Gun safe recommendations - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun safe recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Couldn't find the price for the Cascade on the link, JD. Do you remember about how much you paid for it?
I'll have to check when I get home Lon.

When I started shopping, I had a price in mind for the safe, and I was under the impression that I had to pay the 9.3% sales tax also. Turns out, here in Washington at least, gun safes are tax free.

So, I was able to upgrade a couple of components, get the free interior light and de-humidifier, and get it delivered and only went over budget by a few hundred.... LOL

I'll check tonight and get back to you.

JD

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Don't forget the other aspect of most safes. Fire protection. Make sure that whatever safe you choose has decent fire protection. I have been told by safe dealers at gun shows that fire ratings are not as standardized as they appear so a 1 hour rating on one safe might actually mean something different than a 1 hour rating on another safe. I don't know how true that is, I thought a UL rating was supposed to be standardized but maybe there are other raters out there or something.
That is correct Yunus. What some dealers do is subject the safe to a fire of increasing temperature, over a specified period of time.

Start at say 500 degrees, increase every 10 minutes for an hour, maybe 20 degrees, maybe 50, maybe more. Whatever point the stuff starts to go downhill, that setting ( or the previous setting if they are being generous ) is where the safe is "rated" at for an hour in time.

My safe is rated for 60 minutes, and my understanding is that is 1200 degrees start point and subjected to that for a full 60 minutes.

Now, I don't know how quickly a house fire will reach 1200 degrees. I read a couple of studies that said rooms where there was NO FIRE could heat up to as much as 350-400 within 4 minutes of a house officially being set ablaze.

I also read that at ground zero of a wood house fire it could reach as high as 1800 degrees in less than 15 minutes.

My safe is in my garage, on a concrete slab, on an exterior wall and within 20 feet of the hose, so while I don't think it would withstand a full house fire, I also don't think it will be subjected to it any time soon.

JD

Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #13

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'll have to check when I get home Lon.

I'll check tonight and get back to you.

JD
I sure appreciate that, man!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
My safe is in my garage, on a concrete slab, on an exterior wall and within 20 feet of the hose, so while I don't think it would withstand a full house fire, I also don't think it will be subjected to it any time soon.

JD
I would probably be doing the same. Any strong opinions for or against the garage?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can also shop around on used safes. I picked my browning platinum 30 up for 1800 from a guy on craigslist. I also had a lock smith change the combo and key for it. I was under my 2500 spending limit after everything was said and done. I personally think I did good on that investment. On the pro's and cons of a garage kept safe? I have mine in my mud room. Which is a hallway between my garage and house. I didn't put my safe in my garage because I was afraid that any intruder could just hook a chain and drag it out and leave with it. I live out in the middle of nowhere so chances are they would get away with it. But if you live a decently populated area then you could put your safe in the garage. My main water line also shares the wall with my safe so i a fire breaks out i can just kick the wall in and break it. My safe would have water on it until the fire dept. arrives.
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I would probably be doing the same. Any strong opinions for or against the garage?
I have to be honest, it wasn't my first choice. I wanted it in the master bedroom. I mean, that is where I spend 50% of the time I am home, why not?

Well, a flight of stairs, 4 serious turns in a tight space and the fact that the safe weighs A LOT. I talked to a guy at the place I bought the safe and they don't recommend putting them in an upstairs ANYTHING unless you reinforce the flooring.

Now, I know my builder, and I am SURE he didn't do anything fancy with the flooring on the second story unless he HAD TO by code. Having several hundred pounds crash through onto the kitchen didn't sound like a good plan to me.

So, I went with the big safe in the garage, and I have my small econo safe upstairs with me and I keep a loaded pistol, my FN and some ammo up there.

The set up works, and I don't have any problems with the security of the safe because if you can get into the garage, my two German Beasts can get to you.

I was against a garage mounted safe, until I talked to an expert on the matter and did some thinking about my own home set up.

Now, if I was building the house from scratch? Oh Heeeelllllll YES!

I would have a MONSTER walk in safe off the master bedroom that was lined with cool stuff.

JD

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #17

Quote:
I have to be honest, it wasn't my first choice. I wanted it in the master bedroom. I mean, that is where I spend 50% of the time I am home, why not?

Well, a flight of stairs, 4 serious turns in a tight space and the fact that the safe weighs A LOT. I talked to a guy at the place I bought the safe and they don't recommend putting them in an upstairs ANYTHING unless you reinforce the flooring.

Now, I know my builder, and I am SURE he didn't do anything fancy with the flooring on the second story unless he HAD TO by code. Having several hundred pounds crash through onto the kitchen didn't sound like a good plan to me.

So, I went with the big safe in the garage, and I have my small econo safe upstairs with me and I keep a loaded pistol, my FN and some ammo up there.

The set up works, and I don't have any problems with the security of the safe because if you can get into the garage, my two German Beasts can get to you.

I was against a garage mounted safe, until I talked to an expert on the matter and did some thinking about my own home set up.

Now, if I was building the house from scratch? Oh Heeeelllllll YES!

I would have a MONSTER walk in safe off the master bedroom that was lined with cool stuff.

JD
Yeah, I couldn't put my waterbed upstairs for the same reason.

j/k...do they even MAKE waterbeds any more?

I'm thinking I like the garage idea. I doubt the wife would stand for it in the master (although I would LOVE it in the master). As long as I have a dehumidifier, I think the garage would be the optimum....in my situation, I don't think I'll have many BG problems.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #18

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Lon just build an addition on to the house. Get you an old sealand container and have a vault door made for it. Finish out the inside with gun racks and crushed velvet and a leather sitting chair and a black velvet smoking robe. Now that would be the sh!t right there.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #19

I purchased a Liberty safe a couple of years ago for about a grand, I am very pleased with it, but like everyone says, buy a bigger one than you need. I originally had it put in a den, but it takes up quite a bit of space. One day I was cleaning out a closet and found that about 1/2 the closet was not being used and it was hard to get to the back of the closet anyway...Long story short, I had it built into a wall with a false panel. With the house security system and the backup alarm on the safe plus being hidden and almost impossible to move out of a solid wall, I think it is as safe as can be expected.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Lon just build an addition on to the house. Get you an old sealand container and have a vault door made for it. Finish out the inside with gun racks and crushed velvet and a leather sitting chair and a black velvet smoking robe. Now that would be the sh!t right there.
Then I get that bling bling Glock that someone posted several weeks ago and the Kimber 1911 Commemorative and I'll be set.