Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Good Reading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

The best fiction has already been written, most of it is history.
Of course it is. The victors always write the "true" happenings of past events

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm late to this thread. I used to read a lot of the techno military novels, still have some of them in paperback. I really like Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series.
I am drawn to historical novels and autobiographies. Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose is an amazing read about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

The River of Doubt is a telling of Theodore Roosevelt's trip down the Amazon that is entertaining as well as a primer on the unknown jungles of South America. Written by Candice Millard.

Larry McMurtry is a pullitzer winning author best known for Lonesome Dove. There are four books in the Lonesome Dove series, with Lonesome Dove written first, telling of the triumphs and tragedies of the old west. The other books, The Streets of Laredo, Dead Man's Walk, and Comanche Moon giving the story of early Texas and how the band of Rangers came together. McMurtry does incredible historical research and brings in real events to his stories. I re-read these every few years, I like them so much.

I'll have to try to remember some of the other's I have or have read and post them too.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!