Go West Young Man, Go West

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Go West Young Man, Go West

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Go West Young Man, Go West

Some 40 years ago my folks took my brother and I camping out west. Now it's time for me to take my bride and a couple of the grand babies on a similar vacation.

We are going to lease a RV and planning this trip for the summer of 2011. We plan on going to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and wherever else the wind takes us. I want to hit Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, and of course the Rapid City area.

Any feedback I can get on campground or points of interest would greatly be appreciated as I plan on making reservation ASAP. Thanks in advance, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Joe, do not know where you live, but a point to consider- when I lived in Colorado, we had flatlander tourists that would come out, decide to go visit the high country, and get a quick (and sometimes expensive) lesson about altitude sickness. There is one road in CO (Mt Evans) you can drive in your car that ends at 14,290 ft above sea level. This is almost 2,500 ft above the point that a pilot is supposed to be on supplemental oxygen. If your home altitude only has 3 digits, you might consider how high you are going to be going. And enjoy the trip.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

We did Yellowstone 2 years ago. Beautiful. We stayed at a great place called Grizzly RV Park, at the west entrance of Yellowstone. Nicest RV park we saw while there. They do have a RV park right in Yellowstone that is smaller and more crowded but in the park. The park is huge and we spent four days getting to all the best sites. I would plan at least five days to see the park completely.
Luckily we had a tow car as driving the RV to all the sites can be difficult and expensive.

Too much to say on forum, I’ll pm you my phone number.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #4

Hey Joe
I found a great state park, just south of Rapid City, really close to Hot Springs, SD, that i want to recommend to you.

clean, well kept, quiet, and not many tourists know about it, mostly locals camp there.

We had a great experience while there, much quieter and relaxing than camping in Rapid city, just as close to all the tourist attractions

have a great trip! SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Angostura

edited to add: Wind Cave is awesome, the mammoth site is worth seeing too.

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra

Last edited by mwsfarm; 05-23-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added info

Old 05-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is nice Hunter Joe I hope you guys have a wonderful time!!!!

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm working on the itinerary and trying to figure out how I'm going to do this trip in two weeks. I'm thinking of extending it into three as the round trip will be over 3000 miles. The coming home isn't so bad as it's around 1600 miles from Kalispell, MT. to home. It's the getting there and seeing everything that's going to be the challenge.

c3shooter, I'm from Wisconsin and all the flatlander are from Illinois. I've been up over 9000 ft. without too much difficulties. We plan on taking it slow and acclimating to the higher elevations and I'm also bringing my mountain bicycle because I'm too old to run uphill.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The phrase "Go West, young man" has long been attributed to Horace Greeley, but it is actually an abbreviated form of a statement made by Sen. Barney Frank. The entire quote goes "Go West, young man, but wetoon to my woom waitah!"

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."