You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Grand Jury

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #1
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1127 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grand Jury

I got subpoenaed to testify about the breakin of my garage, just wondering if any of you have done this and what I should expect. As I understand this the grand jury decides if and what to charge the defendants with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2016, 03:49 AM   #2

Liked 150 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Just tell the truth. They may ask questions, they may not. Sometimes their foreman may just say tell us about it. Sometimes they may have already been briefed and have more specific questions.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #3
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I slept through the whole thing, all I know is what the deputy told me after the fact, other than what is missing, and I probably won't know all of that until it warms up and I start working out there again. When I go to get a tool and find it missing.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4117 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Grand Juries are non-confrontational. The Defense has no say, nor any appearance. Generally they rubberstamp the outcome the D/A asks for

Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default grand jury

They want to know a few things that are very important.
1) How was the shed secured - a lock, no trespassing signs, etc. They need to have it explained like a 4 yr old that any idiot would know they should not enter.
2) They need know that no one but you or your spouse are allowed inside - that means no friends of your children, grand kids or acquaintances would be allowed to "borrow" the items in your shed.

The grand jury must decided by a simple majority that the person accused possibly did the accused act. Grand jury verdict is not a judgement of guilt just a probability that the act occured by the accused.

You need to convince the grand jury that the accused was not/ nor assumed that you allowed them to steal your stuff.

I am not an attorney or a lawyer just giving my opinion based on my grand jury experiences with.
Austin Likes This 
Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Grand Juries are non-confrontational. The Defense has no say, nor any appearance. Generally they rubberstamp the outcome the D/A asks for
I went in today, it was non-confrontational, most of the people looked like me (poor souls), the prosecuting attorney was great, asked me a few questions, the jury asked me a couple of questions and it was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky127 View Post
They want to know a few things that are very important.
1) How was the shed secured - a lock, no trespassing signs, etc. They need to have it explained like a 4 yr old that any idiot would know they should not enter.
2) They need know that no one but you or your spouse are allowed inside - that means no friends of your children, grand kids or acquaintances would be allowed to "borrow" the items in your shed.

The grand jury must decided by a simple majority that the person accused possibly did the accused act. Grand jury verdict is not a judgement of guilt just a probability that the act occured by the accused.

You need to convince the grand jury that the accused was not/ nor assumed that you allowed them to steal your stuff.

I am not an attorney or a lawyer just giving my opinion based on my grand jury experiences with.
Pretty much it, they wanted to know if I had given permission to the thieves to come on my property and steal my stuff, I gave them pictures of the damage and told them a few things that didn't get into the police report, will be interested in what they actually get indicted for, the original charge was just breaking and entering.
Austin Likes This 
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11239 Times on 5958 Posts
Likes Given: 10923

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Unfortunately, that is true in most cases.

A GOOD prosecutor will present ALL of the evidence (including exculpatory) to the Grand Jury, and allow them to weigh the evidence without trying to sway them.

The Grand Jury is only charged with finding "probable cause" or lack thereof. The Petit Jury requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Big difference.

The prosecutor who can get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich will lose a lot of cases before a Petit Jury, and waste a lot of the taxpayer's money.

History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost