Gun Art anyone?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Art anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Art anyone?

Just wanted to share this with my fellow firearm enthusiasts. I made this thing as a final project for my Art101 class. The teacher, recently from New York, made me promise him that it was unloaded and safe to be kept in school.

It's constructed of casings (.45 ACP, .22, one 7.62X54R, and maybe a couple of .22 shorts and .17 HMRs), and a pachmyr grip held together with glue. It is displayed on a piece of two by four that was treated by being doused with lighter fluid and set on fire in my garage. The Ruger New Model Blackhawk was not included in the display but acted as my model during fabrication.
This rare, exquisite, "Untitled" sculpture will be on display for private viewing at my house in the man cave in about a week or so.

gun-art.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8313 Times on 4805 Posts
Likes Given: 10774

Very nice!

OK. I have not to date posted any pics. But this one I am quite proud of. This is my very first attempt at carving anything complicated. This is all done by hand with knives and chiesels, no Dremel tools or anything (except for the lettering, and I am going to do that by hand someday as well). The wood is a local hardwood that is known for checking and cracking, but I had a stable piece that had seasoned for several years before I touched it. The grips on the revolver are also of the same wood (Madrone) that I made just after doing the carving.

Hope you like it.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #3

Aw man! The pic didn't come through!

Hardwood carving of Ruger Blackhawk

Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Guys, both of those are awesome!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Beautiful works of art guys! Permission to use one as my computer's background?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That probably would have gotten you kicked out of the university I attended. Funny how open minded liberals work....

Nice work!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Beautiful works of art guys! Permission to use one as my computer's background?
Permission granted.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #8

Nice woodworking Vikingdad. The only thing I've ever been able to whittle was a keychain sized surfboard, without the fin.

My art teacher got a culture shock here in Wisconsin, Someone had to explain to him that deer hunting season had started when half the class showed up in blaze orange and camo. He makes some ink blown things that are pretty cool. I'd like to figure out how he does it so that I can make one in the outline of a 1911.

http://shanemcadams.com/work/gallery/1014

inkblown1.jpg  

Last edited by JPGunworks; 01-13-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Picture didn't link the first time

Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGunworks View Post
Nice woodworking Vikingdad. The only thing I've ever been able to whittle was a keychain sized surfboard, without the fin.

My art teacher got a culture shock here in Wisconsin, Someone had to explain to him that deer hunting season had started when half the class showed up in blaze orange and camo. He makes some ink blown things that are pretty cool. I'd like to figure out how he does it so that I can make one in the outline of a 1911.

Shane McAdams - Works - Ball Point Pen Paintings
Thanks, I had time on my hands and the wood just spoke to me.

Looks like he's got some technique but I don't see much art in it. Does he show you how he does it? Some of the greatest artists can demonstrate exactly how they do something but you can't quite do it yourself. I remember an interview with a rock and roll artist, as I remember it was Sammy Hagar (I'll use his name for convenience). Anyhow Sammy was to meet Alex Van Halen in Sammy's studio. Sammy was thrilled and wanted to know what tricks Van Halen used to tweak his guitar so it made that distinctive sound that Van Halen was known for.

Van Halen walks into the studio, after a few minutes of introduction he asks if he can pick up Sammy's axe and play it, Sammy says yes and Van Halen proceeds to rip some of his signature riffs without but tuning the guitar. No tricks, no gimmicks. Just musical talent.

I am not a Van Halen fan, but I can generally recognize his playing.

I hope someday to be able to indulge myself in doing some art. I have a bunch of ideas but no way to make them.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #10

Just watched "Impossible Shots" on the Outdoor channel. Patrick Flannigan is a gun artist. So are all of the other regulars. regular artists.