Gun to protect - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun to protect

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm going to have to disagree with the snake load as a personal defense round. Have you ever patterned that load at 7 yards? If you want to use shot, get a handgun that fires the .410.

On to the original question.

Yes, it is your right to defend yourself. It is a natural right that all living creatures share. You have the right to find work that will allow you to carry, and your boss has the privilege of firing you, as he is the boss.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR .45 View Post
Yes, it is your right to defend yourself. It is a natural right that all living creatures share. You have the right to find work that will allow you to carry, and your boss has the privilege of firing you, as he is the boss.
And the cops at the scene have the authority to throw your butt in jail if you're carrying without a permit. Know the laws where you're going and make sure you're complying with them. At least know the laws where you're going....

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #13

I strongly disagree with the recommendation of a .357 shot load. You want to END the attack not PROLONG it. It's just assinine to think that a few grains of Bird shot will stop a determined assault on a person! You don't know what the perp is on and is wearing under his clothes!

Most of the previous posts are all good recommendations, but this one on a snake load is waaaaaay off base! It's likely to get you hurt or dead.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gun To Protect?

Hello JOHN and others!

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I'm a bit of a different opinion than some of the other posters? I'm not sure of your weapons handling experience, so I'd say the 357 Revolver and Auto argument, has a lot to do with that? If your well versered in gun handling andf an AUTO, I'd say Carry that, the Caliber is also what your comfortable with? If your not so well versed and are just starting out, or not comfortable with an Auto, I'd say a good Revolver in the 3-4 " range is a better pick than a SNUB and if in a quality holster, hides as well? It's all a matter of YOU man? Really, it's that simple!@ Go with what you feel comfortable with, have experience shooting and OH yes, Got to follow the laws, Unless they get you killed?

I'm one of those People that can go from a revolver, back to an auto and carry Mixed revolver and auto together, not all are like that? My wife, with her phisical limitations likes her E. German makarov, but she does carry with a live round in the chamber and hammer down, her double action shooting is OK, but she will thumb the hammer back if she has the time and situation says that prudent!

I'm not a trucker, and I do have a lot of friends that are or were and If I remember, they search your guys rigs a lot? Getting stopped by law enforcement with a consealed pistol or revolver is a lot of Trouble? I'd have to agree with a Previous poster and get the Book on the carry laws in 50 states and abide by them, till it endangers your life, then do what you have to do? The folks that check your Truck for Safety can be a hassle as well? I'd look at the entire deal and decide from that? No one can tell you what to do, but we can advise what we do and what works for us, so don't be a stranger and let us all know how it all worked out?

RON L

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Some of the replies to this post need to be clarified!

I think that a difference between "rights" under the law and under company policy should be considered. I would talk to my boss very carefully about the need of protection in some of the areas that I would have to go to. I've never been a trucker, but my brother and brother in law both drive and go to some pretty seedy parts of urban areas and they both carry .38 revolvers. About 10 years ago, my brother had a threat to him that caused him to pull his gun on a man for his own protection. Might have saved his life. The guy saw the business end of his pistol and took off!

In talking to the "boss" (and he is THE boss) I would assure him on the need for the gun and it might be a good idea to take a firearm course to show him that you have and that you are responsible with a gun.

If it were against company policy, I would have to weigh whether it were worth my job to go against the policy and hide the weapon. There is a strong possibility of it getting out!!

MarMac

Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #16

I agree, forget the birdshot loads, use Corbon or other frangible load for self defense or a good hollow point, and ALWAYS use factory loads - NOT HANDLOADS for your defense gun! Should you have to use it, ill informed/crooked lawyers and/or DA's will attack you for using a hand load. ("A factory round was not DEADLY enough - s/he used a HAND LOAD!" Best to avoid the legal problems that WILL occur if you use a hand load in a self defense situation.
My suggestion for caliber is "the largest you can handle" Big heavy bullets stop attacks much better than little light ones, provided you hit what is attacking you.
Under NO circumstances use a .25 ACP! If you have to use it, and the bad guy notices that you shot him, he might just beat the crap out of you - or worse. A .22 long rifle has more stopping power than a .25 ACP.
Get the concealed carry permit, it will make life a lot easier when your truck is inspected, or if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, and after the fact if you had to use your gun.

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Last edited by deerhuntguy; 07-08-2007 at 05:41 AM.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #17

There is a simple answer to all of this. As an EX OTR driver with more than 20 years experience. There is Fed. and DOT laws that prohibit the carrying of any firearm loaded or unloaded in the driver/passagener area of any commercial vehicle.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
There is a simple answer to all of this. As an EX OTR driver with more than 20 years experience. There is Fed. and DOT laws that prohibit the carrying of any firearm loaded or unloaded in the driver/passagener area of any commercial vehicle.

..... unless you have a concealed carry permit, right?!?!?!?

Well behaved women rarely make history!

The Gun Lounge

Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #19

Wrong. Federal and federal DOT laws trunp state and local laws.
Since 9-11 things have gotten extremely rough for the OTR driver.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #20

Shegun is right. With a CCW you can have a gun in a truck. I am a Michigan State Police in the Motor Carrier Division and encounter drivers with guns all the time. We don't have issues unless they don't have a CCW!!

Closed Thread