Got a question for you fan boys out there. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Got a question for you fan boys out there.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's just me, I have to have one of everything. I'm the biggest flaming fan of all. He who dies with the most toys win etc,etc,etc. Why do you ask Grasshopper?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

In most instances, Military and LEO's do not have a choice of their service weapons. They get what is issued to them. They adapt to their use and hopefully become proficient with that firearm, for duty and personal protection. Most people tend to believe what's good for our soldiers and LEO's use is proven, and most likely will be reliable firearms for them. Peer pressure is very much alive, no matter your age.

Choosing the right firearm for yourself that fits your hand right, that is comfortable, reliable and natural, is like finding the right pair of comfortable shoes to wear, the brand does not matter, they just got to fit and satisfy you.

BTW, side bar here, the only people who have ever had a personal preference to use something different, along with their issued weapons in the military are S.O.F.

And that's the truth...............

Got a question for you fan boys out there. - The Club House

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #13

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I don't know about others but I base my opinions solely on my experience with them (items in question)-both from personal use and from a gunsmithing viewpoint. What has worked well for me in the past and what's the weak points of a particular firearm/scope/etc. What have I had to repair on a regular basis.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #14

while i agree that using that as the sole basis for choosing one item over another is ludicrous, they are not chosen solely for the fact that they are the cheapest. they still need to pass certain criteria to be accepted.

given the fact that they passed certain criteria, AND did it cheapest, CAN mean that the certain item is i good value. as such, i wouldnt discount someones choice of an item based on those criteria.

i, otoh, prefer to think for myself, but you have to realize that the majority of the population is not capable of doing that any more. remember, they did elect obama. and its not nice to make fun of retards.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm a Benning Fanboy. I like what works for Benning.

Benning has considerations on what makes the cut.

1) Benning has a budget. What he buys has to be of reasonable quality for the price, exhibit some large degree of durability, and be inexpensive to feed.

2) Benning is a big boy. And his hands are freaky large. It doesn't matter how badazz the flavor of the month is, if I can't hold it right, I can't hit with it.

3) Benning has terrain issues. I live in hilly land with much brush. I move about in urban settings. 400 meters is neither a need nor desirable here. There are no mountain to mountain shots where I operate. So while the AR is great if you have the space to exploit it's capabilities, I do fine with the AK at 200 meters, cuz that's the extent of my shot, and it fits the other two categories.

I think we've all seen a movie where the cool guy had a cool gun, and on some level wanted it. They're just movies. I think because the rest of the world touts a Glock as the ultimate makes you stand out as a maverick when you go with something else.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Leave my pink bunny shoes out of this!
Seconded!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's it Benning. You buy something that is what you want/afford.

I do realize that agencies have certain criterion that must be fullfilled. Otherwise, everyone would carry hi points(not bashing them. I just know they are cheap money wise).

The only reason I wrote this is someone blasted a supporting member on another thread as to why something is better than another. His justification?

Quote:
I have a Bad feeling about this, But SuperDave I have to Disagree with you. The Remington 870 the BEST PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN IN THE WORLD (Followed by the Moss 500).
On an unrelated note, Remington is one of the best gunmakers in the the world.
Military thinks so too, 870 (M870) and Model 700 Bolt-action Rifle (M-24 SWS and M40-A seires.) have Variants currently in use today, Sure the Benelli has a variant(M1014) but the Remingtons have more uses, and Are Issued to the Standard Soldier.

Remington Has no need to hire the "Best" Shooters in the world to show off their products because everyone knows, YOU CAN'T BEAT A REMINGTON.

So, SHUT UP SUPERDAVE WE GET YOUR POINT AND DONT AGREE SO BE MATURE AND SHUT YOUR FACE. Please excuse me for that.
This guy laid into a supporting member with no provocation and his reason? Because the military uses it. That is moronic and it's not the first time I've seen this type of argument. So this thread was more for the guy who posted the above reply. This thread was not meant to insult or upset anyone else around here. But it hit me wrong when some guy just blasts another member and their argument is idiotic. Sorry I should have included this in the OP.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 03-13-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

darin,
I don't know you but expect you may of not spent any time in the military. I have and while the firearms provided were not my personal choice they are some of the best mass produced firearms available, understand the firearm have to be mass produced due to the numer of men and women that carry them in the military. With that being said doesn't it seem reasonable that a novice gun owner might look to what the military or LEO is using to defend themselves? Honestly if it works well in are war zone or for a LEO to carry isn't it more than enough for regular guy? Field tested by military or LEO seems like a reasonable qualifier to me.

I hear stories police departments buy the cheapest gun they can but that isn't true otherwise all police departments would carry hipoints or something like it. Police departments might not buy the high end but in most cases buy a firearm that is proven to preform above civilian use. The military standard are even higher.

Tell me if I am wrong

The rem 700 was part of what prompted this? Freaking hard to argue it's credits IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 03-14-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
darin,
I don't know you but expect you may of not spent any time in the military. I have and while the firearms provided were not my personal choice they are some of the best mass produced firearms available, understand the firearm have to be mass produced due to the numer of men and women that carry them in the military. With that being said doesn't it seem reasonable that a novice gun owner might look to what the military or LEO is using to defend themselves? Honestly if it works well in are war zone or for a LEO to carry isn't it more than enough for regular guy? Field tested by military or LEO seems like a reasonable qualifier to me.

I hear stories police departments buy the cheapest gun they can but that isn't true otherwise all police departments would carry hipoints or something like it. Police departments might not buy the high end but in most cases buy a firearm that is proven to preform above civilian use. The military standard are even higher.

Tell me if I am wrong

The rem 700 was part of what prompted this? Freaking hard to argue it's credits IMHO
I agree. No I was not in the military, but yes I am retired LE. I did address your statement pretty much word for word in the post just above yours. I agree that people do look to LE and military in some ways to make their decisions, however like I said in the post above yours this thread was actually started because a member called out a supporting member and blasted him over some statements he made. When it came time for him to justify his statements, he recited that the 870 was good enough for the military and therefore was automatically better than the Benelli. That is the fan boy crap I was referring to.

I understand that we do not make a decision on a new piece of equipement solely on price, however that is how a lot of the field is narrowed down. I was on one of the cadre's that choose the new stocks for our 870's and even though we all wanted the Mesa Tactical stock we ended up with a cheaper off brand. Why because the upstairs told us that it appeared to be the same as the Mesa and was cheaper. So I do have experience with why some decisions are made the way they are. The same thing happened when we got the Glocks. I was not vocal, because I did not know anything at the time, but there was a majority that wanted a Sig. We ended up with Glock for the same reasons.

I am not in anyway saying that people who look to LE or Military for guidance are idiotic, I was only pointing out that people who will start an argument and will only use this as their major point with no original thoughts.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Closed per OPs request

Closed Thread