Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Good GPS between $100 and $200?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Good GPS between $100 and $200?

What is a good gps in that price range? Looking at getting one maybe, would like to start geocaching with the kids.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

tango try this, it's the one I have and works great. No frills, works with cars, bikes, and hiking. But what ever you get make sure it's a touchscreen.

Newegg.com - GARMIN nüvi 205 3.5" GPS Navigation

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Nüvi 205W

I buy a Garmin Nüvi 205W (widescreen version of the regular 205) and works great, do the job and does it well. But that is for car aplication, for geocaching use the Garmin Geko 201 (too basic) or a Garmin eTrex Legend H (the best bang for the buck), it works for less that $200
Here's a link: Garmin eTrex Legend H

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 03-09-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Adding external links...

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Sorry I am looking for a GPS that can be used to geocacshing. Not driving. I can barley stand the radio on in the car I don't talk on the dam phone and I don't want no gizmos cluttering up my windshield 99% of these people don't need a dam gps they juts have it to say look at me I have a gps.

I jsut want it to go geocacshing and use it for hunting and whatnot.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

You can use a Garmin for those applications. We had a BIG off-topic discussion about using Garmins and other GPS units for hunting in the academy. One guy said both him and his father have a Garmin when they go out hunting and they work GREAT.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
for geocaching use the Garmin Geko 201 (too basic) or a Garmin eTrex Legend H (the best bang for the buck), it works for less that $200
Here's a link: Garmin eTrex Legend H
You can find the eTrex Legend H around $150, for $200 you can try the Garmin eTrex Vista H
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Years back I bought a Garmen GPS 12. for around $150.00. I'm not sure what the new model number is but if you can find out, you can't go wrong. The keypad is located below the screen which works well for one-hand operation. The Garmen's have "track back" capability that comes in real handy. I use it in the boat as well as on land. Highly recommended. Hunter Joe

Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Geocaching - nice. I get a real kick out of that. I use my Blackberry Storm with cacheberry in an Otterbox case - very accurate as well (kind of like a .22lr conversion kit for a nice firearm lol) and you can save your cache notes, hints, and even have them sent to you via email or go to the site of your choice when out and about to refer to on the road but my older Garmin Vista CX is great and very accurate. Nice thing about the dedicated Garmin GPS is that geocachingcom has a plug-in that directly downloads your waypoints directly to the unit w/o other 3rd party apps. You can find the Garmins on craigslist or ebay for quite a bit less than new.

Would love one of the New Oregon touch screens but my new Kimber is hungrier!

Geocaching.com handle is Agent_H also. For a fellow cacher I would be willing "to find" ya the North America Topo pack for the Garmin on my server...

Hope it helps

Agent_H

Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #9

Liked 666 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 672

I have a Garmin E-trex I bought years ago. Works very well. I still find myself using a compass while hunting.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have an etrex I have used for a few years. Has all the basic functions you would ever need, fairly intuitive operation and decent batt life. Very light, pretty rugged too. Can find them cheap now, especially if you catch a sale.