God, this place is boring..
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > God, this place is boring..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default God, this place is boring..

Thanks to my wife, it's not boring anymore. She brought my lap top.. Wanted to go shootin' with Deathkricket yesterday but had stuff to do with the family. And ended up in the hospital. Seems that damn thing called blood pressure can be a biotch.. Gettin' out today though after they drained most of my blood..

See, going shooting with a friend is safer than a "family day".. LMAO !!

Hey Deathkricket, I still didn't get my paycheck after all this crap..Saw your range report already. Nice rifle. Will have to let you shoot my Saiga .308 and compare it to your new toy..

Later Everybody,...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Damn Bro. Do they have you on any meds for your BP? I think if you took a survey, a lot of us around here have regular meds to help control the flow.

Mine runs a bit hot ( like 128/82 ), but not yet into "high" so I am on 10mg of some drug. Lisinopril or something like that. Take it everyday and it keeps me in line.

One thing I noticed when I was in the Caymans and had my little incident, my BP dropped tragically and I felt like death warmed over.

It is amazing that the amount of pressure/volume that your heart is exerting on your inner tubing and how it can affect how you feel/perform.

Hope you feel better soon brother!! God Speed!

JD

Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Dillinger. Appreciate it.. Yeah, my BP runs a bit higher than yours. Average is about 180/110.. Gotta get meds now..
I hear ya on the drop in pressure. That's what happened last night. By the time the ambulance got me here, it was back up to 106/60.. Your right.. Feels like death warmed over !!!
Thank again Bro'..

Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow. That is some serious BP you got there brother. Do you watch Deadliest Catch?

I ask because in one episode a couple of seasons ago Phil Harris, RIP, had a incident in port where his rudder was broke and his mechanic sent him the wrong prop. He went to the doctor and his pressure was close to yours, but his lower number was a bit higher than yours if I recall.

Definitely time to get some meds in you. There is no shame in that. Ignoring it and having your family suddenly watch you drop dead is the real shame.

THIS IS NO TIME TO BE TOUGH OR PROUD!!

Listen Brother, you are needed there, you are needed here, and you need to take this little scare very seriously.

Listen to what the doctor's are recommending for you. Some exercise, cutting back on eating the fatty foods, the smoking ( if applicable ) and the alcohol ( if applicable ).

This is important as it affects many lives and there is no shame or weakness in accepting some help.

Your future starts now my friend. Good luck!

JD

Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I second JD's take on your situation. Easy to keep taken care of and listen to the doctors. Take care and get to feeling better. We don't want to hear of you not following doctor's orders. Having the FTF "shed lecture" is not very enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #6

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I was diagnosed with "malignant or stage 3 hypertension" in 1996. I take a fairly potent B.P. pill once a day and it keeps my B.P. fairly close to what it should be.

The doc has changed up my B.P. med a few times over the years as it seems my system becomes imune to them in time.

A few things I've found out by experimenting on myself about my High B.P. condition are my body weight, and use of tobaco, alcohol, and caffiene of any amount has determental effects on my pressure. For some reason, when it comes to alcohol, beer bumps the B.P. up worse than hard liquor, and white wine bumps it more than red wine. Smoking or chewing tobacco has equal effects in bumping my B.P up. When you first quit smoking or chewing your B.P. will go up for several months also. Caffine, even soda pop have equal effects as well. When it comes to my weight, the less I weigh the less my B.P. is. I started shagging off weight about 3 years ago and keep myself at about 170 lbs. (in the range for my height and build) and that has helped to a fair degree in reducing my B.P.

Physical activity, and I dont mean just physical activity related to work, helps in reducing the B.P. as well. IMO you just need enough activity to get some "muscle burn" 3 to 4 times a week and sustained increased heart rate for 20 to 30 minuets a couple of times or so a week. I find riding my mountian bike (my knees are near shot) a couple times a week works well for me. Also gradually work your physical activity up over time for this stuff as you dont want to potentially throw yourself into a heart attack or stroke.

One last thing, keep track of your potassuim blood levels. Alot of these B.P. pills literally leach the minerals out of your system. I had an experience about 3 years ago when at home one evening I started having severe chest pains that traveled down my left arm and I was breathing fine but couldnt seem to get any air. Well after a spendy ride to the emergency and near 2 days in the hospitol they found that I had a ruptured hyatal hernia, which gives similar symptoms as heart attack. While in there they had run all kinds of tests for potential causes for heart attack and the results came back very good except for one thing. They noticed an intermittent abnormality in my heart beat. When doing all the other tests, my blood test showed that my potassium was dangerously low. They said that the potassium levels should be between 3 and 5 and mine was 1. They also said that this low of potassium blood level could cause problems with heart beat. They gave me massive potassium in the I.V. and my heart beat straightened out quickly.

I take a script potassium pill daily now with my B.P. pill as to counter the adverse side effect the B.P. pill causes. Potassium level is right about 4 now and heart rate is regular and leg cramps went away when sleeping at night.

Sorry I have gone so long about this B.P. stuff but I take it very serious. When I was diagnosed I didn't even have a clue I had it and my B.P. was 224/190. My B.P. now with meds is usually around 130/88. Still a tad high but much better than without meds. Also, I have two long time friends that have had strokes in the last year. Both of these guys knew about their high B.P. but did little to nothing to curb it. I was one of the paul bearrers to the one friends funeral this last Augest. He was 43 Y.O. My other friend had his stroke in December and is totally paralized on his left side. He's my age (54) and going through therpy in hopes of maby being able to walk again. This friend and I have shot alot of competitive and non competitive trap and skeet over the last 26 years. My friend will not be shooting trap and skeet anymore.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yesicarry, hope you feel better soon so you can go out pop some caps. My best.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Easy does it amigo.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks to all for the kinds words and advice that is being taken !!.. Finally home now..
Thanks again.. Sure helped..