Gun Control Group Braces for Court Loss - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Control Group Braces for Court Loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
All quite true .

If the founders had NOT intended for the people to have weapons that were equal to that of the military service they could have specified earlier versions that were inferior to the Flintlocks they had used in the war .

Without going into complete detail of the evolution of firearms suffice it to say the modern Flintlocks were hardly the first in a line of improvements to the design .

The Wheel Lock is one such example , and while I am no expert on the design going just from memory it worked with a spring loaded wheel rather than a hammer to strike the flint which in turn ignited the powder . As the wheel spun it threw sparks to contact the powder rather than one blow from a hammer that accomplished the same thing but more efficiently .

Prior to the Wheel Lock somewhere there was a example in which you actually took a candle or burning stick and had to touch a hole in the barrel to ignite the powder .

I do believe there are others in there I just can't recall , I'm sure if one took the time the information is available .
It bears mentioning that everyday people could and did own canon, deck guns, muskets, pistols, grenades and bombs. There was no arbitrary limit to muskets and pistols.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, you refer to the "Matchlock", whereby a smoldering piece of string dangled alongside the lock and was manually placed on the powder to ignite , similar to the flintlock only with no mechanical means to ignite the powder in the pan.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"