Good Reading Thread
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Good Reading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default Good Reading Thread

OK, because of a suggestion I am starting this thread on reading. I don't care for TV or movies, I love to read. This thread is dedicated to people like me.

I'll start off by naming one of my most memorable reading experiences. It was "The Old Man And The Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. I was 13 years old and as I was going to bed one night I took it off the shelf to read in bed before going to sleep. I read it cover-to-cover, finishing at around 2:00 AM. When I finished reading I was absolutely parched, I had to drink about a gallon of water before by thirst was slaked. I have read it again several times since (last time was 30+ years later) but the first time was the best.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

William w. Johnstone is another awesome writer. I like you viking am an avid reader. I prefer westerns, scifi, and AITG books. I will read most anything though.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Something Of Value by Robert Ruark. Also, The Old Man And The Boy by Robert Ruark.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #4

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I like Johnstone and Hemingway, but I'm more of a scifi guy, one of my favorites is Robert Heinlein (not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Like viking, when I picked up "The Old Man and the Sea" I didn't put it down until I finished. I seem to recall walking into a wall at one point while reading it.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #5

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I like Johnstone and Hemingway, but I'm more of a scifi guy, one of my favorites is Robert Heinlein (not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Like viking, when I picked up "The Old Man and the Sea" I didn't put it down until I finished. I seem to recall walking into a wall at one point while reading it.
You should check out John Ringo, he has some AWESOME books.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:

Heinlein is a good writer. On of my favorite scifi writers is r.a. salvatore.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #7

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17

You should check out John Ringo, he has some AWESOME books.
Yeah I read Ringo and Weber too. I really enjoy them, I just like Heinlein better. John Scalzi is also an awesome writer, "Old Man's War" was great.

Salvatore is good, but then you find more fantasy to his (her?) name, and I can't really say I've been into fantasy for a while. Laurel K. Hamilton ruined fantasy for me with her bestiality troll erotica. I just can't do it anymore, if elves, fairies, vampires, trolls, or werewolves come up I get the heebie jeebies because of Hamilton's filth. You know its bad when a dirty man like me gets turned off from it.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:

Yeah I read Ringo and Weber too. I really enjoy them, I just like Heinlein better. John Scalzi is also an awesome writer, "Old Man's War" was great.

Salvatore is good, but then you find more fantasy to his (her?) name, and I can't really say I've been into fantasy for a while. Laurel K. Hamilton ruined fantasy for me with her bestiality troll erotica. I just can't do it anymore, if elves, fairies, vampires, trolls, or werewolves come up I get the heebie jeebies because of Hamilton's filth. You know its bad when a dirty man like me gets turned off from it.
Ya i know what you mean. I also like W.E.B Griffins books.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #9

I loved Sci-Fi when I was younger. Heinlein was a favorite along with many others. They didn't stick with me. I am currently reading "Nineteen Eighty Four" by Orwell again though. Douglas Adams was a genius not only in the sci-fi genre but in the use of the English language. Absolute genius.

I have an almost complete collection of Lois L'Amour's books on hand (I probably have them all, just not all in leatherbound hardback). L'Amour is a great writer. Max Brand was good, but not as good.

I'm giving up too much too early.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I liked Terry Brooks' books. Not at all erotica. I don't care for that at all in a book. It detracts from the art of writing. If you want erotica you can read Penthouse.

To be honest I don't read much fiction these days. I liked Tom Clancy back in the day but since he has gone to ghost writers I don't like his titles as much.