Got rearended - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Got rearended

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I will more than likely take the beating of fixing it myself than to file on my own insurance . Its been close a few times and I told them if it came down to it then cancel the claim . What I have also found out , if you even call them to just to see if the damage is covered then it will be considered a claim .
Had some minor water damage at home and I called to ask , luck y my agent is cool and told me that if they have to dig to find out then its a claim , but it did not sound like it would have been covered so we both just forgot I even called .
Its not about who does the better work , the dealer or a indy but who can do the same work for less due to overhead .
NOW
not all parts are the same , yes the higher parts are much better for newer cars something you like to keep nice . But these china parts ? yea , their functional but fit and finish is crap , got a 2 in gap on the wifes front cover , do I care ? no b/c before too long she will wreck it again , heck I dont even bother to paint her car any more , EVERY single panel has been fixed or replaced on that car , all 4 doors and rear gate , few hoods and bumpers , several fenders , only thing un-molested is the dang roof .
AXXE , I know we see it different , I am not going after what is not due to me , I use all my trucks for my lively hood and I know just how bad the ins companies are but the majority of people do not . Dont forget that we deal with them every single day and we constantly have to argue b/c they want to pay us less than what is owed .
The adjuster IIRC gets scored by how much or how cheap their write ups come in , I see them miss damage all the time and not just minor damage either , saw one miss one whole side of a car .
Gotta be diligent and some what know how to handle these people , dont put all your faith in them

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 AM   #52

Liked 361 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 6

my 2 cents on the insurance claim.

my Charger got backed into back in December. when the other guys insurance company contacted me to get details, they asked if I needed a rental car, I said no. the estimate I got from one of their approved shops was $1600, I mailed all the paperwork to them & they sent ME a check for $2100. should I have sent them the extra $500 back?

a friend got his Cadillac in a wreck, he knew the guy at the body shop well & instead of replacing a panel they decided to pull the dents & use filler for the sole purpose of keeping the estimate value under a total loss. is it ethically wrong that he decided not to get a higher dollar estimate?

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #53

Liked 1054 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
my 2 cents on the insurance claim.

my Charger got backed into back in December. when the other guys insurance company contacted me to get details, they asked if I needed a rental car, I said no. the estimate I got from one of their approved shops was $1600, I mailed all the paperwork to them & they sent ME a check for $2100. should I have sent them the extra $500 back?

a friend got his Cadillac in a wreck, he knew the guy at the body shop well & instead of replacing a panel they decided to pull the dents & use filler for the sole purpose of keeping the estimate value under a total loss. is it ethically wrong that he decided not to get a higher dollar estimate?
On your car..no you didn't try to deceive them..you dont owe them anything...On your friends Caddy, it's his car, don't see a problem there. But it does raise the importance of a Carfax...If you are considering the purchase of a vehicle that has been involved in a crash...You don't know if it was repaired properly, or if some hack packed it full of bondo...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if you are filing on the other driver's insurance becasue they were at fault, then the parameters change. they are responsible for all damages that are incurred, including medical bills, rental car, and even lost time at work.

you never sign any waivers until everthing is taken care of. the others driver's insurance is going to cheap out as much as possible. they sometimes will steer you towards doing business with a certain bodyshop. they will many times try to undebid the estimate by using used or inferior parts. many times they will try to lowball everything to get out as cheaply a possible, becasue their driver was at fault.

if the other driver is at fault and you're filing on your insurance, then it's classified very similiar to a comprehensive damage claim. read your insurance policy to see what is covered and contact your insurance agent or the insurance provider. yes, you will have to pay a deductible. if you have rental car insurance, it will be on your policy.

there are many factors that govern the cost of an insurance policy on a behicle and not all insurance companies will cover the same things. i changed insurance companies once because under no circumstances would they cover any trailer that was pulled by my vehicle. many insurance policies will cover the trailer if it's damaged while being pulled by the covered vehicle. some companies won't. some companies won't insure the contents or the electronics in the event of a break-in or theft of the vehicle. they will cover the damages to the vehicle, but if your laptop or guns or your expensive stereo system were stolen during the break-in or theft, then your SOL on getting compensated for them being stolen. some insurance policies have add-on riders for such things. need to follow-up with your agent to see what is, and what isn't covered by the policy during a break-in or theft of the vehicle.

their are so many different factors that go into the cost of the insurance policy, and the cost of the policy. the better the coverage, usually the more the policy costs. one good way to lower your insurance costs is to combine it with your homeowners insurance policy or if you rent, then with renters insurance. sometime by combining them, you can sometimes save anywhere from 15-25% on the costs of the policies that were done seperately. some companies give you small discount every year you're with them. some give discounts the longer you are with them and don't make a claim.

another thing is, to stick with top-rated insurance companies. they tend to charge more, but they are less likely to rake you over the coals when a claim is made. insurance is like many other things in life, you get what you pay for in terms of them paying and service when filing a claim.

i have made one claim on insurance where i was determined to be the at fault driver in the collision. on my way to work one night, i tried to avoid the car in front of me that had stopped for a large pack of dogs crossing the highway. i was already slowing down from seeing her brakelights, and when i realized she wasn't slowing down but was stopped, i tried to avoid her vehicle, and hit her in the RH rear and side. it did extensive damage to her vehicle and my truck. i was cited a couple of days later, for failure to control my vehicle, which made me the driver at fault. the lady filed on my insurance, which they determined to have totaled her vehicle and paid her for the damages. they also paid for all my repairs and a rental car and all i paid for was my $750 deductable. after it was all said and done, my insurance company paid out almost $13K for both her vehicle and the repairs to my truck. i half expected my insurance rates to rise quite a bit, but they were raised very little, which suprised me. it was one of the top rated companies and i had been with them for several years and carried more than just that one vehicle with their company.

just something for others to ponder over about insurance.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #55

Liked 1102 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 565

What I run into all the time with boats is they will cover any and all damage , say caused by a fire BUT they will not cover what caused the fire .
Say a electrical part failed on the engine and caused major fire damage but not enough to total out the vessel . They will pay for everything minus the part that failed .
I am covered as far as towing trailers since I tow so many boats thatbelong to others I have to be . Only time it got sticky is that winch handle situation , boat was not mine but I was towing it but the owner of th eboat also had insurance but in the end I was the tower and it was my responsibility

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.