Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

I once submitted a Lettering & Typography assignment for a NYC subway car ad that said:

Are you Illiterate?
Write for FREE brochure!

Last edited by Vincine; 03-26-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: I forgot the first two words. It was 40 years ago.
People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i won a spelling bee in jr. high once!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I got an A+ on mine

Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i won a spelling bee in jr. high once!
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/spelling-bee?ref=cnt_ctlg_dgn_0

No, not everybody at the walmart understands.
People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You covered the two things I was reluctant to mention. Laziness and lack of respect. Make an effort. Make your best effort.

Some people have hinted that this is only a firearms forum so we don't need to be that careful. For the most part I can agree with that, especially in the politics sections. You're not going to change anything, so have at it. Where I disagree is if you are giving instructions. These are firearms. Someone can get hurt or even killed because they didn't fully understand what you wrote. If you are trying to tell someone how to do something or how to fix something you need to make your best effort in getting your point across.

I'm not one of the spelling nazis, and I am not a grammar nazi. I was educated in a very small southern town, and it takes a lot of effort for me to post in a way I think everyone will understand. I just think that when you post you should give it your best shot. Your best shot may not be as good as mine, and mine certainly isn't as good as most, but make the effort. If it's important enough for you to do, it's important enough to do it right.
Excellent point, Doc. After all, we ARE talking firearms here, that's the name of this site. So to avoid muddled, dangerous instruction we must clearly ask and answer questions. We don't know at what level our reader functions; we don't know if they can interpret poor writing. Anyone reading our writing could make a deadly mistake. That's another reason I want to be clear and expect it of others.

My education through high school also was in a small Southern town. Fortunately I knew early on I wanted to go to college so entering 9th grade signed up for a 4-year college prep curriculum and got high enough grades to remain in the program. Initially I wondered if my education was inferior to what "Yankees" got but it served me well in the Army and college. (At least I knew then the Earth orbits the Sun while 25% of US citizens today do not! )
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

"Lan'lord, ain't this company agreeable to you? Ain't it? If this company ain't agreeable to you, p'r'aps we'd better leave. Is that your idea? Is that what you're coming at? Lan'lord, don't crowd a man! Don't do it. If nothin'll do you but a disturbance, out with it like a man ('ic)-- but don't rake up bygones and fling 'em in the teeth of a passel of people that wants to be peaceable if they could get a chance. What's the matter with you this mornin', anyway? I never see a man carry on so." ~ Mark Twain's "Roughing It"

[Sidenote: Did Twain foresee internet chat rooms, or what?!]

The above quote is not Standard American English, but the non-standard language is probably the most effective way to convey the message and the mood and the environment of the speaker.

Intentionally or unintentionally, the language skills you choose to use convey not only your message; they also convey a message about you, your values, your credibility, your powers of perception, etc. There's no way around that, so you might as well factor it in.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If someone asks me to proofread his or her college admissions essay, I will be a grammar and spelling Nazi. If I am posting in an online forum, I am mostly just concerned with my own writing. When others post comments that are too disorganized, I just skip over them. However, I must say that I am extremely critical of people who act like the spelling/grammar police while using incorrect grammar or misspelled words to correct others.
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
If someone asks me to proofread his or her college admissions essay, I will be a grammar and spelling Nazi.
My oldest was complaining about her freshman college english prof's grading of her essay. I had her send me the graded essay. Told her the C- was far better grade than I would have given. Made me really wonder how in the hell she managed an A in her senior year at high school. IT WAS AWFUL!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #59

Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Some of you really need better things to do.
Personally,if someone forgets to have perfect grammar or typing,I could care less.
I never learned how to type,I just wing it. If I happen to spell a word wrong,sometimes I see,sometimes I don't.

The last time I checked,nobody gets graded on the things they type on any internet forum. There are way bigger things in this world to bitch about.
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #60
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I have nothing to add, so here's a random video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w2MTXBebg