The Great Hot Dog Debate - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Great Hot Dog Debate


View Poll Results: Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?
Hell yes it's a sandwich 8 21.62%
Definitely not a sandwich 9 24.32%
In a class all it's own 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,526
Liked 8887 Times on 5316 Posts
Likes Given: 11888

Default

Well, let me put it this way.

If you had a ham, bologna or turkey sandwich for lunch and someone says "What did you have for lunch?" you reply, "A sandwich".

But if you had a hot dog for lunch and someone asks you the same question, do you still reply "A sandwich" or do you say "A hot dog"?

THAT should be the differentiating factor.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
boatme98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mid Tennessee
Posts: 3,922
Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Default

A dubious piece of "meat" on bread? It's a sandwich. Hinge be damned.
Btw, I just returned from the grocery with rolls for my dogs tonight. What did I buy? Sandwich Rolls.
boatme98 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
falseharmonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nashville,TN
Posts: 1,744
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Btw, I just returned from the grocery with rolls for my dogs tonight. What did I buy? Sandwich Rolls.
Great, just like non brand-name bandages are "adhesive strips"....

It if walks like a hot dog, talks like a hot dog, smells like a hot dog, and tastes like a hot dog, it is NOT a sandwich....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think you're the only one putting miracle grow on your cat's tail.
falseharmonix is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Troy Michalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bastrop,Texas
Posts: 2,475
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

This poll has really made me stop and think.

My first reaction was that hotdogs are in a class all their own (which I still stand by). But more than that, while doing research to support my argument a bigger argument has come to light.

First let us think of sandwiches. Not what qualities make a sandwich a sandwich, but different sandwiches. Youíve got the club sandwich, fish sandwich, roast beef sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ham & cheese sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, BLT sandwich . . . . and quite a few more. But there is no Hot Dog Sandwich. Just like there is no Taco Sandwich.

So then, tacos are in a class of their own too, right? After all, there are fish tacos and fajita tacos. There are soft tacos and crispy tacos. And then there are a bevy of breakfast tacos. Now for the sake of keeping this in the realm of readability Iíll include wraps and pitas the same as tacos.

So itís settled, hotdogs and tacos (wraps/pitas) = class of their own.

Now letís think about burgers. Is a burger a sandwich, or is it in a class of its own as well? After all, there is no hinge on a hamburger bun like a hotdog bun, so arguably itís a sandwich. In fact, half of the time burgers are displayed on a menu they are listed in the sandwich section, the other half of the time they are displayed in their own section. Burgers are all basically constructed the same, which consequently is very similar to sandwich construction. However, with ALL of the different variations of burgers (cheese, bacon, avocado, mushrooms, double meat. . . . ) itís no wonder they get their own section.

So, are hamburgers sandwiches or are they in a class of THEIR own?

And finally there are the subs, grinders, hoagies and heros; and I think everyone would agree that these are definitely sandwiches . . . . . . or are they? On the one hand VERY similar to the common sandwich. However, they do have, or at least start out with, a hinged bun like a hotdog. Some subs have the same ingredients as a sandwich, like a ham & cheese. But then again, you wouldnít make a meatball sandwich (no hinge); youíd make a meatball sub (hinge). So it is this writerís humble opinion that while a sub can be a sandwich, a sandwich cannot be a sub.

In conclusion my FTF brethren, I think this is a much more complex question than was first realized Nitrox and his buddies. Now, what say you FTF?
__________________
- Make everything count -


Troy Michalik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
boatme98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mid Tennessee
Posts: 3,922
Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
Great, just like non brand-name bandages are "adhesive strips"....

It if walks like a hot dog, talks like a hot dog, smells like a hot dog, and tastes like a hot dog, it is NOT a sandwich....
Two different things. Bandages are gauze or cloth, and while all Band-Aids (merely a registered/copyrighted name) are adhesive strips, all adhesive strips are definently not Band-Aids. Ask Johnson & Johnson.

When I grill my dogs, after they're crispitized all around, I split them in half and grill the flat sides, then place on a roll. Voila! Sandwich!
boatme98 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,390
Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
This poll has really made me stop and think.

My first reaction was that hotdogs are in a class all their own (which I still stand by). But more than that, while doing research to support my argument a bigger argument has come to light.

First let us think of sandwiches. Not what qualities make a sandwich a sandwich, but different sandwiches. Youíve got the club sandwich, fish sandwich, roast beef sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ham & cheese sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, BLT sandwich . . . . and quite a few more. But there is no Hot Dog Sandwich. Just like there is no Taco Sandwich.

So then, tacos are in a class of their own too, right? After all, there are fish tacos and fajita tacos. There are soft tacos and crispy tacos. And then there are a bevy of breakfast tacos. Now for the sake of keeping this in the realm of readability Iíll include wraps and pitas the same as tacos.

So itís settled, hotdogs and tacos (wraps/pitas) = class of their own.

Now letís think about burgers. Is a burger a sandwich, or is it in a class of its own as well? After all, there is no hinge on a hamburger bun like a hotdog bun, so arguably itís a sandwich. In fact, half of the time burgers are displayed on a menu they are listed in the sandwich section, the other half of the time they are displayed in their own section. Burgers are all basically constructed the same, which consequently is very similar to sandwich construction. However, with ALL of the different variations of burgers (cheese, bacon, avocado, mushrooms, double meat. . . . ) itís no wonder they get their own section.

So, are hamburgers sandwiches or are they in a class of THEIR own?

And finally there are the subs, grinders, hoagies and heros; and I think everyone would agree that these are definitely sandwiches . . . . . . or are they? On the one hand VERY similar to the common sandwich. However, they do have, or at least start out with, a hinged bun like a hotdog. Some subs have the same ingredients as a sandwich, like a ham & cheese. But then again, you wouldnít make a meatball sandwich (no hinge); youíd make a meatball sub (hinge). So it is this writerís humble opinion that while a sub can be a sandwich, a sandwich cannot be a sub.

In conclusion my FTF brethren, I think this is a much more complex question than was first realized Nitrox and his buddies. Now, what say you FTF?
I'm going to need a day or two to absorb this. I'll get back to you. Well done.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,390
Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Hinge be damned.
I can't believe you said that! I ask that a moderator please strike that post.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,390
Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Well, let me put it this way.

If you had a ham, bologna or turkey sandwich for lunch and someone says "What did you have for lunch?" you reply, "A sandwich".

But if you had a hot dog for lunch and someone asks you the same question, do you still reply "A sandwich" or do you say "A hot dog"?

THAT should be the differentiating factor.
I think WOC presents a very convincing argument here.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sun, Sand, and Palm Trees,Fla.
Posts: 2,114
Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
This poll has really made me stop and think.

My first reaction was that hotdogs are in a class all their own (which I still stand by). But more than that, while doing research to support my argument a bigger argument has come to light.

First let us think of sandwiches. Not what qualities make a sandwich a sandwich, but different sandwiches. Youíve got the club sandwich, fish sandwich, roast beef sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ham & cheese sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, BLT sandwich . . . . and quite a few more. But there is no Hot Dog Sandwich. Just like there is no Taco Sandwich.

So then, tacos are in a class of their own too, right? After all, there are fish tacos and fajita tacos. There are soft tacos and crispy tacos. And then there are a bevy of breakfast tacos. Now for the sake of keeping this in the realm of readability Iíll include wraps and pitas the same as tacos.

So itís settled, hotdogs and tacos (wraps/pitas) = class of their own.

Now letís think about burgers. Is a burger a sandwich, or is it in a class of its own as well? After all, there is no hinge on a hamburger bun like a hotdog bun, so arguably itís a sandwich. In fact, half of the time burgers are displayed on a menu they are listed in the sandwich section, the other half of the time they are displayed in their own section. Burgers are all basically constructed the same, which consequently is very similar to sandwich construction. However, with ALL of the different variations of burgers (cheese, bacon, avocado, mushrooms, double meat. . . . ) itís no wonder they get their own section.

So, are hamburgers sandwiches or are they in a class of THEIR own?

And finally there are the subs, grinders, hoagies and heros; and I think everyone would agree that these are definitely sandwiches . . . . . . or are they? On the one hand VERY similar to the common sandwich. However, they do have, or at least start out with, a hinged bun like a hotdog. Some subs have the same ingredients as a sandwich, like a ham & cheese. But then again, you wouldnít make a meatball sandwich (no hinge); youíd make a meatball sub (hinge). So it is this writerís humble opinion that while a sub can be a sandwich, a sandwich cannot be a sub.

In conclusion my FTF brethren, I think this is a much more complex question than was first realized Nitrox and his buddies. Now, what say you FTF?
Troy, you have way too much time on your hands, you need a hobby. How about guns and shooting?
__________________
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich


The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
Car54 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NitroxAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: molonlabeforum.com
Posts: 4,899
Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
In conclusion my FTF brethren, I think this is a much more complex question than was first realized Nitrox and his buddies. Now, what say you FTF?
Hence the title of the thread "The Great Hot Dog Debate". Add to this copious amount of beer on the holiday and, well...You know
NitroxAZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Help me with a Canadian debate themyst Legal and Activism 30 10-13-2010 01:07 AM
Big Debate Tonight! CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 31 09-02-2010 04:16 PM
The Great Safe Queen Debate Benning Boy The Club House 15 08-01-2010 11:23 AM
Who listened to the debate? Jesse17 Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 04-01-2009 03:24 AM
Democratic debate cnorman18 Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 08-19-2007 06:16 PM



Newest Threads