Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Is this AS good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/good-22900/)

slip 02-01-2010 09:27 PM

Is this AS good?
 
Hey guys. So I've decided I wanted to attend a Police Academy before an education degree.

Is the certification received from the Police Academy as good as a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice? Meaning am I going to get paid the same? Eventually I want to get a Bachelor's in CJ but I have a very good opportunity presented to me at the moment and I want to take it.

Thanks for the help.

IGETEVEN 02-01-2010 09:56 PM

The Police Academy is the Police version of military boot camp. The academy gets you in shape, trains, instructs and prepares you to become a LEO. Once you graduate, you then are hired on as a LEO by the sponsoring city or state department. Once hired on, most go to college to get a degree in CJ to move up and get promotions and higher pay grades in the department. Some departments may require one to have at least 60 hours of a CJ degree to get hired on. Federal law enforcement agencies require a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice or other specialty. A Bachelor's degree will pay higher anywhere.

Jack

slip 02-02-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 222841)
Once you graduate, you then are hired on as a LEO by the sponsoring city or state department. Once hired on, most go to college to get a degree in CJ to move up and get promotions and higher pay grades in the department. Some departments may require one to have at least 60 hours of a CJ degree to get hired on.


So when you're hired on, you go to college and they wait for you to get the degree? Or are you working while getting the degree?

Thank you.

DarinCraft 02-02-2010 12:48 AM

I can give you some advice, but it only applies if you live in CA. Like IGETEVEN said the academy is pretty much boot camp for PD. You learn the basics and they try to get you in shape. It does not take the place of an educational degree, however some of the units can transfer.

The best advice I can give you is if you get a degree, don't get one in CJ if you plan on being a "beat cop." What the agencies in CA want to see is either Business Degrees (which promotes management expertise and promotional opportunity) or one in Psychology which shows that you have a better understanding of behavior and how to approach diverse people.

If you are going to be a beat cop, in other words you will always work for a PD and not become a lawyer, DDA, CYA or anything like that, then all you need to know about law you will be taught in the Academy and continued with legal updates, training and experience.

Edit: If you get hired and choose to continue your education, most agencies in CA will pay for your schooling. Some will require a contract while others don't. I just saw this in IGETEVEN's post about 60 units before you will be hired and he is right. Don't go to the academy and expect a job right out of the gate, they want people to prove their desire to be a cop in some cases. If you aren't really sure you want to be a cop, go on some ride-a-longs and see if they have a cadet or explorer program. This will give you some great experience and exposure while you go to school. Furthermore, it will give you a chance to prove yourself and maybe get sponsored through the academy. Then not only do they pay for it, you get paid to go.

Hope this helps you out

slip 02-02-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 222940)

The best advice I can give you is if you get a degree, don't get one in CJ if you plan on being a "beat cop." What the agencies in CA want to see is either Business Degrees (which promotes management expertise and promotional opportunity) or one in Psychology which shows that you have a better understanding of behavior and how to approach diverse people.

If you are going to be a beat cop, in other words you will always work for a PD and not become a lawyer, DDA, CYA or anything like that, then all you need to know about law you will be taught in the Academy and continued with legal updates, training and experience.

I did a quick google search and didn't get any insight on what DDA or CYA is. What is that?

Long term goal is federal work...hopefully work for the FBI. Maybe SWAT.

DarinCraft 02-02-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 222947)
I did a quick google search and didn't get any insight on what DDA or CYA is. What is that?

Long term goal is federal work...hopefully work for the FBI. Maybe SWAT.

Hehehe...everyone wants to be SWAT or FBI. That's good, but remember EVERYONE wants to be SWAT or FBI and TRUST me it's not all it's cracked up to be, SWAT that is. But thats another story. Look into your state level Bureau of Investigations as well, great training, great experience and theres no offices in the Arctic Circle to get transferred to.

DDA-Deputy District Attorney
CYA-California Youth Authority, they're Parole for our little Juvenile angels.

robocop10mm 02-02-2010 03:45 PM

I got my BS is LE/Police Science. Used my degree to challenge the State licensing exam. Passed the test and worked 13 years before going to the Academy as an instructor. I never attended a Police Academy. I taught/coordinated two basic certification courses. I learned a few things and found that a lot of the stuff I developed on my own through trial and error are taught in the basic class.
The two are BOTH good training. The college degree gave me a leg up on topics like report writing. The Academy will give you a leg up on procedures and tactics. The Academy will keep you alive but the Degree will help you thrive. (I just made that up)

slip 02-05-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 222952)
Hehehe...everyone wants to be SWAT or FBI. That's good, but remember EVERYONE wants to be SWAT or FBI and TRUST me it's not all it's cracked up to be, SWAT that is. But thats another story. Look into your state level Bureau of Investigations as well, great training, great experience and theres no offices in the Arctic Circle to get transferred to.

Lol. What makes you say that about SWAT? What's wrong with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 223218)
I got my BS is LE/Police Science. Used my degree to challenge the State licensing exam. Passed the test and worked 13 years before going to the Academy as an instructor. I never attended a Police Academy. I taught/coordinated two basic certification courses. I learned a few things and found that a lot of the stuff I developed on my own through trial and error are taught in the basic class.
The two are BOTH good training. The college degree gave me a leg up on topics like report writing. The Academy will give you a leg up on procedures and tactics. The Academy will keep you alive but the Degree will help you thrive. (I just made that up)

Nice. I plan on attending the Valencia Criminal Justice Institute. It's going to be 5 months of intense training. Only problem is it's just a cert and not a degree, and I want to do federal work. However I feel like I'm in extraordinary shape so I don't want to pass the opportunity to go into the academy.

Do you know if the FBI makes exceptions to no degree?

IGETEVEN 02-05-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 224830)
Do you know if the FBI makes exceptions to no degree?

Not very likely, unless you possess some extraordinary and unexplainable super mental ability to solve complex crimes, see the future, and catch criminals on the top 10 most wanted list. :cool:

Jack

slip 02-05-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 224869)
Not very likely, unless you possess some extraordinary and unexplainable super mental ability to solve complex crimes, see the future, and catch criminals on the top 10 most wanted list. :cool:

Jack

Well then I guess I'll get in, because ironically enough, I possess all those characteristics you mentioned.
FBI, here I come! :rolleyes:


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.