This is going to be a bit long
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > This is going to be a bit long

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default This is going to be a bit long

a freind of mine is starting a commune in Guatemala in a year or so, 9 acres waterfront starter land, possibly a special deed which declares him his own state, negating some laws... I've looked into firearms well enough, but i prefer to talk to people about advanced topics.

Whether there is or not a danger, if only for fun, i want to get heavily equipped when i get there. Minimum low-gauge shotgun and a pistol. my only experience with firearms is .22 pistol, .22 rifle (21 out of 25 in the 1 1/2" center of the target at 25 yards, iron-sights), .45 90 semi-auto pistol. I'm not sure about Guatemalan gun laws, but if i had it my way, id have a 10-gauge, AK47 FMJ, suppressed .45, and possibly a scoped carbine.

A ten gauge, though i read something saying they are becoming obsolete, has a 60 foot/lb kickback, and I've seen them fired on youtube... what I'm wondering is, especially if the muzzle is sawed off, will a shotgun survive significant overcharging? i don't see any viable way to reinforce the barrel.
I plan to get some cheap body armor off e-bay, which will also help pad the fire. they're selling SAS SDU LEVEL 4 Body Armor Assault Tac Vest for $25, and ill probably look into head protection. Lvl 4 is good up to FMJ AKs, and is represented realistically on a PS2 video game called Black, worn by the Russian Shotguneer, whom takes 100 AK rounds to incapacitate. 3.3 lbs.

I don't really have to many question on suppression, AKs or scopes, but information revolving body armor, esp. extra-torso protection, and shotguns would be helpful.

As well, would it be possible to find body armor which would fit an ~54 chest and waist?

Due to my deep respect and resemblance in attitude for my 'enemy' on the game black, the Shotguneer, he stands about 6'6, about 300 lbs, wears lvl 4 body armor, kevlar (or something) helmet, metal mask and wields a 12 gauge Remington 870 or sometimes a SPAS 12.
Sleep well, sweet prince.

err... im 21 years old

You may call me V

Last edited by CrazyCanadian; 05-21-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Firearms are tools. Decide what jobs you want to be able to accomplish and then outfit accordingly. If you want a 10ga in order to hear a loud boom and get a sore shoulder, that's fine. For close personal defense, a 20ga is fine.

Do yourself a few favors. First, verify the local firearm laws and don't break any of those laws unless you have a burning desire to see the inside of a Guatemalan prison. Second, don't use video games as a reference for effectiveness or suitability of firearms. Finally, if you're going to trust your life to body armor, you'd be smart to buy it from a reputable dealer rather than sight-unseen from an ebay auction.

Why Guatemala? Personally, I'd go for Costa Rica (if I were moving out of the country).

Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

Default 10ga

I don't know if anybody makes the 10 Ga? Goose hunting is so popular here we even have an annual festival. Lots of old 10s here. I suppose the new super mag 12s kick more? Sure are loud.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Default Firearms info

First, video games bear scant relation to reality. Yes- they make a 10 guage. Up to about 3.5 inch chamber. However, before you start rying to whomp up a Rambo Special, find out what the gun laws are in your host country. Also consider ammo resupply- lotta places carrry 12 guage- how many bodegas stock 10 g 3.5s? Body armor? Ever try wearing it in 95 degree heat- with 90% humidity? PS- most does not stop high powered rifle ammo.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Body armor? Ever try wearing it in 95 degree heat- with 90% humidity? PS- most does not stop high powered rifle ammo.
Agreed. A good way from comfortable to miserable in .02 seconds... LOL

When I was in Korea the heat index, which was measured heat plus humidity was in excess of 120F for almost two straight weeks. Talcum powder, baby powder, white cotton T-shirts, freezing your underwear for hours before going out in the sun - nothing made any difference 10 minutes after being outside the air conditioning.

Do they make air conditioned armor?

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanadian View Post
a freind of mine is starting a commune in Guatemala in a year or so, 9 acres waterfront starter land, possibly a special deed which declares him his own state, negating some laws...
Does anyone remember Jonestown?
Sounds like a bunch of nuts who need to get a grip on reality.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Does anyone remember Jonestown?
Sounds like a bunch of nuts who need to get a grip on reality.
Maybe, maybe not. Friends and I have looked into purchasing acreage for something similar, but we're not survivalists or religious kooks. It's more about learning and practicing self-sufficiency and being near families we can trust very well.