Gun Restoration suggestions?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Restoration suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Gun Restoration suggestions?

A friend of mine inherited his dads SW blued 38spl but it was carelessly stored for over 10 yrs after his dad passed away, he received it recently and it is pitted and has a fair amount of rust everywhere.

We cleaned the gun and oiled really good and the gun now is in working order, but it looks like a rust bucket to say the least.

I told my friend that since the gun has no sale value as is, but has a great sentimental value to him, he should try to restore it the best possible way, he agreed and say that money is no object to restore his dads piece.

I told him that I would ask the gun gurus here at FTF to make suggestions as what is the different options available.

The gun is a blued SW 38spl short bbl if you need pics I can ask for them, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mandy

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Has your friend thought of contacting S&W directly? If money were no object, factory restore is always better than a non-experienced restore.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)