going back in time - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > going back in time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I would like to go back to the American Revolution.
For practice!
Yeah buddy
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5938 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 5487

Well, if we could go back to a time before we were born, I would like to go back to the 1820s and be a mountain man!

Winston Churchill
dango Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I think the World War two generation were a fine bunch of people. I think the thinking of those times and the morals and work ethic and patriotism - the general lack of greed and selfishness that we see nowadays - was exceptional. The business climate was good and business boomed, partly because the Government stayed out of your business for the most part, people were happier with simpler pleasures. Those were good times to be an American.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

OK- now I am going to be throwing a wet towel in here (yeah, age 16, her name was Jackie- Lord, whatevah I done, doan strike me blind right now)

HOWEVER- setting that aside for a few minutes-

Yes. I recall the 80's- and home mortgage rates over 20%. Inflation that ate into your paycheck (if you had a job- and job hunting that meant reading newspaper ads, mailing resumes at the post office, and driving down to fill out an app.)

I recall the 70s. And the discovery of really incredible pollution (Love Canal, anyone?) And crooked presidents, and our embassy staff held hostage. Gas doubling in price in a few weeks.

I recall the 60s. Little thing called Vietnam going on. Presidents and hopefuls getting shot. Cuba putting nukes in place that would have less than a 5 minute trip to us. Berlin Wall.

I recall the 50s- and things like polio, kids in iron lungs. Learning about "duck and cover" in school. Early enough in the 50s, Korea. Long distance calls that were a small fortune, and took an operator to make. Going long distance meant a couple of DAYS on a train, not a couple of hours.

I recall the 40s- folks dieing from "blood poisoning", since penicillin was just being trotted out. Mumps, measles, diphtheria, whooping cough, scarlet fever. Appendicitis that got you a week in the hospital. Veterans with a shirt sleeve pinned up with a safety pin. Learning what a "displaced person" was.

As a species, we tend to remember the good, forget the bad. Pandora's last gift to us was Hope Eternal.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go think about a little blue eyed blonde that asked me if I wanted to go swimming one afternoon.......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 825

1947/48....

I'd buy a Tucker for pennies on the dollar and buy all the old mil-surps I could...

dango Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5938 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 5487

C3, thanks for bringing us back to reality.

There were bad things in the fifties, no doubt. But sometimes I think I'd be willing to put up with them to once again have the civility, the calm social order and values of that time.

(I was 17, and her name was Colleen)

Winston Churchill
dango Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #17

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Hell, I have done so much in my lifetime, I could not live through doing all over again! Jeezzzt!
Isn't that the truth.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3306 Times on 1861 Posts
Likes Given: 18894

Knowing what I know now , I would have liked to have study law and become the best lawyer the country has ever known and put most of these CEO.s and Politicians in Prison where they belong...!

Live and Die by the CONSTITUTION..!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #19

Liked 367 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 6

suprisingly i'm kinda happy with life now. not gonna lie, there are a couple girls at a few different ages in my life that i would've been curious how things turned out.

when my dad talked about growin up in the 70's & the price of gas & the price of muscle cars, i yearned for that time. but like he told me, "$2000 was just as hard to come by as $10,000 is now."

a co-worker told me how back in the early 80's he was trying to buy the farm down the road but the deal fell through. he said lookin back he's glad it did because the 18% interest & drought that followed would've made him homeless in a few years

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

dango Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7329 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

I would go back to 1996. That was the year my divorce was final, though I had been living alone with my kids the two years before that. I would have done a few things differently from that point on. I would have done things differently with my children and been more patient though I was extremely stressed with my situation. And I also would not have assumed all "step dads" were "evil". You guys here showed me that many step dads are wonderful men who gladly raise children who aren't their own. You have also taught me that many of you love your step dads more than your own biological fathers. I might not have deprived my children the chance for a wonderful step dad as I did. In fact, in May, my oldest is marrying a lovely young lady who has an 8 year old child. My son is a great step dad to that little girl. He does 'dad' things with her that her own father doesn't do. He takes her fishing, hiking, teaches her about nature, helped her sell some unused toys on Amazon and helped her open a $228 savings account with that money, etc.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.