Got A Quote You Like? Share It With Us. - Page 172
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Got A Quote You Like? Share It With Us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #1711
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Character Matters Quotes from Mark Rutland

• The whole concept of virtuous living has become so alien to western culture that until-and unless-we recapture it, our society will remain unengraved with character.
• Character matters, and virtue is the strength of character.
• If a society hopes to elevate or ennoble its character, it must carefully define its values.
• Our ideal cannot be the quality of life. That puts comfort, ease, beauty, intelligence, wealth, power and convenience ahead of decency, goodness, kindness, and the innate value of every life created by God. The quality of life cannot be more important than the value of life.
• Perhaps a hundred years ago in the west, a book on character might have seemed so obvious as to have seemed frivolous.
• We have survived stock market crashes, depressions and world wars. We cannot long survive without character.
• Courage is not the feeling of fearlessness. It is rather that willingness of mind necessary to act out of conviction rather than feeling.
• Courage is that willingness to deny my own flesh and do what is right and noble, regardless of the cost.
• To confuse prudence and cowardice is dangerous folly indeed.
• Courage, true courage, is about valiant goodness.
• When fearful, blustering, lustful fools lead any nation, its character grows weak indeed.
• When loyalty is lost, the very fabric of relationship unravels.
• Even the disloyal depend on someone else’s loyalty.
• No society can expect loyalty to anchor its relationships once treachery becomes admirable.
• No one loves a demagogue like the disgruntled.
• The modern American sees work as the curse of the masses.
• Diligence is the virtue that leads on to balanced, successful living and creativity unfettered by dissipation and decadence.
• A Christian who reads the Bible and prays every day, necking passionately in the back seat of a car, is no safer than an unbeliever in the same situation. At some point, all that awakened passion steals all ability to stop.
• Modesty springs from a tempered and humble estimation of one’s own importance.
• The immodest announce by demeanor, dress and attitude, to everyone in general and to the opposite sex in particular, “ Look at me. I am what is important in this place. “
• A society without frugality loses its capacity to evaluate what is really precious.
• Bankruptcy in America comes dressed in a tuxedo, not in rags.
• I find it difficult to discover a vocabulary sufficient to express to modern westerners that it is possible to do without some things.
• Credit can be a good thing but its misuse destroys character. It creates a mirage of prosperity, becoming a self-made sword of Damocles.
• For the sake of self-discipline or simply because it is not a wise expenditure, there are times to forego even that which I can afford.
• Work hard, serve folks joyfully, save frugally and give generously.
• Willfully hiding pertinent information from another in order to get the better of him in a business deal is not shrewd business. It is thievery.
• ( on gambling ) : I exploit the passion and lust for chance in the life of another in order to take his goods with nothing in return. When a state or a nation begins to operate gambling games, it breeds characterlessness and immorality into the lives of its citizenry.
• “nothing is sacred” may well prove to be the epitaph of the west.
• Reverence is directly related to humility. There is nothing more obnoxious than arrogant brats who are bored with life. Our society has cultivated a deliberate boredom, a jaded resistance to being amazed, to wonder at anything. We must teach the young a sense of wonder. There are certain things in the presence of which I simply ought to be astonished.
• Reverencing things outside myself tears my eyes off my own importance.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #1712

P. 1027 : " The good, say the mystics of spirit, is God, a being whose only definition is that he is beyond man's power to conceive-a definition that invalidates man's conciousness and nullifies his concepts of existence. The good, say the mystics of muscle, is Society-a thing which they define as an organism that possesses no physical form, a superbeing embodied in no one in particular and everyone in general except yourself . "

-John Galt- from Atlas Shrugged
P.S. ( Who is John Galt ? )

Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #1713

"Los Angeles and Ho Chi Min City have declared themselves sister cities. It makes sense: they are both Third World metropolises formerly occupied by Americans."
-Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #1714

"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons."
-Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #1715

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #1716

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #1717

"I suppose it must be accepted that the majority of people who opt for a job in law enforcement are not interested in marksmanship and only people who are interested in marksmanship can be counted on to hit what they shoot at. This is hard for me to accept. I can sympathize with Simon Bolivar, when on his death bed, he sighed, 'I have plowed the sea. ' "
-Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #1718

"I suppose nothing can be done about the erroneous assumption that hand held fully automatic fire is somehow more efficient than aimed fire. As I used to demonstrate, when I had a teaching job, quick semi-automatic fire is far more likely to produce results than bursts. Thus the preoccupation of the Feds with the idea that is it somehow an offense against God and man to convert a semi-automatic weapon to a fully automatic capacity is simply a manifestation of ignorance. If a man is shooting at me, I would much prefer that he were on full auto than carefully holding and squeezing. The automatic option is the greatest encourager of the spray-and-pray technique, which I have long done my best to discourage. "
-Jeff Cooper-

Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #1719

" Man's mind, say the mystics of spirit, must be subordinated to the will of God . Man's mind, say the mystics of muscle, must be subordinated to the will of Society. Man's standard of value, say the mystics of spirit, is the pleasure of God, whose standards are beyond man's power of comprehension and must be accepted on faith . Man's standard of value, say the mystics of muscle, is the pleasure of Society , whose standards are beyond man's right of judgment and must be accepted as a primary absolute. The purpose of man's life, say both, is to become an abject zombie who serves a purpose he does not know, for reasons he is not to question .
His reward, say the mystics of spirit, will be given him beyond the grave. His reward, say the mystics of muscle, will be given on earth--to his great-grandchildren . "

- John Galt- P.1027 Atlas Shrugged

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-23-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #1720

" Wasn't it depressing to note how D-Day passed with no observation except by a couple of old codgers who went to Omaha Beach in a memorial visitation. As the twentieth century slides into its closing years, it seems obvious that society as a whole has lost all sense of proportion. Can it be that the whole human race is in need of another world war in order to sort itself out? Ugly thought. "
-Jeff Cooper-