Gonna travel the southwest, and gonna do it armed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gonna travel the southwest, and gonna do it armed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Default Gonna travel the southwest, and gonna do it armed

I'll be heading east out of Lost Angels, Fruitifornia to buy some much needed property in New Mexico. I am going to take my AR, my SW637, and my .40 Px4. Maybe I'll take a Mauser too who knows.

My questions are of several degrees.

I know California sucks, I moved here from PA last year and I hate it. And against my Beliefs, I follow it's very stupid laws. Once out of the borders, what am I looking at?

Can I carry loaded in my vehicle and/or on my person throughAZ and NM. ( just the smith, not trying to walk around commando with the lot)

What about getting out to pump gas and go into the minimarts.

I'll mostly stick to the 40 (interstate not my Beretta) until the gallop area, then I'll take smaller highways to my new playground
I read both of the laws, but honestly I'd rather hear it from residents or people who have done it and can put it into words my Publicly Educated mind can figure out. And laws don't mean you won't get harassed either.

And what about ammo? I drive a Cherokee so i dont have a trunk, and with my 500+ 5.56 lots o pistol rounds and if I bring the Mauser, shoot ( literally) I might be packing 2000 rounds! ( kind of the point of this trip, new property I gotta break it in). While I am an honest citizen and a proud veteran, all this might raise a brow or two. ( probably just in ca though). But still, aren't you supposed to have guns and ammo separate and locked up through California? How do I get around this?

Any reason I should have any troubles... Sorry this was kind of drawn out, I tried to keep it somewhat entertaining thanks for sticking through it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Looks like you may have a reciprocity problem with New Mexico.

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/recguide.pdf

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

I do not have a California Concealed permit, for obvious reasons, and I am not worried about concealing in AZ or NM. I am perfectly fine with open carry. Actually I prefer it. But because my current residency is CA does that prohibit me from carrying openly in the other two open carry states?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
I do not have a California Concealed permit, for obvious reasons, and I am not worried about concealing in AZ or NM. I am perfectly fine with open carry. Actually I prefer it. But because my current residency is CA does that prohibit me from carrying openly in the other two open carry states?
No.

Q: If I have my gun holstered in “plain view” on my belt will I be breaking the law?

A. No. New Mexico is an Open Carry State. It is legal to carry a loaded firearm without a NM license, as long as it is not concealed. However, it is not legal to carry any openly displayed firearm in any federal building, school, some state buildings, or licensed liquor establishments. It is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to be informed as to when/where carrying is prohibited. This law applies to residents and non-residents alike.

NM-CCW

AZ has reinstated Constitutional Carry which means you do not have to be a resident to OC or CC.

Now, it's your turn to Google....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

I've been google-ing for a while. Got alot of mixed reports. Along with some reporting unfavorable to non residents. Hence why I'd rather ask someone in real time who has experience, where I can directly ask a follow up question.

However, your post WAS helpful.

I know that NM considers your vehicle as an extension of your home and treated as such. So you should be able to carry concealed or open in your vehicle.
But that doesn't tell me how accepted it is

Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

A few suggestions....Follow each states laws, make sure your vehicle is in good operating and traveling condition and most importantly, DO NOTHING TO DRAW UNWANTED ATTENTION TO YOURSELF.

These always seem to work very well for me when I travel by POV.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Check out our resources:

FTF's guide to Concealed Carry and Travel Resources

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1830 Times on 1055 Posts
Likes Given: 3758

Tea Party member from Albuquerque Open Carrys, no issues from him. I come and go to the Albuquerque City Range.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #9

Like I said, I am more worried about open carry, my 2500 rounds and being from out of state. My jeep, well I'd post a pic for you to see but... I'll refrain