Glow-On, Again... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Glow-On, Again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'm still a non-believer. Unless this stuff is an entirely new formulation of strontium aluminate........or it rocks a Geiger-Müller counter off scale, 12 hrs is a real stretch.

I'm not doubting your tests, I'm just an old man with fixed experiences.
I had bought some of that stuff before the official FTF test group was formed. I have used it on a few different things and tried a few different methods. So far I have not got the 12 hour glow but it has lasted a few. The pressure sensitive (stick-ons) seem to last longer than the stuff in the bottle. The one thing I have noticed is they do seem to collect any ambient light in low light situations giving me just enough to see it even if they have not been charged for a good while. A weapon on my person but not totally concealed like around the house type stuff or sitting on my desk with no real light source (I'm a vampire) other than my LCD monitor at night. It seems to me that the more material you can get applied the better. So those sights that the dots are not flush and you can fill in the hole it works a little better. than applying to some flat surface. But I tried one painted up like the Heinie Straight Eight sights and it did OK.

Bottom line is the stuff does work a little better than most the similar products I've seen out there lately. A replacement for "real" night sights? No, but it does give regular sights a little extra. For what you're paying for the stuff it's pretty hard to compain about it's performance. But it's not going to perform any miracles. The longest real glow I've got was around seven hours. It will hold some kind of glow a bit longer and if it has some source of indirect light it can keep a little glow almost indefinably it seems. I guess if you carried open it be real good.

If you're going to paint up your sights it's worth looking into. It's going to work better than a bottle of testers model paint because it will glow. It's fantastic for my ever elusive remote control. That alone made it worth the purchase for me in the time it's saved me looking for a remote in my bedroom. The wife has enjoyed the slight lack in my foul language while hunting for that battery powered frustration device.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'm still a non-believer. Unless this stuff is an entirely new formulation of strontium aluminate........or it rocks a Geiger-Müller counter off scale, 12 hrs is a real stretch.

I'm not doubting your tests, I'm just an old man with fixed experiences.
Cane, do I need to do a pich black 12 hour test for you?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #13

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Looks as though you did your flashlight up the same as I did. Works good especially when the power goes out on you. Also glows all night on the stand next to the bed.
Doc, that is exactly the reason I followed your lead.

The last few times we have had a power outage around here in the evening, I can't find squat because it gets really dark inside the house. I have several flashlights scattered about, but finding THEM in the pitch black has resulted in a few stubbed toes to say the least.

My hope was that I could leave one near the bed that "glowed" so I could find it easily in the dark of the wee hours. So the Glow-On has accomplished that, but not as well as I had hoped. Using only the ambient light in the room during the day charges the strips enough to where they DO have a faint glow during the night - and I CAN find the flashlight IF they got enough light during the day. But what about cloudy/rainy days?
What if there was a fire and I need to find it in a smokey atmosphere?

I don't really want to have to put the flashlight under a lamp every single day in order to get the bright glow that lasted for at least 9 hours during my first trial run.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #14

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The pressure sensitive (stick-ons) seem to last longer than the stuff in the bottle.
That seems to be my first impression as well.

Quote:
The one thing I have noticed is they do seem to collect any ambient light in low light situations giving me just enough to see it even if they have not been charged for a good while.
I think the "orange" dots work faster at collecting the light more so than the "green" ones, although they only glow for a few minutes. Which is why I would be interested in a liquid version of the orange material.

Quote:
A weapon on my person but not totally concealed like around the house type stuff or sitting on my desk with no real light source (I'm a vampire) other than my LCD monitor at night. It seems to me that the more material you can get applied the better. So those sights that the dots are not flush and you can fill in the hole it works a little better. than applying to some flat surface. But I tried one painted up like the Heinie Straight Eight sights and it did OK.
That's why I wanted to do my "side-by-side" testing to compare the difference if any. In my case, I found the opposite to be true. The thinner coat of Glow-On on top of a reflective white base (pistol on the right) appears *to me* to be brighter and glow longer than the pistol on the left, which has no white base coat, but a thicker layer of the Glow-On instead.

Quote:
... A replacement for "real" night sights? No, but it does give regular sights a little extra. For what you're paying for the stuff it's pretty hard to compain about it's performance. But it's not going to perform any miracles. The longest real glow I've got was around seven hours. It will hold some kind of glow a bit longer and if it has some source of indirect light it can keep a little glow almost indefinably it seems. I guess if you carried open it be real good.

If you're going to paint up your sights it's worth looking into. It's going to work better than a bottle of testers model paint because it will glow. It's fantastic for my ever elusive remote control. That alone made it worth the purchase for me in the time it's saved me looking for a remote in my bedroom. The wife has enjoyed the slight lack in my foul language while hunting for that battery powered frustration device.
Agreed.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #15

Default For the love of God do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Cane, do I need to do a pich black 12 hour test for you?
Easy way to do it:

Take a square of the self adhesive, stick it on the bottom of a coffee cup, expose for about tens seconds to the evening sun at about 5-6 PM cover it leave it in your room and forget about it.

Wake up before sunrise, don't turn the lights on, check it out, Can you see the small square yes? no?

Last time we checked after 13 hours, it glows

Tip:
Best way to charge, get it real close to the light source whatever it might be for about 5 seconds.
How do i know is charged? Glow looks electric, good to go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way gents, thanks for the attention,

Thanks for a fair review, thanks for taking the time.

Our basic concept is: It works, only if you use it!.
You never know when you really need it until you do, best example, TV remote. It doesn't occupy space. It is super affordable. It's better than most similar products.

Would I trust my life to it? Of course not, I wouldn't trust my life to a gun either.

Is it better than something else? Like a friend of mine used to say: "The only bad gun, is the one you don't have when you need one"

Above all good customer service:

Payed for some and didn't like it, just let me know and I'll send your money back.
Wanna try it? Tell me where to send some.
Did the darn Nit****ers take your money and sent nothing? We pick that flag, no charge. (Done it several times).
The Post office dropped the ball? I'll send it over and over until you get it.
Have a question? anytime friends.
Just try me

Thanks again, Gato

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 11-05-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #16

This stuff is pimp! I received a kit from gatopado and I dig it. It's good for what its intended purpose and for the price you can't go wrong. I highly recommend to those who are budget conscience and want to spiff up gun sights etc.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #17

I purchased a bottle myself for my Beretta PX4 sights they are dimpled along with the sights on my Ruger LC9. The PX4 was so easy and simple, just 2-3 coats and then clear fingernail polish over the top of it.... they always glow a little, enough for me to get a sight picture.

The LC9 though... those sights were a pain in the butt because of the curvature on the rear sight. But I was able to apply it any get it to work properly. I really like this stuff and would recommend it to anyone... I want to put it on more stuff in the house like the remotes a few flashlights, but I have guns on layaway right now. They will need their sights done.

I have not tried the paper though, I have a feeling it may hold the glow a little better.

I just wonder if $100 sights are really worth it anymore with this on the market. I've never had night sights so I can't really make a comparison.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Damn, you guys get to sleep 10 hours?

Must be nice...

I have had mostly positive experience painting my sights.

On CC pistols, the Glow-on(and most other paints) tends to

get worn off the front sight quickly.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #19

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Damn, you guys get to sleep 10 hours?

Must be nice...

I have had mostly positive experience painting my sights.

On CC pistols, the Glow-on(and most other paints) tends to

get worn off the front sight quickly.
it will last alot longer than normal if you cover it with clear fingernail polish . I got a bottle and the decal back in december . the decal glows for about 3X of the paint . I recently opened the bottle up and its starting to get lumpy and dry out . So my conclusion is if it sits much longer than a yr its going to be dried up and head for the waste basket . great stuff for the price though .
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

it will last alot longer than normal if you cover it with clear fingernail polish . I got a bottle and the decal back in december . the decal glows for about 3X of the paint . I recently opened the bottle up and its starting to get lumpy and dry out . So my conclusion is if it sits much longer than a yr its going to be dried up and head for the waste basket . great stuff for the price though .
I purchased mine less than a month ago and after doing my first gun i sealed it up tight, put it back in the zip lock bag and pulled it out today for another gun. It's already forming clumps and i stirred it with the wooden applicator. The clumps stayed...

I store it in a shoe box with the previously mentioned steps in my environment controlled bedroom... I'm guessing my mid sized bottle is going to last 6 months before it's dried out... I picked the mid size because i did not think it would dry out... Kinda regretting getting the bigger bottle now.

On another note after application and it's dried I cover with clear fingernail polish as well to avoid having to reapply at LEAST a year hopefully longer considering the dry out issue.