Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is this AS good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is this AS good?

Hey guys. So I've decided I wanted to attend a Police Academy before an education degree.

Is the certification received from the Police Academy as good as a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice? Meaning am I going to get paid the same? Eventually I want to get a Bachelor's in CJ but I have a very good opportunity presented to me at the moment and I want to take it.

Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

The Police Academy is the Police version of military boot camp. The academy gets you in shape, trains, instructs and prepares you to become a LEO. Once you graduate, you then are hired on as a LEO by the sponsoring city or state department. Once hired on, most go to college to get a degree in CJ to move up and get promotions and higher pay grades in the department. Some departments may require one to have at least 60 hours of a CJ degree to get hired on. Federal law enforcement agencies require a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice or other specialty. A Bachelor's degree will pay higher anywhere.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Once you graduate, you then are hired on as a LEO by the sponsoring city or state department. Once hired on, most go to college to get a degree in CJ to move up and get promotions and higher pay grades in the department. Some departments may require one to have at least 60 hours of a CJ degree to get hired on.

So when you're hired on, you go to college and they wait for you to get the degree? Or are you working while getting the degree?

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can give you some advice, but it only applies if you live in CA. Like IGETEVEN said the academy is pretty much boot camp for PD. You learn the basics and they try to get you in shape. It does not take the place of an educational degree, however some of the units can transfer.

The best advice I can give you is if you get a degree, don't get one in CJ if you plan on being a "beat cop." What the agencies in CA want to see is either Business Degrees (which promotes management expertise and promotional opportunity) or one in Psychology which shows that you have a better understanding of behavior and how to approach diverse people.

If you are going to be a beat cop, in other words you will always work for a PD and not become a lawyer, DDA, CYA or anything like that, then all you need to know about law you will be taught in the Academy and continued with legal updates, training and experience.

Edit: If you get hired and choose to continue your education, most agencies in CA will pay for your schooling. Some will require a contract while others don't. I just saw this in IGETEVEN's post about 60 units before you will be hired and he is right. Don't go to the academy and expect a job right out of the gate, they want people to prove their desire to be a cop in some cases. If you aren't really sure you want to be a cop, go on some ride-a-longs and see if they have a cadet or explorer program. This will give you some great experience and exposure while you go to school. Furthermore, it will give you a chance to prove yourself and maybe get sponsored through the academy. Then not only do they pay for it, you get paid to go.

Hope this helps you out

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-02-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post

The best advice I can give you is if you get a degree, don't get one in CJ if you plan on being a "beat cop." What the agencies in CA want to see is either Business Degrees (which promotes management expertise and promotional opportunity) or one in Psychology which shows that you have a better understanding of behavior and how to approach diverse people.

If you are going to be a beat cop, in other words you will always work for a PD and not become a lawyer, DDA, CYA or anything like that, then all you need to know about law you will be taught in the Academy and continued with legal updates, training and experience.
I did a quick google search and didn't get any insight on what DDA or CYA is. What is that?

Long term goal is federal work...hopefully work for the FBI. Maybe SWAT.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I did a quick google search and didn't get any insight on what DDA or CYA is. What is that?

Long term goal is federal work...hopefully work for the FBI. Maybe SWAT.
Hehehe...everyone wants to be SWAT or FBI. That's good, but remember EVERYONE wants to be SWAT or FBI and TRUST me it's not all it's cracked up to be, SWAT that is. But thats another story. Look into your state level Bureau of Investigations as well, great training, great experience and theres no offices in the Arctic Circle to get transferred to.

DDA-Deputy District Attorney
CYA-California Youth Authority, they're Parole for our little Juvenile angels.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I got my BS is LE/Police Science. Used my degree to challenge the State licensing exam. Passed the test and worked 13 years before going to the Academy as an instructor. I never attended a Police Academy. I taught/coordinated two basic certification courses. I learned a few things and found that a lot of the stuff I developed on my own through trial and error are taught in the basic class.
The two are BOTH good training. The college degree gave me a leg up on topics like report writing. The Academy will give you a leg up on procedures and tactics. The Academy will keep you alive but the Degree will help you thrive. (I just made that up)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Hehehe...everyone wants to be SWAT or FBI. That's good, but remember EVERYONE wants to be SWAT or FBI and TRUST me it's not all it's cracked up to be, SWAT that is. But thats another story. Look into your state level Bureau of Investigations as well, great training, great experience and theres no offices in the Arctic Circle to get transferred to.
Lol. What makes you say that about SWAT? What's wrong with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I got my BS is LE/Police Science. Used my degree to challenge the State licensing exam. Passed the test and worked 13 years before going to the Academy as an instructor. I never attended a Police Academy. I taught/coordinated two basic certification courses. I learned a few things and found that a lot of the stuff I developed on my own through trial and error are taught in the basic class.
The two are BOTH good training. The college degree gave me a leg up on topics like report writing. The Academy will give you a leg up on procedures and tactics. The Academy will keep you alive but the Degree will help you thrive. (I just made that up)
Nice. I plan on attending the Valencia Criminal Justice Institute. It's going to be 5 months of intense training. Only problem is it's just a cert and not a degree, and I want to do federal work. However I feel like I'm in extraordinary shape so I don't want to pass the opportunity to go into the academy.

Do you know if the FBI makes exceptions to no degree?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Do you know if the FBI makes exceptions to no degree?
Not very likely, unless you possess some extraordinary and unexplainable super mental ability to solve complex crimes, see the future, and catch criminals on the top 10 most wanted list.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Not very likely, unless you possess some extraordinary and unexplainable super mental ability to solve complex crimes, see the future, and catch criminals on the top 10 most wanted list.

Jack
Well then I guess I'll get in, because ironically enough, I possess all those characteristics you mentioned.
FBI, here I come!