Growing Up With Out Cell Phones - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Growing Up With Out Cell Phones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
{sniffles} It was a wonderful era.

Anybody else remember the kick-n-go scooters? What about those Subaru Asian-style ElCaminomobiles with the seats mounted in the bed? Having to go to a theater to see a movie, or waiting six months for it to come out on Beta?
Subaru Brat! Ha! Forgot all about them til I saw one the other day.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I remember coming home from school in the early 80's, changing clothes and calling my friend.

Then, slinging .22's over our shoulders and walking up into the hills (about 1 mile to the canyon) to hunt squirrels, rabbits and yotes.

This was in the San Fernando Valley area of LA. Man, a lot has changed! Try that today and end up on the news.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I remember the atari 2600 and the commodore 16 and 64. We wore those things out on friday and saturday nights when we werent running up and down North Ave. (our drive your car and try to meet girls road). Man I am only 38 and I remember buying my first military mauser out of a steel drum at what used to be the only sporting goods store in town. They didn't care as long as your dad was there with you.(To help you pick out a good one). Snow ball fights with the local police was the only fighting we did with them.. Till this day I think they were the best bunch of guys that I respected and still respect. Dont get me wrong if ya messed up you were in deep doo!! But they all played with and took care of us stupid kids. Most of us were from out in the sticks and carried our guns to school with us in our trucks, we never thought about using them on anything but beer bottles and game. Kinda makes me wonder if all the cool technology that we have has changed us that much in such a short time.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Does anybody else here remember having a Merlin game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_(game)
I loved that freakin thing, but i'm pretty sure my celphone could outsmart a room full of them.
Yep I sure do (now that I saw it on Wiki), I never had one but some of my friends did, if you had one you came from a rich family, I had the "Simon" game until someone stole it or my old man threw it out because of the error noise he hated.
I live in the house I was raised in now and I still have the old rotory phone, it can take a lighting strike and still work and you could beat an intruder to death with it, not like the cheap ass stuff nowadays.
My friends and I all carried knives and BB/Pellet guns on our bikes and shot frogs and other various animals in the woods, we had forts, tree forts, and some underground. No bike helmets to save the poor minded and we played with Lawn Darts (Jarts) and no body died. If I got injured I hid the injury from my old man because if you showed it to him, he would explain how stupid you were and that you should have known better. He was not shy about whooping your ass in front of God and everyone. We played Baseball in the summer in an empty field, not like these super mega sports fields that you see today, there was broken concrete, glass, rusted metal, old bed springs, pot holes, etc, etc. Safety was between your ears and if you didn't think right, you got punished. I got my first job when I was nine years old delevering papers and Momma didn't drive me in her car to do it. At ten I got a job at the local Party Store (In Detroit area a Party Store is a Convience Store, for those of you not from this area). At twelve I got the dream job of working at a Skeet & Trap Range. In the winter I shoveled neighbors drive ways ,summer mowed lawns, and raked leaves in the fall, all for money. I wasn't given money like the kids today, I was expected to work for it.
Things have changed alot, I don't know if it's for the better but it is the way it is, of course compared to my father my life was real cozy! At sixteen years of age he ran away and joined the Navy and fought in WWII, if that happened today there would be a congressional hearing.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Does anybody else here remember having a Merlin game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_(game)
I loved that freakin thing, but i'm pretty sure my celphone could outsmart a room full of them.
I don't think Merlin was ever released in Sweden. But I sure do remember the good old Atari 2600.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Subaru Brat! Ha! Forgot all about them til I saw one the other day.
IIRC, they had an anti-rollback feature to make hill stops easier on the clutch. I saw one for sale last year and was tempted. I also remember some Saturday morning cartoon that featured one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
I don't think Merlin was ever released in Sweden. But I sure do remember the good old Atari 2600.
Ah the 2600, mine is in mom's attic. Great toy; i remember switching the wires on one of the controllers to make it better for a left-handed buddy.

I loved the paper route; i had two & used the proceeds to buy my second bike for myself.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The 2600 was great, but when Super Mario Brothers came out it was on! Even though Ma only allowed me and my brother 30 min a day each we eventually conquered it.

Most of the time we'd set out trot lines every summer morning in this little neighborhood creek in Abilene, when it got too hot to be outside we'd use up our TV/video game time and grab a bite to eat. By the time it cooled back off we would have a bluegill or a perch or something on the line, let it go and take the .22s to a dump pile and shoot trash 'till sundown. A few days a week Pops would take us out on Goober and Cherokee (our horses) and teach us how to throw lasso.

In New Mexico there was more hills, cliffs and open desert, so we could pretty much shoot, ride or repel almost right out of our backyard. We'd have 6-10 boys with in a 5 year age range all armed with .22s of different sorts canvasing Choke Cherry canyon. (never even shot an eye out ) We knew (and still do) just about every square inch within 7 miles of home. Now they hand out $500 fines for shooting.

I remember it like it was yesterday. . . and I'm glad there we no computers or cell phones. I did get a beeper in High School though.