Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Good hearing protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Good hearing protection?

I went yesterday to Indianapolis to take the ASVAB test and a full medical physical for the ARMY National Guard, I passed the ASVAB with an above average score and passed the rest of the physical with flying colors. When I took the hearing test they said I failed it, they said I have high frequency hearing loss in the 3000, to 4,000 hrz. range.

They disqualified me until the National Guard doctor at the Pentagon could reveiw my stats. I was told that I would probably still get in, but it's up in the air until then. The doc. said it was caused by shooting guns and from work. I'm looking for some good quality hearing protection that I can use will shooting and at work. I was thinking of the electronic ear muffs that muffle gun shots but amplify voices. I need something for work that allows me max. protection but allows me to still here a 2-way radio. Any suggestions?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow! Sorry about the test results brother. I would imagine that range, 3,000 to 4,000hz won't be much of an issue unless you were going for sonar tech or something where hearing is SUPER important.

We have three pairs of Pro Ears in the range kit. One pair for me, one for lady and one for someone if they are joining us for the first time.

WARNING: Those aren't cheap, they are quite pricey, but my eyesight and my hearing have always been important to me and I spend a little more than necessary to protect both.

You can get cheaper pairs of the electronics that will provide in the normal range, around 19 or 20 Decibels of noise reduction. Those might work for you depending on what kinds of noise you are around at work.

I have seen people double up with foam inserts and then electronic earmuffs over those. I have done it myself when someone has a hand cannon at the booth next to me, but it does affect your ability to hear a normal conversation.

I would shop for a type you like, them maybe hit Brownells or MidwayUSA - or one of the other shooting supply stores and see what you can get for a good price on a unit you like.

Best of luck in the search and with the medical review!

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #3

Thanx for the info, JD. I found a pair at Wal-Mart a few months ago that I considered getting that run about $50. I have a pair that aren't electronic, I think they are Silencio, the standard dark red pair. When I was younger, I wen't out and shot guns and never wore protection and it has come back to bite me in the ass. Of course, I just shot a .22 rifle then.

The doc. said that I wouldn't be able to be a sonar tech but I didn't want that MOS anyways, plus it's in a completely different branch. My MOS is 19Delta, or CAV. SCOUT, which is basically recon. My cousin and his friend are my recruiters and they say that they've seen people with worse medical problems pass.

Also, part of my hearing loss is probably due to when I started my job last year, I didn't always wear ear plugs. My company provides them but I just chose not to wear them sometimes which was stupid, I know. I used to drive a 35-ton Euclid dumptruck (the trucks with the 7 foot tall tires) and the operators cab sits about 3 feet away from a 500-hp Cummins deisel engine. I don't drive that truck anymore cause they replaced them with newer, quieter trucks but I still wear my H.P. anyways.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No problem brother. If you find a pair that is rated for above about 20 Decibels, you should be doing fine.

I don't know too much about Silencio, but they are a common brand. I see them at the range all the time. I am sure you can find a good model that will offer the protection you need.

The only concern I would have about Cav Scout would be if your hearing was unable to hear a twig snap or the switching of a safety to the "off" position.

Here's hoping that you are able to get in and get the MOS you want. Best of luck to you...

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

This range of hearing will prevent yu from doing a few jobs. I wanted to work on aircraft engines but My hearing loss is in the same range and you can't work on jet or turbin engines because many of the noises you are listening for are in that range.

Other than that and a very few select jobs you should be ok.

I personaly think I hold the world record for the most times threw a MEPS station I have been no kidding 22 different times to MEPS it got to the point I knew teh docs nurses and all the military people that worked their by first name. Got kicked back for a rash under my arms when I changed deoderent, I am flat footed, normal arch, and high arch on my feet. I got kicked back because of a wrist surgery for a knee ingury that was nothing more than hitting my knee and cutting the skin. Let see High range hearing loss low range hearing loss being a deserter from the Navy because my recuriter slipped up on one number of my SSN They had the MP there and they were putting me in handcuffs when my recuiter came in and told them to back off for now untill he figured it out. I forget much of why I was kicked back. I told him on the last time if I don't make it now piss on it I quite. You should be ok with what you want to do.

WOW some one who knows that a Euclid is woo hoo. Them sucker are loud enough to wake the dead and make them go def. I used to run a Cat 621F scraper That puppy there is loud too esp when the muffler blows up and the mechanic has to order one in and it take 3 weeks. I was wearing plugs and muffs still hurt my hearing.

Cav Scout they sit out in front in a Bradly waiting for something to move then they freekin wack it 3 times with the 25mm. At least that is what my buddy did. They would sometimes dismount for a quick recon patrol. most of the time they just hung out in a BFV and ate MRE's

Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #6

While I can't personally recomend these Electronic muffs I have met 2 people at local ranges who were using them and both have said they bought them as their second or third of E-Muffs and wanted to see if their more pricy models were worth all the money they had spent and they claimed to not be able to tell the $100+ difference .

Go to Missouricarry.com and then to their store they sell a pair for $49.99 that I am talking about , you would need to call them to get the specs on them because they are not listed on the website .

Good luck hope they let you in the branch you desire .

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Well that's what I don't understand. The doc. asked me if I knew I'd failed the hearing test because we were required to carry our own medical folder while at MEPS. I told him I didn't know how to read the results chart but that loss of hearing was the last thing I was worried about. I told him I thought I had good hearing cause I can hear squirrels moving in the woods from a ways off. He told me that didn't matter.

My cousin is one of my recruiters and he said I have about a 60/40 chance of still getting in, 60 yes/40 no cause that is the range that is barely audible anyway. I hope they take me cause they really need people, surely they'll look at my file and say this guy passed everything else, has never been in trouble with the law and is mentally stable.

I'm kinda left hangin until the Pentagon clears me, though.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The best thing going is cheap foam plugs. You want some that offer a noise reduction of 33 dB or more. When shooting, there is no reason that they can't be paired with a set of muffs, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I was told that I might not be able to get in due to a knee injury. The Surgeon General signed off on my profile and gave me a limited range of MOSes that I was allowed to do, which sucked because I dreamed of being EOD. My profile stated that I wasn't allowed to lift or carry anything more than 50 pounds and I wouldn't be able to walk for more than 5 miles at a time. I also would be barred from most ASI schools due to it. Not knowing fully what the MOS entailed, I selected 96R. As a 96R, I frequently carried packs that weighed in excess of 120 pounds, with another 40 pounds of web gear and often a SAW or 60 on to of all of that and regularly did movements in excess of 20 miles with this load.

I begged them at MEPPS to allow me to go to jump school, but due to the profile I couldn't. After a month in basic, my Senior Drill Sergeant came to me and asked if I was ready to go to jump school. He informed me that if I was still truly interested, that he would make it happen. The profile disappeared from my DD201 and the rest is history.

Stand up for yourself, make it happen and don't give the bastards the satisfaction.

Good luck brother, Scouts Out!

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 08-20-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

Thanx for the help, and words of confidence. I really don't have a lot of other options that I want to do. One perk of choosing to go into Cav. Scouts is because it's armor (kinda) I would do my training at Fort Knox, which is about 20 minutes from my house. I thought about doing 88M but that's motor transport and I about sick of driving trucks for now.

Yeah, those damn Euclids sure are loud. Not only do you have the noise from that huge Cummins but you also have that turbo screaming right outside the passenger door too.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #10

I just thought of a possible simple solution to your hearing loss , have you gone to an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor and had your ears cleaned out ?

You would be surprised at how much crap gets in your ear canal , especially if you work in a dirty environment and the loss it will cause .

Please just don't dismiss this out of hand if you really want a particular job because the Doctors giving you your physical didn't mention it , military doctors are notoriously incompetent .

There was a piece on 60 minutes a few years back and the Army had people practicing medicine when they had flunked state Board exams and couldn't legally practice in the civilian world yet the military let them .

I have a brother inlaw who has had sever Gout for years all due to medicine prescribe for something else while in the Army .

He told us that when he switched stations from Texas to Germany and went to the DR. for the joint pain he was having , after testing he had a DR. come in and sit down and start reading his medical history and began laughing out loud , finally looked him in the eye and said "well here's the reason you have gout , this medicine you were given last year has been known for years to cause it and it should have only been given to you if what you had was life threatening and it wasn't"

O and BTW you can't sue a military Dr. even if he causes sever harm or even death .

I never use plugs and muffs because when I was a teen I had an inner ear infection the ENT Doctor that treated me said the last thing you want to do is shove something in your ear canal because all it does is act like a ram rod and shove and pack wax and crap farther down in your ear .