Goin on a cruise - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Goin on a cruise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

I agree, they people who work on the cruise ship work very hard for you to have a wonderful, memorable time. From the housekeepers all the way to the captain.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
So on May 6 im taking my week of vacation and goin on a cruise with the wife. Leaving the kids with in-laws cause the wife and I need to get away for a bit. Leavin out of Jacksonville, Fla port and goin to Nassau, Bahamas then to Little Stirrup Cay, Bahamas. Ive already had several people ask why would you go with the recent Carnival incidents? I cant pass up the price, $656 for my wife and I, plus whats the chances something will happen?

Anyone else gone on one? Its the first time either of us have been out of the country.
A three hour cruise...a three hour cruise...

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #23

Liked 687 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

Been on several cruises over the past 10 years... the last being a Carnival ship out of Charleston to the Bahamas for 5 days during Thanksgiving 2 years back w/ the In-laws (built in babysitters!!). Freeport was a dump... should have just stayed on the boat and watched the ships load & unload in the port... Nassau was great though (be sure to take in the Pirate Museum in the downtown area). Take full advantage of the info desk about what to do and where to go in the ports of call and have breakfast delivered to the room in the morning (Hey... you ARE on vacation here!! Indulge!!)

While Carnival wouldn't be my first choice (Royal Caribbean being that)... they are by far not the worst cruise line I've been on (Holland America was). And I know they've been getting some bad press as of late... but the odds of something going wrong are lower than in an airplane (and you fall out of the sky when that happens) or taking a road trip in your own vehicle... and you get the most bang for your buck too (under $700 for the two of you... GOOD deal man!!) Enjoy and get back to us on how it went..

Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Been on several cruises over the past 10 years... the last being a Carnival ship out of Charleston to the Bahamas for 5 days during Thanksgiving 2 years back w/ the In-laws (built in babysitters!!). Freeport was a dump... should have just stayed on the boat and watched the ships load & unload in the port... Nassau was great though (be sure to take in the Pirate Museum in the downtown area). Take full advantage of the info desk about what to do and where to go in the ports of call and have breakfast delivered to the room in the morning (Hey... you ARE on vacation here!! Indulge!!)

While Carnival wouldn't be my first choice (Royal Caribbean being that)... they are by far not the worst cruise line I've been on (Holland America was). And I know they've been getting some bad press as of late... but the odds of something going wrong are lower than in an airplane (and you fall out of the sky when that happens) or taking a road trip in your own vehicle... and you get the most bang for your buck too (under $700 for the two of you... GOOD deal man!!) Enjoy and get back to us on how it went..
My parents have been on several, Norwegian, Royal C, Carnival and they kinda gave us the lowdown about which cruise to take. While its just my wife and i going, leaving the kids with my parents, we are looking to relax. Itll be an early anniversary trip, we'll be married 5 years on May 17th. We arent really the dress up types, my dressiest outfit is a polo shirt and khaki pants. We will be taking some dressy clothes for dinner one night, my wife is taking her little black dress....

Ill post some pics when we get back.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 887 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
But for me, after spending 20 years in the Navy and many months at sea on a carrier, I Now I only go out in my 19 ft Sea Hunt a day at a time, come home and sleep in my own bed! No more cruises for me.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #26

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
Hope you have a wonderful trip.
But for me, after spending 20 years in the Navy and many months at sea on a carrier, I Now I only go out in my 19 ft Sea Hunt a day at a time, come home and sleep in my own bed! No more cruises for me.
I hear ya there, kinda like after i drive a tractor trailer 1600 miles all week i go home and dont drive on the weekends unless i have too. My wife has never been on a boat bigger than a bass boat, hope she dont get sick. I used to load rock barges on the ohio river and sometimes had to hitch a ride on an 90 foot switchboat so ill be fine.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I hear ya there, kinda like after i drive a tractor trailer 1600 miles all week i go home and dont drive on the weekends unless i have too. My wife has never been on a boat bigger than a bass boat, hope she dont get sick. I used to load rock barges on the ohio river and sometimes had to hitch a ride on an 90 foot switchboat so ill be fine.
Tell her to keep something solid (even if it is just saltine crackers) on her stomach if she does get sick, nothing worse than the dry heaves. Dramamine will also work wonders, but you need to start taking it before you get seasick.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #28

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

My husband and I went on our first cruise this past February on royal Caribbean, and loved it! My parents just got back from their cruise on carnival legend.... That's right the one that was slow moving, that was their ship. They said even with the horror stories they were up for the adventure and had a blast. Just remember every cruise line has their pros and cons, so if there is something you don't like don't be discouraged, there are always different ships and they all are unique in their own way. For the price, go and don't look back . Btw let us know when you get back, and u bet you you won't wanna be home, that's how I felt

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2795 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 1616

On "Surf & Turf" night in the main dining room, order as many tails and filets as you think your tummy can hold, they'll bring 'em!!

One "Surf & Turf" nite, the sides were mushroom & parmesan risotto and steamed broccoli spears, both of which I love. Since I have chronic Gout, I can't just eat beef and shellfish with abandon, so I got the S&T, and asked for 2 xtra sides of both risotto & broc., The waiter said, that he wasn't sure if he could do that because they needed the sides to go with the entrees.

I said, "Fine, I"ll have 3 full dinners! He said he'd check with the galley. He brought me out a football plate with more risotto & broc. than I could eat!

Order it, they'll bring it!!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #30
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post

This comment is funny because on our last cruise we had a long wait at the airport for our flight home after the cruise. Sitting there listening to the other people in the airport talking amonst them selves, almost everbody there was coming off of a cruise. There were 2 couples there sitting together in very bad moods complaining of their cruise on Holland America cruise lines. The rest of us were in great moods from just about every other cruise line around. We decided to avoid Holland American cruises because they made you cranky.