the price falls when you get talking to the dealer and he figures out you are not a fear buyer.

Bigcat_hunter 06-14-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 299487)
I bought an M70 for 475.00 at a show a couple years ago. I seen the same rifle at the same booth at the next show selling at 650.00. Was that the manufacturer jacking up the price? When I asked about the price I was told I better get one now because they where getting banned soon. The difference between the two show was the election. The last show I seen the same dealer selling the same rifles still and the are around 550.00 now. ASking about itu again I was again told that supply was drying up and there was going to be no more because of an upcoming gun ban. THe same mind set is played out again and again. Yes, there are a lot of new buyers out therre getting a gun because they are afraid they wont be able ot later. Many of these new buyers probably would not be looking at all. Thees are the people that always say "Yeah one day I'd like to get a gun". Bbut they never got in a hurry becausae they knew that the gun was always going ot be there for them to get when they got around to it. But now the ban is just around the corner! Web blogs, political pages, tin foil hat sites are all predicting the gloom and doom for the 2A. THis forum is a perfect example. There are tons of new to guns" people. Are all of these people scared and getting while the getting is good? Of course not. But some are. Some that might have went to a gun show or knew someone that did got the news that the ban is coming and time is a wastin'. This fear is what helped put ammo makers behind for a while. and how many heard about Brand X the AR maker that was 12-16 month behind on orders?

Yeah, prices are up. Check out one of the new price guides. I have one here that shows a Para LTC in Exel. condition at 575.00. The last one I got to look at that was at a show was 675.00 and it had a good bit holster wear and really needed cleaning. The seller said I had an eye for a quality weapon and I should jump on it because they are imported from Canada (there is a U.S. factory now) and imports are going to stop soon. It's the baaaan!!! THe BAAAANN!!! :rolleyes:

Prices are up because people are willing to pay them. And a gun show is a great place to find a sucker that will. It's amazing how the price falls when you get talking to the dealer and he figures out you are not a fear buyer.

Prices skyrocketed after the election. Dealers could not buy enough guns to sell to there customers so prices went up. When dealers can not supply the product for there customer they have to raise prices to live. In 2009 it was almost impossible for a small dealer to get one...yes one AR-15 to re-sell to a customer for nearly 10 months. Now the market is flooded with AR-15's.

Dealers are not ripping people off. If you pay $650.00 for a new model 70 then you are buying it about $15.00 over cost. I just checked and the cheapest M70 I can get is a featherweight wholesale price of $635.06 before shipping.

zhuk 06-14-2010 05:25 AM

Actually "sea of black polymer" doesn't sound so bad (when you are forbidden such things lol)

Probably as they're such rare events and the target market is so miniscule here, gun shows have a definate sense of the parochial novelty in this country. And there's also a real feeling of "being with your own kind", if I can put it like that :p

Don't imagine it feels quite like that in the US, due to size & frequency.

DrumJunkie 06-14-2010 06:18 AM

Some of the more reputable dealers around here have the M70 around $550.00

Yeah, supply couldn't meat demand for about a year after the election. I guess the supply is still behind now for some of the venders:rolleyes: