Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #71
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

You never know where these Grammar Nazi's will strike (or what their motivation might be!)

This is hilarious!

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/naked-lets-date-user-mom-blackmail/

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #72
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Grammar and punctuation are somewhat important but some people go to extremes with complaining about it. Here is an example of 2 identical sentences with different meanings.

Let's eat grandpa.

Let's eat, grandpa.

Sister Consalata attempted to beat proper grammar and punctuation as well as spelling into me with a 3' long hardwood pointer (remember those). She was mostly successful at the time but since none of my jobs have required proper writing skills 38 years later I am not any where near perfect at it, I do use what I remember so that I might not be thought to be illiterate. Plus there is the fear that if I didn't she would come up out the grave and come after me with that pointer.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Grammar and punctuation are somewhat important but some people go to extremes with complaining about it. Here is an example of 2 identical sentences with different meanings.

Let's eat grandpa.

Let's eat, grandpa.

Sister Consalata attempted to beat proper grammar and punctuation as well as spelling into me with a 3' long hardwood pointer (remember those). She was mostly successful at the time but since none of my jobs have required proper writing skills 38 years later I am not any where near perfect at it, I do use what I remember so that I might not be thought to be illiterate. Plus there is the fear that if I didn't she would come up out the grave and come after me with that pointer.
You reminded me of a joke.

Punctuation is a key part of everyday writing. Otherwise the phrase "I helped my Uncle Jack, off a horse" becomes "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse". See what I mean?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #74
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You reminded me of a joke.

Punctuation is a key part of everyday writing. Otherwise the phrase "I helped my Uncle Jack, off a horse" becomes "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse". See what I mean?
Pretty much the point I was making. Unless your uncle is in the horse artificial insemination business then all bets are off!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #75

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 334

In my younger years I hated English class. I could at least write a half decent short story/report. I could also type fairly well.

I am at this time lucky to communicate in any reasonable manner. I read and post on forums because;
1. I am interested in firearms.
2. It helps me to relearn my fine motor skills.
3. It helps me to work on my memory issues.

Did I say that I hate the formal English as taught in school. At least as when I was in school

Yes! I like Smilies

I have a warped sense of humor (so I've been told)

and where I come from we don't pay no never mind to proper english, 'cause we gots 'nuf trouble talk'n good

Life's great, stay safe

By the by it took me 15 minutes to write this post. Six(6) months ago it would'a took 20.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #76
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I have been accused of being a grammar NAZI online and at work. Like it or not people judge you by what they can see. Poor grammar and spelling can and do lead you to be labeled uneducated, lazy or just plain stupid. Just like mussed up, wrinkled clothing will get you labeled a slob.

I nit pick reports at work. I want the officers under my command to present their best face to the attorneys who may potentially see their work. An attorney has to make judgement calls about whether to take a case to trial. A well written report is indicative of a good communicator. If one can present ideas in a typed report, they are much more likely to be good witnesses on the stand. An attorney is likely to tell the defendant to take a plea deal if he feels the reporting/arresting officer will be a "tough nut to crack". These judgements are based almost exclusively on the presentation of facts in the report and Probable Cause Affidavit submitted upon arrest/obtaining a warrant for arrest.

The firearms community is labeled a bunch of Neanderthals by the liberal, anti gun crowd. I would rather not give them any more ammuniton to boster this assumption.

Why do you think attractive, successful and articulate people like Charlton Heston and Tom Selleck are enthusiastically paraded about by the NRA?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #77
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions

Robo, couldn't agree more. I try and work with that, based on 25+ years of teaching and trying to be a good influence on young minds. Even if I make a grammar or spelling error here, when I see it I will "re-Edit"
Once a College student( in an ROTC class no less) asked me why I was so Hard on her spelling on a Paper. I told her "how do you expect an appointment to The AF Acd. With a paper like that? If I were an admissions officer at any of the service schools I'd reject you on this papers' spelling no matter how good your Math scores were!!"

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #78
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Robo and DrFootball make excellent points. I have seen a contract nullified and a criminal set free because both were written, incorrectly, by people that sat in the back of the English class chanting, "I'm never gonna need any of this." There are places in professional life where a blaśe attitude towards language is unacceptable and unforgivable.

But the true root of this argument is respect: Respect for one's self and respect for language and what they have to say. The current line of thinking says you have to give respect to get respect. Most old timers say respect is earned. But what does it say when you wish to communicate on a forum of a subject you enjoy and no one can understand you? Much of Internet communication is written, therefore those educated in the era of the computer should have enough respect for themselves to know how to communicate effectively, at least if they wish others to understand their point.

Also, to Quentin, Jäger, and other ESL students: You epitomize respect to language. Even when an ESL student makes a spelling or grammatical error, the rest of their writing is normally clean, clear and concise. Furthermore, they have more of an excuse for the errors. And while some of these people are apologetic of their language skills, they are usually more accurate than native speakers. Kudos to those who even attempt one of the hardest languages in the World!

We all wish to be respected. In an Internet World, the best way to accomplish that is with clear, concise language. So while not everyone can live up to the Language Nazi standard, everyone can attempt to do their best to make sure that the point they are trying to convey is done so as clearly as possible to the greatest number of people. If that is accomplished, then the purpose of the language has done it's job.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #79
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6947 Times on 3493 Posts
Likes Given: 7560

We have many Amish and Mennonites relocating into CNY, they are fun to listen to. Their English is a little jumbled, "Throw me down the stairs a towel". Specially when they start speaking Germglish! Its a whole language unto itself. I spent a couple years in Germany so I pick up on much of what they are saying but they sprinkle English throughout the Deutch!