Growing Up With Out Cell Phones - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Growing Up With Out Cell Phones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I remember our first VCR. It was a single head VCR the size of a small microwave. I remember when those came out too!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Bought our first VCR in 1979. It was a gigantic Panasonic about the size of a large suitcase and it weighed like 40 pounds. If memory serves, it cost about a grand in the PX...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Bought our first VCR in 1979. It was a gigantic Panasonic about the size of a large suitcase and it weighed like 40 pounds. If memory serves, it cost about a grand in the PX...
You loaded the tape from the top too, right?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You loaded the tape from the top too, right?
Yup, you pressed a big button (like the old tape recorders) and the tray popped out the top. Still have it in the garage somewhere...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #15

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was 22 in 1972 so this reminds me of things:

30 Years Difference

1972: Long hair
2002: Longing for hair

1972: KEG
2002: EKG

1972: Acid rock
2002: Acid reflux

1972: Moving to California because it's cool
2002: Moving to California because it's warm

1972: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2002: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1972: Seeds and stems
2002: Roughage

1972: Hoping for a BMW
2002: Hoping for a BM

1972: The Grateful Dead
2002: Dr. Kevorkian

1972: Going to a new, hip joint
2002: Receiving a new hip joint

1972: Rolling Stones
2002: Kidney Stones

1972: Screw the system
2002: Upgrade the system

1972: Disco
2002: Costco

1972: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2002: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1972: Passing the drivers' test
2002: Passing the vision test

1972: Whatever
2002: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list (from 2002...afg):

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.
They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up. (Challenger, 1986...afg)
Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
The CD was introduced the year they were born.
They have always had an answering machine.
They have always had cable.
They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane Boss, de plane".
They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.
McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hate cell phones. Every time I am with my freinds they are texting. -_-
last month I sent out two texts. Both were used when the person recieving it was at work and he needed to know the information asap.
I find it annoying that people text when you hang out with them. It's like they are ignoring you.

Sadly... one of the older gentlemen that I talk too died this weekend. He was 92. Anyways, his stories on his childhood makes everything here look silly.
The thing is, everything is slowly getting easier and more luxurios. God help us if it gets more luxurious that it is now!

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #17

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Heck, I didn't see my first pocket calculator until I'd been in the Air Force nearly 2 years. Anyone remember the first digital watches? I remember the first one I saw, a Pulsar I think, it was over $300 and it had red fluorescent numbers that only displayed when you pushed the button...
Had a Texas Insturments calculator in 1972 when they first come out. It cost near $400.00. Had a slide rule as well. In 1974 this calculator was broken when I was in college and the same model I relplaced it with was about $60.00. Now I see they can be had for $5.00 or less.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #18

Spent the first four years of my life in a house with a black and white TV with turn dials. We got a color TV when I was 5 (1980). All we had was two channels up until 1992 when we finally got a third channel.

I once decided to run away from home when I was six because I felt mom and dad were mean. My dad helped me pack lunch and a blanket and waved me off at the door. I spent most of the day sitting in a field, eating my sandwiches. Then I went back home. My dad said "Hello, how was your trip?" and that was that.

My playground had an eight meter (roughly 26 feet) tall climbing setup that was built from telephone poles and various configurations of chain covered in the orange plastic. Ropes, nets, you name it.

We once rode pedal cars downhill and I wiped out and ended up in the ER with a bad concussion. When I got back home, we did it again and our parents weren't overly worried.

Doctors would ask my mother if she beat me. She would say: "No, but there isn't a tree in a 10 mile radius that he hasn't climbed and fallen out of."

We built a camp down by the river bed. Once we realized a marauding band of rival boys had been through our turf we built a palisade with sharpened ends and we started guarding it after school. It ended in a battle with bows, slingshots, and spears. Nobody got seriously hurt, we knew better than that. They never tried to mess with our stuff again.

Once me and a friend went missing for a week during summer without much notice. Nobody was overly worried. We had gathered our survival kits, knives, pots and pans, a tent and some other camping gear, "borrowed" a canoe and headed downriver where we found a small island upon which we set camp. Hunted squirrels and used water purifiers to clean the water. We switched to boiling the water since the water purifying tablets made the water taste nasty. When we came back our mothers asked semi-curious where we had been. We said we'd been paddling the river. They shook their heads and went back to cooking dinner.

I had to tape all my favorite songs from the radio.

My dad took me out in the woods when I was 8 and let me fire his AK4 (G3A3) out over the peat bog. He had it set to three round burst and was standing there waiting until I squeezed the trigger believing I would be shooting a single round. I fell on my ass after the third round went almost straight up in the air. My dad laughed until he wheezed, slapping his knees. I put the safety on and stood up, handing the assault rifle back to him.

We didn't have 20 speed bikes. They were one speed, and hard as hell to get up over a steep hill because of this.

I got a portable game (Game & Watch) called Egg some time around 1981. The next year I got the game Oil Panic, which was a dual screen. They were both using fixed position LCD light-ups to display the various modes in the games. These days I play 3D first person shooters on my PSP.

My favorite childhood TV show was a sock puppet.

I can go on and on...

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Does anybody else here remember having a Merlin game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_(game)
I loved that freakin thing, but i'm pretty sure my celphone could outsmart a room full of them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #20

I remember not seeing the inside of our house until dinner time.
We rode our bikes everywhere...miles & miles away from home.
Now children can't even leave their yard.

We did daring things like crossing a bridge by walking across the bridge's guard rails, basically a 2" pipe, with the drop being so far that you would probably go into shock before hitting the ground. We would play some mean football games that sometimes we would seriously get hurt. I remember one game I got tackled by a barbed-wire fence...tore me up had to get stitches.
When I got home my dad was furious that he had to take me to the hospital for stitches. Wasn't no pampering from him just because blood was everywhere and I was tore open. Halloween we would go trick or treating on our bikes miles from home and come back with bags & bags of candy. We would drop off bags of candy and go back out. We would jump off bridges into rivers and go swimming. We would dare each other to challenge ornery bulls at the neighboring farms & ranches. When we were in high school we would go to a place we called the "highway to nowhere" and drag race our cars & trucks. We would have bonfires, party in the woods, go to the beaches then at night have a small fire and party on the beach. We made up our own fun!!

From the over 40 gang living in the backwoods...