You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Got A Quote You Like? Share It With Us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #2431
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Lewis Stevenson
If you like this quote, you would like the Jack Reacher (sounds like his motto) books by Lee Child. Bad guys vs. good guy.
People Like This 
Old 06-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #2432
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6004 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 30277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Got A Quote You Like? Share It With Us. - The Club House

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Lewis Stevenson

Great quote, I saw at the truckstop in Denver. Kinda sums it up for drivers...
Pretty much sums up why I ride as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdave View Post
If you like this quote, you would like the Jack Reacher (sounds like his motto) books by Lee Child. Bad guys vs. good guy.
just started reading them, and finished Make Me 2 days ago.

Reacher is one of only a few protagonists i can identify with in modern fiction. I grew up in a very similar setting to his, and never really knew civilian life before my early 20s. the Corps was pretty much all i knew for the first 16 years of my life.

There are a $#!+ ton of programs out there for our servicemen when they come home, to help them adjust to civilian life, and I am glad to see that. However, no one ever thinks of the fact that your life changes when you grow up in a military household, and your parent or spouse no longer serves.

transitioning to civilian life, there is a nig part of you that feels like you have lost part of the family structure you had, tied to those bases you once called home. In day to day or time of deployment, the other families there are part of your own, and you miss that.

those that have never felt that, willl never understand it.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
RKB Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #2433
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2228 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 1592

kfox

Quote:
transitioning to civilian life, there is a nig part of you that feels like you have lost part of the family structure you had, tied to those bases you once called home. In day to day or time of deployment, the other families there are part of your own, and you miss that.

those that have never felt that, willl never understand it.
Walking out the gate with my discharge papers in my hands, no Military ID in my wallet, knowing I would never come back, was a very lonesome feeling. The civilian world was very confusing. I didn’t know who to respect or where I fit in the whole scheme of things.

I was used to Navy uniforms, where you knew from reading the uniform whether the guy was senior in rate, about how long he had been in, what he did (his specialty), what ship he was on. If an officer what his rank was, whether or not he was a line officer or a “specialty” officer. That I saluted him and said “good Morning, Sir” and he would return my salute.

Order in the world!

Civilian life was just a bunch of anonymous people wandering around.

ellis

http://goatlocker.org/resources/nav/bsailor.htm

“...In years to come when sailors are home from the sea, they will still remember with fondness and respect the ocean in all its moods - the impossible shimmering mirror calm and the storm - tossed green water surging over the bow. And then there will come again a faint whiff of stack gas, a faint echo of the engines and a vision of bright signal flags snapping at the yardarm, a sound of hearty laughter on the mess decks.

Gone ashore for good they will grow wistful about their Navy days, when the sea belonged to them and a new port of call was ever over the horizon.

Remember this, they will stand taller and say:

" I WAS A SAILOR ONCE. I WAS PART OF THE NAVY….”

Aboard the U.S.S. Chanticleer (ASR-7), 1955 en-route to Yokosuka, Japan.

ellis
File Type: jpg img172.jpg (50.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by ellis36; 06-20-2017 at 03:46 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #2434

Liked 5034 Times on 2899 Posts
Likes Given: 8356

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #2435
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6004 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 30277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
kfox

Walking out the gate with my discharge papers in my hands, no Military ID in my wallet, knowing I would never come back, was a very lonesome feeling. The civilian world was very confusing. I didn’t know who to respect or where I fit in the whole scheme of things.

I was used to Navy uniforms, where you knew from reading the uniform whether the guy was senior in rate, about how long he had been in, what he did (his specialty), what ship he was on. If an officer what his rank was, whether or not he was a line officer or a “specialty” officer. That I saluted him and said “good Morning, Sir” and he would return my salute.

Order in the world!

Civilian life was just a bunch of anonymous people wandering around.

ellis

http://goatlocker.org/resources/nav/bsailor.htm

“...In years to come when sailors are home from the sea, they will still remember with fondness and respect the ocean in all its moods - the impossible shimmering mirror calm and the storm - tossed green water surging over the bow. And then there will come again a faint whiff of stack gas, a faint echo of the engines and a vision of bright signal flags snapping at the yardarm, a sound of hearty laughter on the mess decks.

Gone ashore for good they will grow wistful about their Navy days, when the sea belonged to them and a new port of call was ever over the horizon.

Remember this, they will stand taller and say:

" I WAS A SAILOR ONCE. I WAS PART OF THE NAVY….”

Aboard the U.S.S. Chanticleer (ASR-7), 1955 en-route to Yokosuka, Japan.

ellis
I remember what dad said the last time we pulled out of the driveway of the house we had about a mile from the back gate. "Now I know how this feels."

he retired just shy of 23 years in, after leaving NY for Paris Island in 1969. I know they say "Once A Marine, Always A Marine." and that is the case with him. Even in civilian life, those who have served will always have traces of their time in in their personality, mannerisms, and actions.

This holds true across all branches.

thank you for your service Ellis.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
ellis36 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #2436

Liked 466 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 2164

"I've been around for awhile and I know some things." I don't know if that's an exact quote but it was from a Clint Eastwood film, but I kind of like it because it fits some things in my life.