Gun Cabinets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Cabinets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Gun Cabinets

My buddy has a glass fronted gun cabinet that holds around six long guns horizontally. It's also got a base with three or four doors. I'd guess it stands about six feet tall.

I've been looking in thrift shops and used furniture stores, but just can't find one. I've looked online, but many of them are either custom or just plain overpriced.

I don't want a wall rack, I don't want them getting all dusty. That's why I'd like a cabinet. I'd like to be able to look at them without a lot of hassle.

What's the deal? Are they just unpopular or are people just paranoid and only use gun safes anymore?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I never did like the idea of all my guns on display....

Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I understand the need for security, but I want to have the cabinet in my cave. Nobody goes in there unless they're invited.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Long story short..........I had a really nice display case once. Then I had a gun stolen. The display case got sold and now I keep just a couple of things and a bunch of ammo behind a fake wall. Nothing out in the open, not even a speedloader. Basicly I don't have a lot except SHTF stuff and a couple of magnums and everything gets worn and used. Sold all the closet queens.

That's just me.

OC

"magbum"

Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've been thinking about the same thing CA. At the property my GF's parents have just bought is an 8x8 metre secure shed that is about to be turned into the gun/reloading room and home-butchery, and a display cabinet would look a lot nicer than a safe IMO.

Believe it or not, we can use a display cabinet for firearm storage down here, so long as it meets the following requirements...

• Permanantly fixed to the walls and floor if cabinet weighs less than 150 kgs
  • Minimum of 3mm thick steel plate or 6mm hardwood sides
  • Minimum of 6.8mm thick laminated glass front
  • Separate, lockable ammo recepticle
  • Internal hinges, locks etc.
  • 3 or more locking points

Only problem is, no one down here makes a cabinet that meets these specs!

Could make for a good summer project through

Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #6

Liked 378 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My buddy has a glass fronted gun cabinet that holds around six long guns horizontally. It's also got a base with three or four doors. I'd guess it stands about six feet tall.

I've been looking in thrift shops and used furniture stores, but just can't find one. I've looked online, but many of them are either custom or just plain overpriced.

I don't want a wall rack, I don't want them getting all dusty. That's why I'd like a cabinet. I'd like to be able to look at them without a lot of hassle.

What's the deal? Are they just unpopular or are people just paranoid and only use gun safes anymore?

Hey, have you checked Bass Pro and Cabelas?! I got mine last christmas for $99 from bass pro, and I love it. It is by no means anything spectacular, but it has a lock. I also keep it in a area of the house only traveled by moi. I'll post a picture here shortly

AuLach- Could you buy one that meets all but one of the requirement, and adjust it to meet standard? For example, IF it only has one lock, you can incorporate 2 more "locking points". Just a thought.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Last edited by TheSadPanda; 06-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #7

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Ammo & Hunting Gear, Camping & Outdoor Equipment, Military Surplus & Clothing at Sportsman's Guide iv seen some cabinets and wall racks here recently fairly decent prices also.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I understand the need for security, but I want to have the cabinet in my cave. Nobody goes in there unless they're invited.
I'm putting a new safe in my new gun room this week, and a 10-gun, glass-front cabinet will be displaced. Two shelves inside, and two locking doors for storage underneath. Not an heirloom, but sturdy. Has a few dings, but no gouges, or missing chunks. If you want to ship it from Indiana out there, you can have it.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #9

Liked 378 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I apologize for the crappy pics, they were taken with my cell phone. Our camera is currently being used by my step-dad at MDA camp.

This first pic kind of shows the gun case. You can see it's really basic and if you look at the background you can see that it's underneath our stairs in the basement. It's also not very wide (which is why It's so hard to get a good pic), so it's not a place that would be sought out by criminals.
imag0174.jpg

This just shows the separate bottom compartment it has for ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.
imag0175.jpg

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the feedback Gents.

Jay, do you have to get it gone right away?