Gun buying online
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Gun buying online

Anyone ever bought a gun online through sites like gunbroker.com!! Like to hear experiences and suggestions. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

You betcha! I have used GB twice, was very satisfied both times. Just read the seller reviews, ratings and number of transactions completed.

Shop, browse, shop, research prices, before you buy. Pick a maximum you are willing to pay, if you don't win the bid, don't worry about it. Just keep shopping.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I bought a gun off gunauction.com about a week ago. I already have the gun (though, the place I bought it from was only 140 miles away. That's probably why I got it so fast)

Its simple. you can set a bid limit so you don't have to sit there and constantly watch the auction, or you can actively watch the auction. On many of the auctions there is a 10 minute rule though. This means that if anyone bids in the last 10 minutes of the auction, 10 more minutes is added to the time. I haven't had to deal with this yet though. The gun I bought wasn't in high demand, so less people were looking at it.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn
You betcha! I have used GB twice, was very satisfied both times. Just read the seller reviews, ratings and number of transactions completed.

Shop, browse, shop, research prices, before you buy. Pick a maximum you are willing to pay, if you don't win the bid, don't worry about it. Just keep shopping.
My experience as well. A couple of purchases and a few dozen bids. GB is a good reference as well.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

As with any other on-line auction site. Buyer beware!

But almost all dealings with those who transfer through me have had good results.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8834 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Yes, GunAuction and Gunbroker- more than 30.

Here are the keys. First look at the feedback score for the seller. If the seller has a hundred or more happy customers, why do you think YOU would not be happy? Lousy feedback? Walk away.

READ the auction. Including terms, like SHIPPING COSTS. "Buyer pays actual shipping". Yeah, Right See you later, don't call me, I'll call you.

LOOK at the pictures. One lousy out of focus dark pic? Thanx. Sportmans supply (Grant, up in Butler PA) on GunAuction and Locustfork (Lady gun dealer down South) on Gunbroker have both been doing this a long time, take great pictures.

ASK questions- ONLY if they are not answered in the auction posting. If they say they do not sell to your state, pass. Be polite.

I have had ONE bad experience- buying ammo some years ago. Major delay in shipping, had a come to jesus discussion with seller, got my ammo (couple of cases of 8mm Mauser)

On gunauction, there is a 3 day no firing right of return for any reason (on guns only) YOU will pay return shipping.

When setting how much you are willing to bid, do not forget to include cost of shipping AND fee that YOUR FFL will charge you to receive the gun.

Both sites can be a lot of fun for a C&R FFL holder- makes it very easy to shop for C&R firearms- where finding them at a local gun shop is hit and miss.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
READ the auction. Including terms, like SHIPPING COSTS. "Buyer pays actual shipping". Yeah, Right See you later, don't call me, I'll call you.
Unless it is "included" I prefer paying actual shipping usually for big items. Sellers let you know how much it is in advance, that you can check, which is usually better then them guessing and charging the highest fee IMO.

Last thing I bought (not a modern arm on an auction) I sent the seller a filled-out FedEx Ground shipping label with my own account number on it -- "buyer" really pays actual shipping cost and, in my case, a discounted one to boot.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Contemplated it but item was gone next day. However, did buy online from GunsAmerica.com.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8834 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

What Hock is describing is REAL actual shipping. The pitfall is the seller who, rather than telling you $25, $35, etc, says he will charge "actual shipping costs". Which he may mean will include cost of box, driving it to the PO or UPS hub, etc etc etc. If I know what the cost is, I can take that into consideration when bidding.

Saw one high dollar gun that the seller wanted $390 in shipping. Wondered if he was getting the gun its own seat on the airplane.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
What Hock is describing is REAL actual shipping. The pitfall is the seller who, rather than telling you $25, $35, etc, says he will charge "actual shipping costs". Which he may mean will include cost of box, driving it to the PO or UPS hub, etc etc etc. If I know what the cost is, I can take that into consideration when bidding.

Saw one high dollar gun that the seller wanted $390 in shipping. Wondered if he was getting the gun its own seat on the airplane.
I actually saw that happen one time. Back in the mid 80s I worked for a machine tool supplier. I forget the details of why now, clearly it was an emergency but the manufacturer in Detroit took the small box of tooling to the airport, bought a ticket, put the box on the plane, and one of our guys met the plane and took the tooling to the customer in NE Ohio. From order to delivery in about 3 hours. Damned expensive though.