Greatest war movies of all time, list em'! - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Greatest war movies of all time, list em'!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
I see "Patton" made several list (personally, mine too.. I LOVE that opening speech..).. But what about George C Scott's other war film...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP6KbIsNK4
"He'll see EVERYTHING!!... He'll see the BIG BOARD!!"
Watched it again a week ago...
Peter Sellers plays three roles and I've been conserving my precious bodily fluids ever since I first saw it.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6530 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Watched it again a week ago...
Peter Sellers plays three roles and I've been conserving my precious bodily fluids ever since I first saw it.

Dr, Strangelove was great.

I liked Lawrence of Arabia, too.

Anybody remember the old TV series: "The Grey Ghost?"
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #63

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Default While we're at it....

How about the 1939 John Ford classic "Drums Along the Mohawk" with Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert, Ward Bond, Edna May Oliver and John Carradine ;

The trailer was in B&W... but the film itself was all color (a rarity for a 30's movie)... IMHO, this film is an often overlooked gem and deserves a large budget remake along the scale of "Last of the Mohicans".... But knowing Hollywood, they would probably cast Stallone in the lead... On second thought, let's leave this one alone unless the Coen brothers can do it.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #64

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 25

All is quiet on the western front is a good one, but the OP is looking for WW2 movies in general.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #65

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Re : " All Quiet ..." I can see from the clip that the original B&W movie is better ...

Old 05-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #66

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Re : " All Quiet ..." I can see from the clip that the original B&W movie is better ...
It was mein kampf to have to choose which version to post on here, and I ended up picking with the more modern version only because of its color, and how many people don't really get into the old films as much as we should.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #67

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planejain View Post
It was mein kampf to have to choose which version to post on here, and I ended up picking with the more modern version only because of its color, and how many people don't really get into the old films as much as we should.
Understood. My quarrel with the remake is that the dialogue doesn't seem believable ; too perfect, too Hollywood . That and the way they had to hit you over the head to make you understand the point ; pure Hollywood again .

Civil War Movies :

I hope they don't remake " Gone With the Wind ", probably the best Civil War movie of all time .
" Gettysburg " was historically accurate but Martin Sheen was horrible as Robert E. Lee .
" Glory " , the story of the black soldiers who attacked Fort Wagner was highly fictionalized . It included a fictional racist white quartermaster guaranteed to reinforce some black viewers' conceptions of rampant white racism . Blending fact and fiction is a dangerous business and is why I didn't include this movie as one I'd recommend .
" Cold Mountain ", starring Nicole Kidman , featured sadistic scenes and anachronistic language . It was a bad movie with a good opening scene, which shows the Petersburg mine explosion and the Union failure to breech the confederate lines . The actors for this scene were Romanian soldiers and it was shot in Romania . In real life, a lot of the Union troops were black .
" The Birth of a Nation " made movie history but also made heroes out of the Klansmen . It is a classic of cinematography but a distorted, racist depiction of the war's end and Reconstruction .
" The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly " was a bad movie with a wildly fanciful civil war battle scene in which Union troops employ Gatling guns to mow down Confederates . Nothing is getting accomplished and the movie's anti-war message shines through .

Last edited by Rentacop; 05-17-2013 at 05:14 AM.