Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The Great Blue Gun Drive (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/great-blue-gun-drive-74896/)

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:03 PM

The Great Blue Gun Drive

1 Attachment(s)
This is a blue gun.

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:07 PM

It's a training piece that LEOs, martial artists, etcetera, use to simulate the shape and feel of a real gun.

But it serves another purpose...

Holster guys like Longballer use it to mold their wares to provide a custom fit for your carry piece. This is what separates the snug, crevice hugging custom holster from a leather sack.

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:15 PM

They make these in just about every firearm you can imagine.

So this is where the ideas kicked in.

There are a couple of threads out there by and for Longballer, selling his holsters, and the same theme pops up. He's selling 1911 holsters, because he has a 1911 mold.

"Nice work there, Longballer, can you do a Walther P99?"

No, he can't. At least, not the way he'd want to, not to perfection, because he doesn't have a mold for it.

But what if he did?

What if we helped him grow his business?

What if you sent him a blue Walther P99? They run about $40. What if he gave you a break on the price of the holster, and he keeps the blue gun?

Now you have a discounted custom holster, he keeps the blue gun, and he now has a mold for future use.

Who sees a problem here?

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:20 PM

The best price I've found thus far is from Botach, handguns are $40.

Somebody was asking about an XD custom holster...

http://www.botachtactical.com/blguspxd1.html

willshoum 10-23-2012 02:24 PM

Blue guns...?????

I thought they stopped doing studys on tripping on LSD.....:)

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:28 PM

Why do this? Seems like a pain in the rear....

1) We help a fellow member realize a dream. If his holster business takes off, if we flood him with orders, he reinvests in himself, and just maybe, becomes something huge in the gunworld. Maybe he ends up in a booth at the SHOT show.

2) I know for me, I NEVER think about a holster until after I get a new gun home, then I'm all, "Now how am I gonna carry it?" Stupid, I know, but I do it every time....

3) What if there was a steep discount involved?;)

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshoum (Post 986637)
I thought they stopped doing studys on tripping on LSD.....:)

I know, I posted a pic of a plastic Glock. That couldn't be real...

drvsafe 10-23-2012 02:32 PM

There may be a patent or copyright infringement issue if you are using a patented design (the blue gun) as a mold for the purpose of resale, without the original manufacturer's permission.

I may be wrong, but given the litigiousness of our society today, it wouldn't surprise me if I were right.

trip286 10-23-2012 02:33 PM

The only problem I see is...
Has anyone asked longballer what he thinks?
I for one wouldn't appreciate being flooded with people asking for discounts in exchange for something like this without me previously knowing about it.
I wouldn't be pissed... But I wouldn't appreciate it.

Have you discussed it with him?

TWMIM 10-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 986647)
The only problem I see is...
Has anyone asked longballer what he thinks?
I for one wouldn't appreciate being flooded with people asking for discounts in exchange for something like this without me previously knowing about it.
I wouldn't be pissed... But I wouldn't appreciate it.

Have you discussed it with him?

Surely you don't believe that I would just toss this out there and demand a discount on a product without consulting the man?

You, sir, have insulted me. I'm going to send him a blue mold of my hand, have him make a gauntlet, and throw it down to you...