Gun safe - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8456 Times on 4899 Posts
Likes Given: 11022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
So, tell me, with the electronic locks, if the battery goes dead, or the circuit board blows, is there another way to open the safe?
The circuit board detaches from the safe, just twist it counter-clockwise and it comes off. That's how you change the batteries. You can also change out the keypad as well but there is no way of opening the safe short of drilling it if the internal circuit board gets fried. If there is an EMP you are screwed and have no guns! All of the safes I have seen these days have some cheesy pot metal dial that feels like a $2 Tiajuana wristwatch or the digital version. I asked a guy at a gun show what would happen to the lock mechanism on their fireproof safe in a house fire. He said it would melt down and the safe would have to be drilled. I mean, what the Hell good is that???? OK, your guns might have survived the fire, but you can't get to them?

My safes are all old brass tumbler locks. I wouldn't buy one of these newer safes.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The circuit board detaches from the safe, just twist it counter-clockwise and it comes off. That's how you change the batteries. You can also change out the keypad as well but there is no way of opening the safe short of drilling it if the internal circuit board gets fried. If there is an EMP you are screwed and have no guns! All of the safes I have seen these days have some cheesy pot metal dial that feels like a $2 Tiajuana wristwatch or the digital version. I asked a guy at a gun show what would happen to the lock mechanism on their fireproof safe in a house fire. He said it would melt down and the safe would have to be drilled. I mean, what the Hell good is that???? OK, your guns might have survived the fire, but you can't get to them?

My safes are all old brass tumbler locks. I wouldn't buy one of these newer safes.
Most modern safes with fire protection are good for one fire. These safes use a melting gasket to seal the safe during the fire and this protects the contents. Once the gasket melts, the safe need to be replaced. Same goes for the digital locking mechanisms.

Yeah, I bet getting a burnt safe open will require finesse with a big drill.