Gun cache stolen from dealer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun cache stolen from dealer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun cache stolen from dealer

Posted on Tue, Dec. 23, 2008

Gun cache stolen from dealer

By Nancy Petersen

Inquirer Staff Writer
Federal authorities are expected to spend today combing through the inventory of a Western Pennsylvania gun dealer to determine exactly what was stolen from his truck while it was parked outside a restaurant in King of Prussia.

According to Upper Merion Township police, at least 24 firearms, including machine guns and sniper rifles, valued at more than $200,000, were stolen from a Ford F-350 pickup around 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

The weapons belonged to a dealer, Arms & Ordnance, in Warrendale, a suburb of Pittsburgh, said John Hageman, spokesman for the Philadelphia division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. He said the ATF was working with Upper Merion police on the case.

"It is a federal crime to steal guns from a licensed gun dealer," Hageman said. In this case, the dealer had a Class 3 license, which allowed him to buy and sell the type of weapons stolen, he said.

State records show that Arms & Ordnance is a fictitious name registered to F. Charles Logan. No one answered the phone at his store yesterday.

Hageman said laws covering machine guns varied from state to state and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. For a dealer to obtain a Class 3 license, the municipality in which he or she lives also has to approve, he said.

Because machine guns are illegal in New Jersey, no one can get a Class 3 license to sell them to New Jerseyans, Hageman said.

Upper Merion police said the owner of the weapons had left a gun show at the Valley Forge Convention Center and had stopped at Kildare's Irish Pub on DeKalb Pike to have dinner before returning to Pittsburgh.

In addition to the guns, Hageman said that almost $5,000 in cash was stolen from the truck. He said that once the inventory check was complete, an alert would be issued.

"These guns are now crime guns," he said. "ATF investigators are working with Upper Merion police to get those guns off the street and back into custody. These are very dangerous weapons."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20081223_Gun_cache_stolen_from_dealer.html

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

First why are you riding around with $200,000 woth of Class III firearms in your truck?

Second why would you leave $200,000 worth of Class III Firearms in your truck?

Third why would you let your $60,000 truck with $200,000 worth of firearms out of your sight for more than .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000001 seconds?

Fourth and Final You can really be this dam dumb and still get a permit to buy and sell class III firearms?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

License should be taken away. That is the stupidest **** I've ever heard of. Guy should do the proper thing and go through secure channels with that bull crap.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

if you read the post it said he was out of state and bought the guns at a gun show in new jersey and returning to philly. that means he was traveling, got hungry, stopped to eat and then got robbed. its called reading people we all know how to do it, so lets do it

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At least here in germany, I don`t know about the US, you could reach that amount in Euro very easily. Just look at the links below.....: o.k. not exactly the same type of weapon...but just to answer the question on why he transporting guns worth $ 200.000,-

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/Bockdoppelb%C3%BCchse_26_Grand_Royal/_/bid/231721/cpage/0/tf/landscape/productdetail.html

two of these:
I like this one the most..;-)

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/Heym_Doppelb%C3%BCchse/_/bid/231737/cpage/0/tf/landscape/productdetail.html

approx eight of these:

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/Doppelb%C3%BCchse_160A/_/bid/231739/cpage/0/tf/landscape/productdetail.html

Ken

Last edited by kdog; 12-25-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
if you read the post it said he was out of state and bought the guns at a gun show in new jersey and returning to philly. that means he was traveling, got hungry, stopped to eat and then got robbed. its called reading people we all know how to do it, so lets do it
wish we had a gut busting icon. The grouchy man speaketh, but he speaketh the truth. Shoudn't blame the victim here. Guy made a mistake, yes. But he was just out there trying to make a living / support the hobby. My 2c's.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have to disagree there sgt - if you are going to pay $200K for Class III weapons, and carry an additional $5K in cash - you don't just leave that type of stuff in your Ford F-350, get hungry, and wander into a highway choke and puke for the chicken fried steak special.

That guy should have been more responsible. Bottom line. Class III weapons are restricted for a reason. Not everyone is supposed to have them under the current laws of this land. I don't agree with it, but those are the laws - and if you have access to something not everyone is supposed to have, you are now a TARGET.

He should have had a gun vault installed in his truck, one that would house all the weapons and the cash, be covered to look like nothing out of the ordinary, was secured to the vehicle in such a way as to not be easily removed AND THEN hit a friggin drive thru.

JD

Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #8

hmmm...have to say I agree with Dillinger on this one. I would probably handcuff myself to the truck if I was hauling a load like that. Also, given he was a dealer, and could be expected to regularly attend shows and what not, I am surprised he did not have a special outfit on his truck.

It makes you wonder what the bad guys saw that gave them the idea to rob the truck? Walking into a parking lot--would I be able to tell which trucks had valuable cargo?? I'm not sure. I suppose it could have been random, but it just seems odd.

Its too bad though, as we know where these guns will likely end up, and it might cause a backlash when the anti legislators get wind of it

rats.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Ever heard of a stinking drive threw? McDonalds, Burgr King, Taco Bell, Checkers, Arby's, Sonic, Jack in the box, and many many other quick dining facilities offer them. Then you don't have to leave your car full of class III firearms sitting unattended in a unknown parking lot.

Will he file an Insurance claim? But the worst part is this stupid moron just put $200k of NFA weapons on the street. He lost $200,000 in the process but I think he should be thrown in jail and never be allowed to hold a FFL ever again.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This guy was probably followed from the gun show. C'mon, you're at a gun show and you see a guy drop 200k on a butt load of class 3 weapons. If you're a dirt bag there to check out some cheap accessories and you witness this, you've hit a hell of a payday.
Butt like J.D. said, this guy should have hit a drive thru.
How irresponsible.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp