Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Greatest thanksgiving ever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Greatest thanksgiving ever

Sorry guys (and gals)..hadda share.

Back ground: Last Christmas eve, sitting at moms house drinking beer and watching the Detroit Lions beat up on the Chargers for their first trip to the playoffs in 2 decades my mom looks over and says "Wouldnt it be great to be there right now?" I said, "Yeah. What would be better is to be there on Turkey day." Thats was the beginings of a devious plan that took 11 months to come to fruition.

(Been a lifes long lions fan, been to MANY game sin the old Silver dome with my dad when i was younger...just NEVER on Turkey day...we were always in the UP hunting deer)

On July 10th 2012 (14th anniversary of my dads death) mom calls. We do the annual chat about how we miss the old man...the she says "Never guess what did today." I say; ""what did you do today" (thinking "What in the bloody hell did you do THIS time woman.") She says; "I decided we are ALL spending thanksgiving together as a family." I say; "ok" (thinking "Oh good christ, we (all of us) NEVER get together on thanksgiving as a family) She says, "OH, i didnt mention what we were having for our feast." I say, "What are we having for our feast?" She says, "Hot dogs!" I say " HOTDOGS!?!?" She says, Oh i guess i didnt mention WHERE we were having said feast." I say "Where are we eating this scrumptious (with much facetiousness as i HATE tube steak) feast?" She says, "FORD FIELD BABY BOY!! Tickets for turkey day game went on sale today and got ALL of us a ticket." (Some divine intervention here as tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. and were completely sold out for this game in 5 minutes!!)

So I was up @ 0300 and on the road @ OH420 for Detroit Thanksgiving morning. Drove thru pea soup like fog more than half the 200 miles. Get into detroit as the sun is coming up to find my route to the motel blocked by a marathon and then a parade. Found a place to park, paid extravagant coin for said parking, then hoofed it thru dubious (at best) surroundings, thinking to myself (and kicking myself) the whole time "Stupid i KNEW i should have grabbed the 1911 and spare mags instead of this damn PF-9 pea shooter!"

But other than the damn Refs robbing us and giving the texans a TD they didnt deserve it was a GREAT TIME!!

For all the adversity to pull it off and make it happen. It was well worth it!

These two HAPPY campers are the co-conspirators...

Youngest boy...should have gotten a pic of him in his "Megatron" shirt. He wasnt sure about this whole thing. He wasnt, i repeat WASNT a big football fan. Houston errr i mean Detroit we have a convert!

Yep, i was "that" guy...

Ironic that he missed the game winner in OT from this spot?

[In a word....DISAPPOINTING

Youngest getting a relaxing and MUCH anticipated and well deserved swim in at the end of the day.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Great story sir!

I myself have been a life long NINERS fan and still have yet to attend a game. It being the second to the last season at the candlestick, I would really love to catch a game there before they move to Santa Clara.

I have four boys that would love to go as well. And my wife? She'd really love to go too. I'm hoping that we can get tickets for a game next season.

Wish us luck!
And once again, great story. Too bad it didn't end up with a "W" at the end.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 1092 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That is AWESOME for you guys. I didn't get to watch the game. Another way to f**k Detroit!!. I'm glad you had a great time with your mom!.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

That was a good game. What a great tradition Detroit has with that game. I've seen a few. Didn't Detroit use to have their parade televised. Seems like there were always three, Macy's, Gimbels in Philadelphia and Hudson's from Detroit.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Great time...it'll be talked about for years to come

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Sounds like a great day for the family. Thanks for sharing.

NEVER FORGET

Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
That is AWESOME for you guys. I didn't get to watch the game. Another way to f**k Detroit!!. I'm glad you had a great time with your mom!.
YEP! That rule was put into place (every scoring play and turnover reviewed in the booth) BECAUSE Detroit got F**KED in the last game last season against Green Bay.

I dont know what the previous owners did to the league, but i am sick of them holding us down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
That was a good game. What a great tradition Detroit has with that game. I've seen a few. Didn't Detroit use to have their parade televised. Seems like there were always three, Macy's, Gimbels in Philadelphia and Hudson's from Detroit.
Yep, they used to. Downtown was a MADHOUSE! 150K for the marathon, 500K for the parade, 80 some K for the football game and i didnt hear the estimated body count for the State Championship football games taking place Fri. and Sat.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

Liked 1092 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I never knew this about the Lions on why they play on Thanksgiving day.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--why-do-the-detroit-lions-always-play-on-thanksgiving--074510076.html

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I never knew this about the Lions on why they play on Thanksgiving day.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--why-do-the-detroit-lions-always-play-on-thanksgiving--074510076.html
Yep, have known that for a long time (being from MI and being a lifes long DUHtroit Dion fan)

Youngest wasnt enthused about going...until i told him that in going he would become/taking part in a part of history. Told him the history and he thought it would be "kinda cool"...then hew got to experience the atmosphere. (didnt hurt that our team played the best game they have played in a long time and the crowd knew it and responded in kind) Hes hooked.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20827 Times on 11844 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

cool story FMJ, cool! just think of the memories it will bring years from now.