Gun to protect

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun to protect

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun to protect

Hi:

I am looking for an opinion, I am a cross country truck driver and my boss does not like the idea that I want to carry my gun. I know independent drivers carry guns as we don't always travels in the nicest or most populated parts of the country. I think it should be my right to protect myself. What do you think?

John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #2

I guess legally you'd need to find out what the rules are for carrying a weapon in your vehicle in the areas you travel through.
As far as protection goes, everyone should have that right. Maybe you can carry something else while you think about the gun?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #3

.357 stub nose would be my first suggestion. Loaded with some bird shots you don't even need to be a good aim if you need a self defense gun and don't need to worry about the load going through the perp.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

.357 snub nose would be fine, but I would recommend some good personal defense hollow points, such as Cor-Bon. Regarding accuracy, a self-defense situation is likely going to occur at 10-30 feet. Don't worry about long range, if that's the case you have time to run / jump into your truck and take off.

God, grant me the courage to do what I know is right, even when I think it is hopeless.

www.michiganmilitia.com

Old 04-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #5

Default Traveling with a firearm

There is a very good book on the subject of traveling with a firearm. It's called,"Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States", it's usually advertised in the back of the NRA magazines and most other firearms related periodicals. It is a must if you are going to carry a firearm across state lines and want to stay out of trouble.

If your state has a concealed carry permit law I strongly urge you to attend the class and get the permit. Most states have reciprocity agreements which honor other states permits. This would allow you to carry concealed in several states without worry. The class also teaches a lot of good information about the legalities of deadly force and some good carry techniques. It might also set aside some of the concerns the boss has as well.

As far as the best firearm to carry? The one you feel comfortable with is always the best one to carry. Stick with a 9mm or larger and practice as much as possible.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thread moved to general.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMO I think the best would be a 1911 and a Benelli Nova 12 guage

Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 AM   #8

Default 9mm

I think you should carry a 9mm with you. Get a permit and carry it everywhere you can.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
I think it should be my right to protect myself.
You already have the right to protect yourself; the Framers of the constitution understood that and the Constitution says that right may not be infringed.

Now, back to reality. If you want to carry a pistol, go to www.packing.org or a similar site and check reciprocity maps. Utah, for example, has pistol permit reciprocity with 14 states and 16 other states honor the permit. That covers 31 states out of 50 and you don't have to be a Utah resident to get a Utah pistol permit. (See http://www.bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html for more info.)

New York, on the other hand, has reciprocity with no other state, so you would need to be a resident of the state and get a permit to legally carry there.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwillis View Post
.357 stub nose would be my first suggestion. Loaded with some bird shots you don't even need to be a good aim if you need a self defense gun and don't need to worry about the load going through the perp.
I second this suggestion. .357 with bird shot has always been my choice for defense.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Closed Thread