Gun Show
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Show

Obviously you all have probably attended multiple gun shows but I have never been to one before. I am planning on building an AR in the near future and there will be a gun show here in about a month (the only one all year in the area I believe). I was wondering if I would be able to buy a lower there and if so what kind of Identification and such am I going to need? Also are there usually good deals there or will it all be overpriced? Basically just looking for any advice you've got for me as it will be my first time there and I don't really have anyone else to go with that has been to these things. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Go for a decent brand -- Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster, etc. There are stories about Olympic Arms and a few other brands where those parts don't mate well with parts from other manufacturers. (There are also higher-end brands, but they usually are hand-fitted together and come as complete rifles.)

What you will need depends on where you live and what the local laws are. ARs are illegal in any form in some parts of the country. An AR lower is the rifle in the eyes of the Feds, so they will do a NICS check when you buy your lower. Basically, you fill out a form and they call it in. It takes a few minutes. Assuming you are not a felon, you should get approved. You will need a picture ID (like a license) for the NICS check.

As far as pricing goes, check ar15.com in the Equipment Exchange and look at what new lowers are going for. Some will be complete with the lower parts kit (trigger group, grip) and some will be stripped. Price out complete lowers unless you enjoy fiddling with assembling stuff.

Good luck with the gun show. The ones around here don't bring many deals. Here's to hoping you have better luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

same here, been going to shows looking for AR parts and not having alot of luck, not many people there with parts other then the ones with complete rifles and selling them at a price higher then in the stores, you better know what ya looking for and what price or they will ream ya for sure

Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Know what you want, and the price you are willing to pay.
I have seen a few deals, and many over priced tables.
I will be looking ot build an AR maybe this summer, I have been told to
buy an upper and lower instead of a complete gun. I have seen an M4 Bushmaster built at a local gun shop complete gun for $700 - $800
The show I went to this weekend they were $1600 - $2000.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #5

Alright thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully there will be some tables with decent pricing. I only really plan on buying a lower there and everything else online so I don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping to an FFL dealer.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_P View Post
Alright thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully there will be some tables with decent pricing. I only really plan on buying a lower there and everything else online so I don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping to an FFL dealer.
If that's your concern, just contact any gun store or shooting range and ask about their FFL fees or if they can recommend an FFL. The fee should only be around $20.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
If that's your concern, just contact any gun store or shooting range and ask about their FFL fees or if they can recommend an FFL. The fee should only be around $20.
Really? I thought it was going to run me upwards of $100 to make a transaction, goes to show how much I know. Thanks for the information.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There is a gun show coming up on Apr.3,4,5 that I an sure that you can buy a complete AR lower for between $350 to $400 as long as you are not looking for anything special.
Where is the show you ask?
If you are any where east of the Mississippi this is the show to attend, it is worth the trip.
Knob Creek Gun Range