You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Gun safe recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Lon, I posted this pic somewhere here once before , but this has some real cool factor too. It is made by Browning and has a remote key pad that can be mounted in an out of the way place.
safe-door.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #42
lkd

I have a Dakota Safe myself (Dakota Safe Company - warning, they annoying play music when you first visit the page, adjust volume accordingly).

The safe itself can be disassembled and transported easily by two people (perfect for apartments, or for people that don't want to tell their neighbors, "Look at this big safe I"m having installed! I'm going to put a lot of guns in it!" ). It's very sturdy and provides great protectoin at a reasonable price. It's not for everybody though, and it's NOWHERE near as solid as a Graffunder, but nobody is going to open it with a pry bar or sledge hammer either. It also offers fire protection, but I tend to take fire ratings with a grain of salt.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a few months to go to work out which safe I'll be getting, as the police must check/approve of its construction/positioning before I can get a PTA (permit to acquire) for a firearm. Gonna go with an Aussie company when I do, but have you thought about anchoring the safe in a corner (with the door opening closest to one wall), Lon?

I plan to do this, which to my mind would making any jemmying all the harder to achieve...that and the minimum 4 compulsory dynabolts. Can't help but think its best to go as overboard as I can in that respect, as it might sway help sway the cops to give it the OK...well hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #44
lkd

Anchoring your safe should be a no-brainer, otherwise it's not really a safe, just a heavy shopping cart for motivated bad guys

Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #45

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
I've got a few months to go to work out which safe I'll be getting, as the police must check/approve of its construction/positioning before I can get a PTA (permit to acquire) for a firearm. Gonna go with an Aussie company when I do, but have you thought about anchoring the safe in a corner (with the door opening closest to one wall), Lon?

I plan to do this, which to my mind would making any jemmying all the harder to achieve...that and the minimum 4 compulsory dynabolts. Can't help but think its best to go as overboard as I can in that respect, as it might sway help sway the cops to give it the OK...well hopefully.
I was thinking that it would be MUCH easier to attach it to the studs in a wall through the back or one of the sides of the safe rather than anchoring it in the concrete floor. I guess, though, if a BG had the time and was really determined, it would be much easier to get to the bolts through a wall than through a concrete floor.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Lon, I personaly do not have a safe at this time, however, I dont know if they even come predrilled through the back, it could prove pretty difficult to do and could also reduce the fire rating. I DO think it would be good to mount to floor AND wall though as you can never be too secure.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #47

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good point.....

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #48

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I was thinking that it would be MUCH easier to attach it to the studs in a wall through the back or one of the sides of the safe rather than anchoring it in the concrete floor. I guess, though, if a BG had the time and was really determined, it would be much easier to get to the bolts through a wall than through a concrete floor.

Safes sold here all come pre-drilled with 4 holes as stipulated per regulations - 2 in the back, 2 in the floor. You can always drill more yourself for true bureaucratic overkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D