A great american day!!!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A great american day!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default A great american day!!!

I went to my range to volunteer as a range safety officer/magazine loader for a machine gun shoot for the Youth Marine Corps and the local Boy Scouts. It turned out to be one of the most full-filling days I've had recently. The camraderie was outstanding. It was great to help out with keeping those magazines topped so those young kids could keep sending lead downrange. Here's a list of what was used for the shoot ( I got to shoot these also for my efforts as ammo guy - a BIG plus!!!!):

M1 Garand

M1903 Springfield

M-14

M-1 Carbine

Uzi 9x19mm (fully automatic)

MP-40 9x19mm (fully automatic)

M-3 Grease Gun (fully automatic)

Thompson Sub-Machine Gun (fully automatic)

Sten 9x19mm (fully automatic)

FAL .308 rifle

AR-15 Rifle

Armalite .50 BMG

(there were other rifles, and muskets, at the other end of the line that I didn't really get to because I was pretty busy...lol.)

Targets were set up from 25 yards to 300 yards out. It was great working with these kids. These kids have given me hope for the next generation because they all displayed great respect and manners throughout the whole event. I spoke with a retired Gunnery Sergeant there and we even had a competition between us two. We both faced off to determine who could hit the 300 yard steel target the most with the M-14 and the M-1 Garand. The result: A Tie!!!! We each got perfect scores!!!! After that we shook each others hand and developed an even greater respect for each other. He was a credit to the Marine Corp.

Another good moment was firing the Armalite .50 BMG rifle at one of the 300 yard steel targets. Granted, it's not hard to hit a 300 yard 24 inch target with a .50 BMG. Those things are pretty flat shooting. It was still fun to experience the muzzle blast.

Another great experience is shooting a first series Thompson Sub-Machine gun .45 ACP on full auto, using hollowpoints. You wnat to know what is worse than a 1911 with hollowpoints, the Thompson is your answer. I would glady take that to war even today. Those things as such a joy to shoot. The recoil is soft, and easily manageable. No wonder every one wanted them in WWII.

Basically, this day has been great, and it re-affirmed my faith in today's youth and was a great example of the true America that is still out there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #2

That sounds like a great day! A lot better than mine. I worked.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great post SGT. Nice to hear the local scouts are doing something other than quilting these days.

*envy and jealousy*

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great stuff. We need all the hope we can get these days.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #5

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Its nice to hear a positive story for a change. Grats man and I wont say im not jelouse!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Its nice to hear a positive story for a change. Grats man and I wont say im not jealous!
I damn well will! Good for you Sgt. Miller, keep up that good mentoring to them boys.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

im jealous! great to hear other kids my age aren't all hopeless

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great Job SGT!!! Glad you enjoyed it. Also thanks for confirming that we do shoot 300 meter targets. Had a non-military argue with me that you couldn't do it without a scope. Showed him the manual, still wanted to argue.

GOOD WORK> KEEP IT UP

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know a group of kids that are going to have huge grins on their faces for life because of today!! Great Job Sarge!!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Robert NC, yeah the 300 meter targets were not that hard to hit at all with open sights. I will admit that I had to concentrate a little harder with the M1 Garand, though. The shorter stock than the M-14 was causing me to take my time a little bit...lol.