Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/grammar-spelling-other-useless-distractions-105465/)

Vikingdad 03-26-2014 01:03 AM

Grammar, Spelling and other Useless Distractions

A thread was recently closed here that was not only interesting but I think important to our goal of understanding the Second Amendment War we are all soldiers in. The thread got sidetracked by a member who took it upon themselves to point out a spelling "error" that really had no measurable effect on the message that the person who made the "mistake" was trying to convey. In response to this post I posted these thoughts:
Quote:

Seriously? You should worry as much about your grammar and sentence structure as you do about somebody else's spelling. Hell, I don't use "spellcheck" at all and seem to do a better job than many (if not most) here. But I don't Lord over people about it and I don't get all butt-hurt about the mistakes of others because it does absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation.

The purpose of language is to execute meaningful communication. That can be done effectively without proper grammar, spelling and in many (some?) cases punctuation. It might just take a person a few seconds longer to determine the precise message the writer intends to convey.

I have found that it is often the case where a person who lacks common writing skills often has highly valuable input. If you focus on the words rather than the message they are intended to convey, you will miss that.

Can we get back to the subject at hand now?
The very next post was by one of the Mods, reiterating my last sentence and also warning that any further off-topic posts would cause the thread to be locked. Of course, the next few threads were all off-topic and BOOM! Down came the Hammer.

Seriously people? Freaking get over yourselves! Not everybody is perfect (in fact, many times the person making the criticism has numerous errors of their own under their belt, sometimes in the very thread attacking another member!) and it does absolutely nothing to further the conversation for you to point out every little butt-hurt detail you might notice.

Lets stop with the Grammar Police people! If you can't read a post then just ignore it and move on.

Axxe55 03-26-2014 01:06 AM

personally, i don't expect perfection in any post as far as grammer or spelling, but i do like a post that is readable so that i can understand the message being conveyed.

John_Deer 03-26-2014 01:24 AM

Even if you feel this overwhelming desire to correct someones grammar it should be done in private. Once you embarrass someone the conversation stops and they build up resentment for you.

Peoples errors in grammar and spelling give them an identity. Those who refuse to use spellcheck cannot hide. You can spot their posts no matter how many usernames they might have.

Vikingdad 03-26-2014 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1539978)
Even if you feel this overwhelming desire to correct someones grammar it should be done in private. Once you embarrass someone the conversation stops and they build up resentment for you.

Peoples errors in grammar and spelling give them an identity. Those who refuse to use spellcheck cannot hide. You can spot their posts no matter how many usernames they might have.

I agree on the first point, but not the second. I do not use Spellcheck at all, and 100% of what I write is from my keyboard without outside assistance. I do not expect that everybody wants to do that, or maybe they can't. It doesn't matter one way or the other really. And, as you point out, people cannot hide forever from their individual style of writing regardless of the number of usernames they might have. Personally I feel no need to "hide" from my posts. And I don't think anyone else should either.

Stephen Fry has it nailed, and he says it very well.

molonlabexx 03-26-2014 02:40 AM

Thanks for getting my thread closed ;)

Honestly brother I would just let it go, it simply ain't worth it.

therewolf 03-26-2014 02:47 AM

I obsess about spelling and grammar, on ONE person's posts here.

I spell-check, I even google the big words I'm unsure of. I proof

read them when I think they are proper.

My concern is bad spelling or grammar are a distraction from

the message.

That one person's posts I obsess about is my own...

...would it were, that others would do the same thing.:(

molonlabexx 03-26-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1540080)
I obsess about spelling and grammar, on ONE person's posts here.

I spell-check, I even google the big words I'm unsure of. I proof

read them when I think they are proper.

My concern is bad spelling or grammar are a distraction from

the message.

That one person's posts I obsess about is my own...

...would it were, that others would do the same thing.:(

I can't tell if this is a poem or not... XD

Vikingdad 03-26-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx (Post 1540072)
Thanks for getting my thread closed ;)

Honestly brother I would just let it go, it simply ain't worth it.

Look again. I got it re-opened. ;)

You are welcome.

(and I did not get it closed- it was the posts following mine that did it in.)

molonlabexx 03-26-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1540085)
Look again. I got it re-opened. ;)

You are welcome.

(and I did not get it closed- it was the posts following mine that did it in.)

You are my hero. Danke!

therewolf 03-26-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx (Post 1540082)
I can't tell if this is a poem or not... XD

If it is, I'm the lousiest accidental poet in history.

Nothing rhymes, the meter is off, and the composition is

shyte...