Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Girlfriend/wife issues/boyfriend/ husband issues with guns? haha (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/girlfriend-wife-issues-boyfriend-husband-issues-guns-haha-58504/)

94browninghunt 02-22-2012 06:18 PM

Girlfriend/wife issues/boyfriend/ husband issues with guns? haha

Anyone have the lady or guy in their life upset about the number of guns you own? My girl of one and a half year thinks shell limit me only to 1-2 or maximum of 3 rifles when we get married...idk how thats gonna go haha. How about you? and any tips on how i can persuade her that i should own more?
:D

texaswoodworker 02-22-2012 06:25 PM

Nope, I'm hard-headed, so even if a gf/wife banned guns in the home, I would keep bringing them home anyways. :D

rjd3282 02-22-2012 06:35 PM

Every married man should remember it's always easier to apologize later than it is to ask for permission. ;)

BlueTurf 02-22-2012 06:48 PM

My wife doesn't have a problem with the number of guns I have, just the stuff I keep buying for them. I can never have enough ammo or reloading supplies.

trip286 02-22-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
Anyone have the lady or guy in their life upset about the number of guns you own? My girl of one and a half year thinks shell limit me only to 1-2 or maximum of 3 rifles when we get married...idk how thats gonna go haha. How about you? and any tips on how i can persuade her that i should own more?

Limit her effing shoes, see what she has to say about that crap.

My wife thought she was going to tell me "no guns allowed" and then it dawned on her that I was going to work everyday with a belt fed machine gun.

Now the gun rules are common sense. Can we afford it? Is the rent/car payment/cable bill/electric bill/insurance payment/ due? Will it put us in a bind?

Just like other wants vs needs expenses, as long as it doesn't hurt us financially, I'm free to get any gun I want.

The reason I only have three is because I'm always broke... Not because the wifey says no...

JTJ 02-22-2012 06:58 PM

I would be looking for a new girlfriend. Preferably at the shooting range. It is not going to last if she is making all the rules so save yourself some future grief and dont waste your time. She at least gave you a warning and the alarm bells should be going off. We have been married 46 years and I dont ask permission or apologize when I bring home a gun. I do not however spend money we dont have on one and I handle the finances.
Men marry women expecting them not to change, and they do. Women marry men expecting them to change and they dont.

Overkill0084 02-22-2012 07:03 PM

Seems to me that's the sort of thing that need s to be Ironed out prior to exchanging vows. For years, I couldn't really afford to indulge in the firearms hobby, see the pay scale for enlisted military. Other things took priority. My wife wasn't anti gun, just kind of skeptical. I've managed to get her on board. While not a hobbyist, she will come with me to the range now & then and enjoy herself.

partdeux 02-22-2012 07:08 PM

SWMBO has more firearms than I do :)

But, financial non agreements can lead to tough discussions, aka fights. Get it resolved, listen AND UNDERSTAND her reasons. At a different time have a calm discussion about just one of her points.

masterPsmith 02-22-2012 07:11 PM

I would be looking fo someone else or convert her by letting her buy what she wants to shoot, if she is into shooting. I could not see giving-up 70+ guns of mine for anyone...........My guns were there first........

Jim.........

fmj 02-22-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94browninghunt (Post 717033)

This is too damn simple. Start the debate and win it. YOU have the facts on YOUR side. after calmly and logically shooting down every last "reason" she has for her stupidity, challenge her to go to the range and get her started shooting. Start small, slow and easy and work your way up. Soon enough you will have a wife (to be) thats as enthusiastic about firearms as you.

$H!T, my ole lady "didnt care for" guns when we met 24 years ago today. Today she has laid claim to me 1911and Ruger .44 mag carbine. She shoots proficiently with the ole Win 61 and my S&W 686. The only reason she hasnt laid claim to the rest is shes a bit skeptical about touching off the big dogs...God help me she ever grows the chesticles to try my 06 on for size....i fully expect she will be laying claim to my AR shortly after it comes home in March. :rolleyes:

Its a double edged dagger!