Got rearended - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Got rearended

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
Doesn't look bad enough to have bent the frame. Most of the newer cars just crumple, making the damage look a lot worse than it really is.
most do, but not all. I saw a Nissan Frontier 4 door get bent in the middle like a pocket knife after being rear ended.

most of the F150's damage may be bolt on stuff, but I bet it's still close to totaled based on the value of it being 16 years old. serves him right for not paying attention I guess

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

unfortunately for Airborne, even if he files in small claims court or lets his insurance company pursue the matter in getting a judgement against the guy, for all matters at hand, it's basically worthless. simply because if the guy couldn't afford the insurance on his vehicle, it''s very doubtful he has anything of value or assets to pursue after anyways. BTDT years ago. yes it sucks.

hopefully Airborne has uninsured/underinsured driver's on his policy. which means he can get his fixed or replaced for the cost of his deductable. he should also file a police report and have them pursue the issue as well.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #23

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

Courts will suspend his Drivers License (if he has one), and garnish his wages (if he has any) the pay back Airborne's insurance co. Uninsured motorist is standard on any decent policy these days....Unless you have billybob 200 internet insurance....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 06-20-2014 at 10:16 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

If someone has a truck like that, it would make a fair down payment on a new one for me.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2819

Yes I will have to come up with the deductible of $500 before my insurance co. will do anything. Unfortunately I was laid off in January and money is a little tight right now. I will save and scrimp for a month and then pay the deductible.
I do have uninsured and under insured coverage so I am good with that.

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 2127

Default Whats up..................

My wife had only one wreck, someone made a you turn in trafic. This time, some fool gives the go ahead to another driver that the coast is clear. She pulls out into oncoming trafic right into my wife, the driver that gave her the OK takes off. One week later the same thing happens. We got the second driver that gave the OK That caused the accident.....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #27

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Wow sorry about your car Airborne. But glad you and the Mrs. are ok. That uninsured motorist is a great investment. I would be getting a lawyer.

Seriously, good luck man. I hope it all works out for you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

More then likely your Jeep will be a total loss. Axxe was correct when he was describing your Jeeps unibody construction. Several of the panels damaged are welded on and are considered "structural" panels. The cost to replace welded on panels adds up fast as there's more labor involved in replacing them VS bolted on parts. Plus if you look up the parts price for each of the major panels needed you'll see the parts cost adds up quickly as well.

If a shop was going to repair your Jeep it would go up on a frame rack first and they would pull the damaged/crushed area out as much as possible before replacing all the damaged parts. On a unibody repair you replace all the structural pieces past the damaged area and work your way back out. If repaired properly the car should be the same as it was prior to the accident. The myth that a car will,"never be the same" is mostly due to improper repairs or vehicles that were repaired that never should have never been due to extensive damage.

For the F150 it looks like it hit more on the corner. Also it's a full frame vehicle going into a softer unibody vehicle. I would suspect that's why it's airbags did not deploy.

The next thing you should do is try and value your Jeep. The best way to get the value is to go on sites like autotrader or cars.com. Try and find Jeeps that are the same year with similar mileage and options. Sites like Kelley Blue Book and NADA.com are ok but they are not what the insurance companies use. The insurance companies are using the "current market value" which basically means the "street value." Once the insurance company makes you an offer you'll know if it's a good offer based on your research. If you feel the offer is low then ask the insurance company for a copy of the "evaluation" so you can go over it yourself. Your Jeep looks like it was in good condition so make you get paid properly.

I worked for a major insurance company and now I manage a collision center so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Paul

Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default Got rearended

Oh and damage to the vehicle is always covered under your collision coverage. The "un-insured motorist" coverage on your policy (if you have it) would be to cover your injuries.

What will happen is after you settle on the vehicle value with the insurance company they will pay the lien holder first. If there is any money left over then they will cut you a check less your $500 deductible.

Last edited by pawjr74; 06-22-2014 at 04:16 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2819

My insurance company told me that I would have to pay the deductible up front. As for paying it off it is not damaged bad enough to be totaled. I have checked it out pretty well, and I can see that they will need to cut off the quarter panel and weld on another piece of one, as far as the underside it appears to still be straight. I was able to open the rear hatch the other day after I just moved the black plastic bumper protector back a bit out of the way. It was simple to close it back up also. Their is a lot of crumpleing right behind the tail light assy, but not too bad. The bumper did get pushed up about 1/2".

File Type: jpg Jeep cls up1.jpg (29.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep cls up2.jpg (30.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep cls up3.jpg (31.5 KB, 27 views)

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson