Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Goodbye .50cal...and what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Goodbye .50cal...and what next?

Well well. I wonder what clueless bureaucrat decided the firearms laws needed a bit of tweaking, all for our own good of course...

From the 'Proposed amendments to the Firearms Importation Regime'

Quote:
Articles classified under Item 2 can be imported under the Police Certification test, administered by the States and Territories. This means that calibres previously designed for military use are being marketed to civilian shooters for extra long range target shooting and hunting. In particular, a number of international manufacturers are releasing firearms capable of firing .50 calibre Browning Machine Gun (BMG) cartridges and derivatives of this cartridge.

.50 BMG firearms pose a significant risk based on their very long range and high penetrating power. The cartridges are over 14 centimetres long, can fire a projectile over a distance of up to 3000 metres, and are capable of penetrating an inch of armour plate at 200 metres.

In military use, these projectiles are designed to destroy parked or low flying aircraft, light armoured vehicles, armoured limousines, bulk fuel storage facilities and to penetrate buildings.

In the long range sniping role, they are also capable of accurately hitting human targets at a range in excess of 1500 metres. These firearms therefore pose a high threat if used for criminal or terrorist activities.

There is little justification for civilian ownership of these firearms.

Proposal

It is proposed that the Regulations are amended so that .50 BMG firearms, cartridges, derivatives of these cartridges and cartridge components are subject to higher import controls under the Regulations.

The effect of the amendment would be that these articles are only available to importers under the Official Purposes, Specified Purposes and Returned Goods tests.

Not only proposing a .50cal ban, but as a consultation paper seeking input as to which other military rounds should be considered. And who exactly is likely to be 'consulted'...wouldn't be the same Gun Control Australia who was instrumental in designing the 1996 laws, would it?

"Calibres previously designed for military use"?

Where is this likely to end? .223...308 etc

Of course any chambering greater than .22 could be used to 'snipe' with.

Note again the insinuation that these calibres need to be controilled lest they be used for "criminal or terrorist activities"....and by definition the only people who would be affected by these legislative changes would be the licensed, law-abiding shooter

Here we go again.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You're exactly right in my opinion. Criminals will always find a way to get any firearm or caliber they want.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

What a load of tripe. They ban the weapons for you but the criminals get them and you in turn have no defense. I dont know what the hell the Australian and British government get together and smoke, most likely pole, but the laws are horse droppings. I feel for you man. You need to come stateside and get out of that communist country.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Also might as well point out that .338 Lapua is on it's way out at a couple of Sydney ranges (never been legal at mine, as far as I know) and also in South Aust, as again that is being classified (or re-classified) as a "sniper" round.

So this $8965 baby would be out

Wouldn't be surprised about the future chances for this Ruger .416 Hawkeye either

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm I didn't know this. From another forum, quoted directly:

Quote:
The 50 and its ballistic superior little brother the 416 Barrett, the governments stand was a joint decision reached by both our government and Hillary Clinton being the US secretary of state, the basis for the removal of these calibres was that (the 50 and 416) were not in the best interests of public safety here in Australia.

A joint decision to disarm us? Well, isn't that neighbourly of her

Quote:

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

The 50BMG machine gun was designed for military use. The 50BMG rifle was designed for civilian use on extreme long range targets. The military found them useful and originally purchased them from civilian sources not military contractors.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That is all I can physically manage to say at the moment... I'm so pi$$ed over this.