The great Out-Doors..!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The great Out-Doors..!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3185 Times on 1808 Posts
Likes Given: 18433

Default The great Out-Doors..!

Well , I'm gonna keep this low key so we can do with-out the mental analysis of
Dango..!
Ever been out in your back yard at night? Maybe just hot-dogs and marshmallows round the old camp-fire ?
Well , if your are highly aware , your back yard is telling you things all the time!
Sometimes , it's so .. quiet , you can here the trees grow , yes , you can hear the little pieces of tree break away and being replaced by new growth,Kool!
Bugs , they are also talking to you and telling you of what is going on in there world ! The approach of a predator or any thing that might eat them !
Crickets are probably the most common and the one thing we all know of. When your sitting around and crickets are singing and toads are farting , as all is well and safe!
When they go quiet , why ? Something has come into their territory and they just know it ! I can't says I know how they know , but they know well before I ever did.! Hmmmmm>
Next time you get a chance to stand up and just listen , Do , it is soul cleansing..!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Liked 1980 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Love that. Though now I live in town, so quite a bit less of hearing nature.
When I used to backpack, I loved sitting next to a small stream, closing my eyes and listening to the individual sounds little eddys, rills, and such make.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

I live at the edge of town so a fire is out. But in the summer, I love to sit in a lawn chair late at night after the neighborhood has gone to bed, and watch the stars, and listen.

It's even better up in the mountains when everyone else in camp had turned in, and the single malt is keeping me warm almost as well as the campfire.

The whole sky is a blanket of stars, and the quiet is almost palpable.

I once had what I consider a somewhat spiritual experience. I had just added wood to the fire, and it was burning brightly and cheerily. As I stared toward the trees, a very large black bear silently came to the edge of the firelight. He stared at me for a moment, stood on his ind legs and did a good "sniff" analysis.

Satisfied that I was not a danger, he went back to all fours, and just stared at me for a few seconds, then melted back into the forest.

The next morning, I looked over the area where he had been, and there were no tracks in the soft earth!

Winston Churchill
dango Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Do that a lot-
We got owls, crickets, coyotes, & even once in a great while a whippoorwill

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Locutus, sniffing smoke from a pile of Lodge Pole pine and sipping single malt scotch can bring many night visitors. I did that one night up on the Powder River. I saw the entire 7th Cavalry riding north toward the Rose Bud!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

The campfire is great for socializing- but a fire makes your vision turn IN to the circle around the fire. To look OUT, skip the fire- and look at the stars.

When I was a youngster, warm summer night, we could grab a quilt from the house, spread it on the lawn, and sit out under the stars with our folks. Chase lightning bugs. Listen to whipoorwills. Watch the stars- and watch for shooting stars (Quick! make a wish!)

Listen to the frogs down at the lake in springtime. Once in a while, you would hear an owl down in the woods. And yes, you CAN hear trees grow!

Much cooler out on the lawn (pre- air conditioning days). Mom and Dad would be sitting on the quilt, kids would run around and play games until we got worn out, and plop down on the quilt. Usually would fall asleep, and get carried in to bed.

Remember camping in New Brunswick Canada- we must have been 20 miles from nearest electric light- stepped outside tent at 2:00 AM- STARS! Brilliant, hard, BRIGHT stars- hundreds of thousands of STARS. Sky full of diamonds.

Remember one night outside Fairbanks Alaska- the Aurora had kicked up- Northern lights from one horizon to the next. Shifting bands of light, like draperies hanging in folds. Myself and one other person were probably the only humans in 100 sq miles. Light show just for us.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The campfire is great for socializing- but a fire makes your vision turn IN to the circle around the fire. To look OUT, skip the fire- and look at the stars.

When I was a youngster, warm summer night, we could grab a quilt from the house, spread it on the lawn, and sit out under the stars with our folks. Chase lightning bugs. Listen to whipoorwills. Watch the stars- and watch for shooting stars (Quick! make a wish!)

Listen to the frogs down at the lake in springtime. Once in a while, you would hear an owl down in the woods. And yes, you CAN hear trees grow!

Much cooler out on the lawn (pre- air conditioning days). Mom and Dad would be sitting on the quilt, kids would run around and play games until we got worn out, and plop down on the quilt. Usually would fall asleep, and get carried in to bed.

Remember camping in New Brunswick Canada- we must have been 20 miles from nearest electric light- stepped outside tent at 2:00 AM- STARS! Brilliant, hard, BRIGHT stars- hundreds of thousands of STARS. Sky full of diamonds.

Remember one night outside Fairbanks Alaska- the Aurora had kicked up- Northern lights from one horizon to the next. Shifting bands of light, like draperies hanging in folds. Myself and one other person were probably the only humans in 100 sq miles. Light show just for us.
AUH HAUH , I'm not the only one , this is like fishing..? The Northern Lights , ( Aurora-Arborealus) <--Spell checker on the frtiz..?
.................^.........^----------Whatever..!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sanctuary ! If you've read my posts at all , you may wonder why I love the out doors so much..!

Well , simple! It was the only anchor to sanity I'd knew from the age of remembrance to the age of 13. Just me and all that , the sky's , stars , wind , just all of it..!

It loved me as much as I loved it , no pain , no expectations , just good ole peace of mind..!

I just never quit it ...!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Oh, I would love to see the aurora borealis. Every rare once in a while it can be seen from where I live. I have never seen it but only heard of it the next day and I know it's not as beautiful as what you would see in Alaska. Thanks for the newest "bucket list" item. I'm going to have to live to be 180 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
It loved me as much as I loved it , no pain , no expectations , just good ole peace of mind..!

I just never quit it
...!
Nor should you ever quit it......

I also love the outdoors. I like peace and quiet. I enjoy spending time alone for thinking and self reflection. I like the little discoveries one can make. And you can also hear the corn grow. Out here it's louder than the trees.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Locutus, sniffing smoke from a pile of Lodge Pole pine and sipping single malt scotch can bring many night visitors. I did that one night up on the Powder River. I saw the entire 7th Cavalry riding north toward the Rose Bud!
Haven't seen "Old Ephraim" yet, but I keep lookin' for him up on the Popo Agie.

Winston Churchill
dango Likes This