Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Glow On review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/glow-review-32825/)

doctherock 10-09-2010 06:29 AM

Glow On review

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so the review process begins.

I was given the oportunity by Gatopardo and Dillinger to test and report on Glow On. I am a no nonsense kind of guy and to me integrity matters. You can expect my true opinion on this product as I am not affiliated with the company and believe the fine members here deserve the truth.

In the beginning there was light.
I received my package, minds out of the gutter, in the mail on Wednesday this week. After doing the reading of instructions I decided to get on with the testing.
I applied the product to my Springfield XD40 that night, allowed it to dry 30 minutes and re-applied. After the drying took place, I waited till the next night, I put it to the test. The lights I use in my residence are compact fluorescent bulbs of the "daylight" variety. I allowed the XD40 to charge up until bedtime and stuck it in its drawer. I awoke approximately 3 hours into my non-existent sleep and checked on the sights. They were glowing nicely and would work well in the dark. They stood out very nicely against the pitch black that is my room. Upon arising at 6 am for work I checked again and still they were glowing.
I will say that if you are expecting tritium sight brightness and bling you will be disappointed. I will post the pics I have so far and will update regularly. I have another test under way and will report on it soon.

First pic is with lights on in the living room.
Second is in the shadows.
Third is in pitch black so I apologize for the pic quality. It is the mini-14 with the sight painted for barrel reference in the dark, also I used the tape that came with the package and put it on the tactical lights for finding in the dark, they are black.
Last but not least, and I again apologize as it was pitch black in the room, is the XD 40 in total darkness with the glow on.

doctherock 10-09-2010 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another picture of my small tactical light I keep by the bed. The tape on these is awesome to say the least. They glow brightly all night.

The thin band is the tape and the dot is a drop of the Glow On.

CA357 10-09-2010 07:19 AM

Cool, thanks. Please keep us in the loop.

doctherock 10-09-2010 07:21 AM

Most certainly. I will be doing some weather testing on it as well.

orangello 10-09-2010 02:49 PM

SWEET! I will be following this; one of my factory white dots is dinged on my XD45.

Dillinger 10-09-2010 05:55 PM

An excellent report Doc! Thank you for taking the time to do a thorough review of the product.

Thank You to Gatopardo who was willing to let some forum members test the product free of charge or influence.

JD

jca1 10-09-2010 11:29 PM

Stay tuned, my review will follow soon also.

jca1 10-10-2010 05:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my honest review.....

Pros:
-The paint on stuff is not runny. It is very thin however, but it's sticky. It's weird, I know.
-It does glow

Cons:
-the little dots are almost unmanageable, I lost one.
-They are not sticky at all really.
-I don't like that you have to paint over everything with clear fingernail polish.

I painted the sights on my model 65. It looks stupid now. I charged the stuff with a flashlight for about 10 seconds, maybe less. It glowed really bright. I put it in the closet. I checked it 30 minutes later and it was still glowing pretty bright. Seems pretty good to me given the little time I charged it. I'll check again to see just how long it glows and post up tomorrow.

Overall as of now I give it an 8.

First pics show the paint in light, next show it glowing.

gatopardo 10-10-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jca1 (Post 365922)
Here is my honest review.....

Pros:
-The paint on stuff is not runny. It is very thin however, but it's sticky. It's weird, I know.
-It does glow

Cons:
-the little dots are almost unmanageable, I lost one.
-They are not sticky at all really.
-I don't like that you have to paint over everything with clear fingernail polish.

I painted the sights on my model 65. It looks stupid now. I charged the stuff with a flashlight for about 10 seconds, maybe less. It glowed really bright. I put it in the closet. I checked it 30 minutes later and it was still glowing pretty bright. Seems pretty good to me given the little time I charged it. I'll check again to see just how long it glows and post up tomorrow.

Overall as of now I give it an 8.

First pics show the paint in light, next show it glowing.

My wife is still laughing at the: "It looks stupid now" part, just don't let the stuff get on your shirts, I have dozens of t-shirts with glow-spots:eek:

Shihan 10-10-2010 06:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just some quick thoughts on the Glow On. I am still in the process of testing. I have some of the adhesives on different things around the house. I have some of the paint on a Coffee mug. Doing some durability testing with that, dishwasher and hot Coffee.

Now, the paint on is easy to apply. No problems there.
The little dots as mentioned before are slightly difficult to apply and are not very adhesive alone. I gave up, I was getting frustrated, will try again.
They are very bright when giving a charge. I am still testing the lasting effects.

Here are a couple pics of it on the Ruger P345. I didn't realize how hard it is to take a picture in the dark.
I know you can't wait to see "The World's Greatest Sigma™", sorry to disappoint but that will come in the final review.;)