Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Got me a project i'm gonna do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Got me a project i'm gonna do

Well I brought home a Wheel Horse tractor that I'm gonna restore.

I'm also gonna make videos of me restoring it and post them on YouTube.
(Now I'm not a professional at making videos so we will also see if I get better at that)

I figure it's something to do when the snow hits the ground and plus I'll have a movie by the time I'm done of the whole restoration process.

After I get done with each video I will post it up in here so Ya'll won't have to hunt it down on YouTube!

This is my first installment. Just an overlook of the tractor before I start on it.
(I know I need to clean my garage)

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Last edited by RadioActiV; 09-30-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

How about some background on Wheel Horse?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

What you gonna do with her when she's done?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Very cool. Please keep us in the loop.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default background

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
How about some background on Wheel Horse?
(source Wikipedia)

The business was started in the two-car garage of Elmer Pond in 1946. He began building two-wheel, self-propelled "Walk-Away" garden tractors that were sold under the Pond name. The framework was typically simple angle or channel iron and various surplus motorcycle and automotive parts were used. In 1947, a four-wheel tractor, the "Ride-Away" model was introduced for garden use. It was also made from crude parts and without a hood for easy service access.

The demand for garden tractors was rapidly increasing as households with small gardens found them rather inexpensive, practical to use for a variety of chores, and they were economical to maintain. By 1956, the business had become very successful. The company began to build a range of small to large lawn and garden tractors, in addition to a line of riding lawn mowers. A characteristic of the products was their standardization through the years. The most popular model and year was the R-J58 Wheel Horse 1958, it came without a mowing deck, but one could be added.

A new model was produced in 1958, which included a three-speed transmission. This transmission is called the Uni-Drive transmission that Elmer Pond designed in 60 days. One tractor model was named Rj-58 and included a Clinton B-1290 or a Kohler k-90 engine. The Rj-35 used a Clinton B-1200 engine with a belt driven transmission. When equipped with a Briggs & Stratton 2.5 horsepower (1.9 kW) engine, the model of the tractor became RJ-25.

The attachments remained the same for the RJ series. From 1956-1957 wheel horse changed the color of the wheels from black into an almond color.

The demand for these little tractors grew so much by the end of 1959 that they could not keep up with production. Sales were over US$4.5 million.

In 1960 there were significant style changes. However, the engine location immediately in front of the operator and the 12-inch (305 mm) wheels stayed the same. Two models of tractors were introduced this year: the model 400, with a 4 hp (3.0 kW) Kohler engine and the model 550, with a 5.5 hp (4.1 kW) Tecumseh-Lauson engine. These two models were known as the "Suburban" tractors.

In 1965, Wheel Horse introduced two tractors with a hydraulic drive system, the model 875 and 1075 "Wheel-a-Matics", making them the first hydraulically driven production machines on the market.[1]

To expand snow removal options beyond the dozer blade attachment for its tractors, the company also added snow blowers to its power products with the "Reo" snow thrower line.[2]

The company's products earned a good reputation in the marketplace. The 1968 Ranger was a high-end 6 hp (4.5 kW) rider with big rear wheels, "husky front suspension", and featured a two-year warranty.[3]

In April 1968, Wheel Horse entered the snowmobile market by purchasing the Sno-Flite snowmobile line of CE Erickson of Des Moines, Iowa.[4][5] Six-models called "Safari" ranged from 295 to 440 cc producing 18 hp (13.4 kW) to 30 hp (22.4 kW) with an optional electric start system, and were priced from $845 to $1,195.[4] Sno-Flite snowmobiles were made by Wheel Horse until 1972, when the linewas sold to Parts Unlimited, who continued support for the products until replacement parts ran out in the late-1970s or early-1980s.[6].

There were eleven models in four lines of lawn and garden tractors by 1974: the 8 hp (6.0 kW) "economy" A Series with standard 32-inch mower and electric or recoil start, the "compact" B Series with a four-speed or automatic transmission, the C Series offering four models (the C-120 and C-160 automatic, and the C-100 and C-160 8-speed), as well as the top-of-the-line D Series featuring automatics in D-160, D-180, and the D-200 powered by a twin-cylinder, 19.9 hp (14.8 kW) engine.[7]

The business was acquired by American Motors (AMC) on May 24, 1974.[8] The company paid $30 million as it expanded into non-automotive markets.[9]

Twelve years later, in mid-August 1986, Wheel Horse was spun off from AMC and purchased for $8 million by Toro

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
What you gonna do with her when she's done?
I'm gonna keep her and use her. But I also plan on taking her to the annual Wheel Horse collectors club tractor show in PN. To see if I can win a position with her.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pictures of the Horse

Here are a few pics of the Horse, before I brought her home.

2010-09-11-16.07.39.jpg   2010-09-11-16.07.52.jpg   2010-09-11-16.07.58.jpg