Gun safe suggestions/opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun safe suggestions/opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun safe suggestions/opinions

I am currently in the market for a gun safe I am looking at browning and winchester safes from my local gun store. I can get amazing deals with free home delivery and free help when I move.

I currently am leaning more towards the browning because of the door storage system.

If anyone can give me some insight into helping my decision. I don't want to spend more than 3 grand.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

It's been discussed quite a bit in the past. Here are some threads that contain some helpful information. $3k I think you can get a pretty decent safe. Something to keep in mind is that there is no standard for how the "fire rating" is tested so each brand might do it differently and the results might mean something different.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gun-safe-recommendations-27340/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/liberty-safe-centurion-22-a-38514/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/need-safe-what-do-you-guys-think-40247/ - More about gun cabinets than safes.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I assume that Browning and Winchester do not build their own safes, but contract their brands on another company's safe. I would look for the name Liberty.

Liberty is THE brand safe that I trust my stuff to. Their products are sold at their own stores, but also under other names. For instance, my father-in-law just bought a really nice safe that appears to be Cabela's own brand. But the manual clearly states Liberty.

I just read a few of those posts that Yunus suggests. I heard a lot of people suggest bigger than you originally think. Personally, I'd rather get multiple safes that I could eventually move (I won't always be in this house) than one big huge honker that will never go anywhere. Plus, I feel I NEED it in my bedroom. If I end up with more than fits, I'll buy another one for somewhere else.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 07-18-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #4

Well I am using the gun store that sponsors my trap and skeet team at school, and they only carry certain brands and I need at least a 40 gun storage. I want a big safe to keep most of my guns in. I am getting a cash deal and free delivery and installation, with free help when I move. I already have two small stack-on safes at home, extremely cheap ones, that are full. I need a big one to keep my expanding collection in.

Last edited by t-rav; 07-18-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Just remember you need a safe that holds at least 2 to 3 times the amount of firearms you own. I have a 23 gun safe and and can hardly fit my rifles (12 of them) in it.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got a Liberty Franklin series safe and think it was a very good investment.

Buy a safe at least double of what you need to store. You'll fill it up quicker than you think.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #7

Yea the one Im looking at getting would be full if I put everything in it. Im just wanting something around 40 cubic feet to be big enough for the majority of my guns I use regularly.